A HUGE crash is coming.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:45:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  A HUGE crash is coming.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A HUGE crash is coming.  (Read 1270 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2011, 11:37:28 PM »

Get ready. Within the next 12 mo., Greece will default, and then all hell will break loose.

There will be a major, major conflict between Germany and the European Central Bank, the latter will attempt to commit unlimited unsterilized QE to defend Italy and Spain from following in Greece's footsteps. The former, particularly in the Bundesbank will howl as loud as it can about Weimar and hyperinflation.

Meanwhile the region will be engulfed by political turmoil, with out-parties benefiting and incumbents being destroyed, and fringe parties also benefiting.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 04:07:33 AM »

Such a shame, when unlimited unsterilized QE would solve the problem right now (or would have months ago).  Stupid Germany.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:56:50 PM »

Get ready. Within the next 12 mo., Greece will default, and then all hell will break loose.

There will be a major, major conflict between Germany and the European Central Bank, the latter will attempt to commit unlimited unsterilized QE to defend Italy and Spain from following in Greece's footsteps. The former, particularly in the Bundesbank will howl as loud as it can about Weimar and hyperinflation.

Meanwhile the region will be engulfed by political turmoil, with out-parties benefiting and incumbents being destroyed, and fringe parties also benefiting.

Be careful.  The end point may not be a Greece default, it may be a later act.  And there is always the strong possibility the ECB saves Greece to only allow complete annihilation to occur because a hole goes unplugged somewhere else and they can't save it.

But whatever...  Is anything in the Euro area solvent other than maybe the Bundesbank (and Germany by proxy) for now?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:29:42 PM »

Oh hai all my money in Australian miners, how you doin? What's that, I should diversify in to South American miners? OK. Buy property in the USA? No can do, monies.

--------

If Greece defaults, Italy and Spain are in major trouble. If Italy and Spain are in major toruble, so is the whole of the North Atlantic. If the North Atlantic is in trouble, China is too. At that point everyone is screwed, but the least screwed will be Africa (nothing to lose), South America and Australia (resource-based exports will still be reasonable, even if they lose a lot of their strength). So yeah,  head south or into precious metals directly.

Or good property.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 12:09:37 AM »

The whole idea of solvency of nations troubles me. I mean I realize Walter Wriston's "countries don't go bankrupt" line has taken its place in the pantheon alongside Irving Fisher's "permanently high plateau" ... but at the end of the day, it's true, isn't it? Default is always a political decision.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 12:16:31 AM »

For everyone's sake, I sincerely hope Beet's economic projections are as accurate as his electoral predictions.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 05:29:28 AM »

The whole idea of solvency of nations troubles me. I mean I realize Walter Wriston's "countries don't go bankrupt" line has taken its place in the pantheon alongside Irving Fisher's "permanently high plateau" ... but at the end of the day, it's true, isn't it? Default is always a political decision.

Precisely.  This talk of 'bankruptcy' is really more of that small-minded thinking from the Right, in which the special role of the State in the economy is not acknowledged, and in which private interests are place on a par with the State.  Of course all economic 'problems' short of actual physical disaster (and in many cases those as well) can be solved simply by the application of good policy.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 10:18:07 AM »

I almost feel like it's not fair to the other 7 billion of us that tiny GREECE will take down the world economy.  Oh well.

And the Chinese bubble ought to burst any time now.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 01:40:29 PM »

I almost feel like it's not fair to the other 7 billion of us that tiny GREECE will take down the world economy.  Oh well.

It isn't Greece taking it down, isn't it obvious?  It is idiotic deflationary/contractionary 'austerity' policy on the part of the main economic powers - chiefly the US and the EU.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 11:45:13 PM »

Basically it's up to the CSU and FDP at this point whether or not they want to destroy the global economy. I obviously have little faith in them.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 03:53:33 AM »

Basically it's up to the CSU and FDP at this point whether or not they want to destroy the global economy. I obviously have little faith in them.

The FDP's current main priority is getting more than 5% in Schleswig-Holstein next May. If they have to destroy the global economy to achieve this, so be it. Tongue
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 04:14:16 AM »

Your analysis appears to be fundamentally correct.

However, its not only Germany that has had it with bailing out the PIIGS.  A number of other European countries have had enough.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »

Beet, you are probably right.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies