Brooks and Weinbach: Time Travel Story
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:33:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Brooks and Weinbach: Time Travel Story
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Brooks and Weinbach: Time Travel Story  (Read 2783 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2011, 02:33:12 AM »
« edited: March 30, 2012, 04:25:14 PM by Reaganfan »

I've been working on a Science-Fiction, Political story that I thought some who have previously enjoyed my stories might find amusing.

In the year 2042, the President of the United States is told of a time traveling device created by Dr. Newton Weinbach in 2035.

RADIO ANNOUNCER: "Good morning Washington, it's 7am here in the east, it's June 17, 2042. A beautiful Tuesday morning across most of the country. Here's the top headlines we are following for this hour: President Brooks will be meeting with top leaders on Capitol Hill today to iron out his proposed tax decreases, but some in Washington claim the President's tax cuts will hurt the economic recovery we are seeing throughout the nation. Rebecca Niver is set to be executed by lethal injection later today in Texas following a lengthy legal battle. Niver was found guilty of murdering Police Officer Shannon Alequin outside a restaurant in Dallas, Texas three years ago. Tropical Storm Alberto is drenching areas of South Florida with heavy rain and coastal surge. Alberto is expected to come ashore near Fort Myers, Florida later this morning with winds of around 50 mph. More news at the top of the hour, stay tuned.

RADIO CLICKS. DR. NEWTON WEINBACH SITS INSIDE HIS CAR. HE LOOKS AT HIS WATCH. HE STEPS OUT OF THE CAR. HE WALKS INTO THE INSTITUTE OF RESEARCH BUILDING NEAR ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA. A TALL, HANDSOME MAN, MID-30s, NEWTON WALKS THROUGH SECURITY PERSONNEL WHO HAVE KNOWN HIM FOR YEARS. BUT THEY STOP HIM THIS TIME, AND SECRET SERVICE AGENTS STEP BESIDE HIM.

Agent #1: Dr. Weinbach, I understand this is not normal procedure, but I'm afraid it's nessesary.
Weinbach: What-what is this about?
Agent #1: Sir, just follow me, please.

The agent pats down Dr. Weinbach, and nods at another agent and allows him through the closely guarded doors. The agent guides Dr. Weinbach down an empty hallway, up a flight of stairs into a large conference room. The room is empty except for a table with three men. One of them is the President of the United States.

Brooks: Dr. Weinbach, I presume? Austin C. Brooks. Pleasure to make your acquaintance.
Weinbach: Um...uh...uh...yes...Mr. President, how are you today, sir?
Brooks: I have a pinched nerve in my back, I got the dummies on Capitol Hill tryin' to raise the people's taxes, and I just found out that we have the ability to time travel.
Weinbach: Well, (clears throat) Mr. President...I don't quite understa-
Brooks: LET me interrupt you there, Doctor. I'm 63 years old. In my day we were traveling into Outer Space. In my day kids on my street played baseball and not with video pods. And in my day there was no such thing as time travel except for in the movies. That's what I thought was true. That's what I always believed. That is until four days months ago when my C.I.A. Director informed me of a Dr. Newton Weinbach. A man who has spent years on pet projects including the discovery of time travel. I thought it was bull*hit. So I told my C.I.A. director to shut-up unless he had proof. A mere 48 hours later, he brought me this.

The President pulls a cage out from underneath the table curtain.

Weinbach: It's....it's a bird, sir.
Brooks: Do you know what kind of bird it is, Doctor?
Weinbach: I'm sorry, sir, I didn't study Ornithology.
Brooks: It's a Dodo.
Weinbach: Oh. I see. I think I've heard of them.
Brooks: Yeah. Seen them around? Well, there's one little tiny problem with this Dodo, whom I've named Buck, by the way. Do you know a guy named Volkert Evertsz?
Weinbach: Can't say I do, sir.
Brooks: He was a mariner, a damn Dutchman. He saw one of these little bastards while he was shipwrecked in an island off Madagascar.
Weinbach: No kidding.
Brooks: Nope. He saw it in 1662.

Brooks and Weinbach lock eyes.

Brooks: Dr. Weinbach. This bird has been extinct for the last 380 years. Can you tell me why the President of the United States is holding a live one right now in the year 2042?
Weinbach: No sir I cannot.
Brooks: (smiles) I think you can.

PRESIDENT BROOKS AND DR. WEINBACH WALK TOWARDS WEINBACH'S LAB, SECRET SERVICE AGENTS FOLLOWING A FAIR DISTANCE BEHIND.

Brooks: Buck here isn't alone. He's just out of his time. Your little machine is capable of remarkable things. Indeed, I about fell flat on the desk in the Oval Office when I found out.
Weinbach: Mr. President, I'm afraid I don't understand.
Brooks: (proudly puts his hands on Weinbach's shoulders) IT WORKS! YOU HAVE CREATED TIME TRAVEL!
Weinbach: But sir...the machine hasn't fully been able to grasp thespecial relativity of the-
Brooks: Wait...wait, Doctor. We've been working with your machine, too.
Weinbach: (Cynically) Whose "we", sir?
Brooks: Why the Government, of course. You see, there's the Government. You see it on TV, you see kids in schools across America taking field trips to the Nation's Capitol, you even see us eating hot dogs at fairs across the Midwest...but...what you don't see, my good Doctor...is our other Government.

The door to Weinbach's lab opens, several people dressed in white trenchcoats holding clipboards stand waiting.

Brooks: Dr. Weinbach, I'd like to introduce you to the people who found Buck. They've been working with your little machine here for the past seven years.
Weinbach: But...sir...I've only had the machine for five.
Brooks: (lowers eyes) That's not true and you know it, Doctor.
Weinbach: I'm at a loss for words, sir.

BROOKS RECLINES IN A CHAIR AT A TABLE. WEINBACH AND THE OTHERS JOIN THEM.

Brooks: We received a tip of suspicious science experiments being conducted at the lab you used during your post-graduate work. After doing a little checking, we discovered you were working on a machine to conduct time travel. We took your prototype, made our own and have made gallant efforts to travel. The past doesn't seem to be a problem. Neither does location. You input the geographic latitude and longitude points to their proper standings and select a date and...wala...you're back in time. We've done three successful travels to the past. The first one was with Molly, here.

A woman, brunette with glasses, early 30s, reaches her hand across the table.

Molly: Dr. Molly Callow. Pleasure to meet you, Dr. Weinbach.
Weinbach: How do you do?
Brooks: Well Molly here went off, back in time. She traveled to 1864. She took this video camera footage.

The President clicks a button and a streaming video appears on screen. The video looks new. Weinbach squints his eye as a man in a top hat gives a speech.

Weinbach: Who is that man?
Brooks: I'll give you a hint.

The President flicks a penny across the table at Dr. Weinbach.

Weinbach: Nah...nah...it....it can't be.
Brooks: President Abraham Lincoln. In the flesh. In high quality streaming video, I should add. Molly recorded this herself three months ago.
Weinbach: How can that be possible?
Brooks: Your machine, Dr. Weinbach.
Weinbach: But...how...
Brooks: Molly returned 15 minutes after recording this video. We sent Molly back again, just 48 hours later. The Government likes to do things fast and efficiently. We sent her back to 68 BC. She took a photo of this man.
Weinbach: Dear...is that?
Brooks: Julius Caesar.
Molly: I should add that Caesar himself was quite shocked by the photograph, and I was immediately under siege. I escape with a few scratches but I find it worth it.
Brooks: Yes indeed, Molly. Well...after her return we wanted living proof if A. A person could bring back something more than inanimate objects, and B. If this wasn't all some unbelievable incredible hoax. That's when she returned to 1661 and found our friend Buck, the dodo who sits before you today.
Weinbach: This is...groundbreaking...no...unb-....unimaginable...I can't...I...
Brooks: But her return wasn't that easy. You see we've gotten good at traveling back to precise dates, give or take 18 hours. However, returning is tricky. The first time she came back one hour late. The second time, an hour and a half. The third time, she found herself in Madagascar in 1984. Fortunately, she made the trip back with Buck without arising suspicion. Traveling into the future may be a thing for science fiction, but the past...we've got it, Dr. Weinbach. Your machine has broken the chains that now allow us to travel back in time.
Weinbach: Mr. President, this is astounding. Do you plan to go public? What...exactly was I called here for?
Brooks: (stands up and walks to Weinbach) Doctor, how would you like to change history?

TO BE CONTINUED
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 05:35:39 AM »

Nice. Smiley
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 12:47:56 PM »

President Brooks walks into the Oval Office. Sitting in it is Dr. Newton Weinbach.

Brooks: Ah good, Doctor Weinbach, can I call you Newt?
Weinbach: Ah...sure...Mr. President. Can I call you Austin?
Brooks: No. (chuckles)
Weinbach: (nervously chuckles)
Brooks: I'm just playin' around, Newt. Look. I'm sorry this morning's meeting had to be cut short. I had to meet up with ten different Congressman who said in respectful but disapproving manners what they thought of my tax cuts. But, now that I have you here we can discuss the real reason we brought you in on this. Something this big is monumental, amazing, and even perhaps a threat to national security. Indeed, I could've had you wiped off the face of the planet without a trace. I could've had our people splatter your head all over your bedroom with a suicide note, run you over three times with a garbage truck or spiked your water supply with cyanide. Would you like a drink?
Weinbach: I'll pass, sir. Thank you.
Brooks: (smiles) Indeed, something like this could be dangerous. Sometimes the grasp of certain things can not be fully handled by the public at large. Take 1947 for example. Extraterrestrials crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. Not a myth, not fiction, it happened. President Truman was excited and nervous at the same time. Kind of the way I feel right now. We later figured perhaps they became suspicious of us.
Weinbach: Aliens suspicious of us? Why?
Brooks: We were testing nuclear weapons. Setting them off like firecrackers all over the American southwest. We won the war in 1945. Kept testing and testing. We figure these "beings" were concerned. Something about "splitting an atom" arises suspicion no matter what planet you come from. Anyways, President Truman planned to make the matter public until he was reminded of what had happened just nine years before when "The War of the Worlds" was aired. Panic. Hysteria. I mean even when we made it look like nothing had happened it still spawned movies and comic books about "flying saucers". So we hid it, in order to avoid fear.
Weinbach: So the aliens actually showed up in 1947?
Brooks: (laughs) Not just 1947, Newt. They were spotted by our Military forces in 1956, 1970 and even once in 1983. President Reagan came this close to hitting the button thinking it was the Soviet Union pulling a surprise attack.
Weinbach: Dear God...
Brooks: They have fast moves...but they don't drive very well. They crashed twice that we know of. Once was in Roswell, New Mexico in 1947.
Weinbach: Where else?
Brooks: Ever hear of the Exxon Valdez?
Weinbach: (stunned) You're kidding me?
Brooks: I don't kid, Newt. Slammed right into them. Ran them aground. Oil everywhere. A real mess. We recovered the bodies and made it look like an accident. I guess it kinda was....we just didn't mention the aliens.
Weinbach: Who knew? I mean...how did we...?
Brooks: George Bush knew. Head of the C.I.A. knew. The point is, Doctor, our Government has secrets. But they're not always secrets out to do harm to others. Our government cares about the welfare of our people. We don't want to see panic, or hysteria. We don't want people shooting aliens and we don't want...people who shouldn't be traveling back in time doing just that. You follow me?
Weinbach: Yes, sir.

To be continued...
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »

Apparently by the 2040s Americans are electing clones of George W. Bush.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »

Very interesting. It actually reads a lot like a stage play.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 03:10:34 PM »

Haha, this is awesome, though it's probably because of the aliens. Not sure how I'll be awed by the time travel portion.

They were spotted by our Military forces in 1956, 1970 and even once in 1983. President Reagan came this close to hitting the button thinking it was the Soviet Union pulling a surprise attack.
I'm guessing this is a veiled reference to your nuclear war tl.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 04:41:06 PM »

Very interesting. It actually reads a lot like a stage play.

Not that there's anything on the forum right now that might look like stage play.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 04:27:42 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2012, 01:12:48 AM by Reaganfan »

President Brooks sits with Dr. Newton Weinbach in a conference room at the White House.

Brooks: What do you know about history, Newt?
Weinbach: Some...sir.
Brooks: There have been great advances in medicine, technology, and science. Men like Einstein, Edison, and now you, Weinbach.

Weinbach smiles at the President

Brooks: But there have also been great tragedies. Millions upon millions have been lost over the years in wars, from disease. What if we could go back in time and stop it before it started?
Weinbach: I feel that could be dangerous, sir.
Brooks: Please explain.
Weinbach: The time continuum. See, if we were to change a historic event, say for instance, the murder of John F. Kennedy....then we have altered what today looks like. Odds are you aren't the President, and this conversation never happens.
Brooks: Quite a ride for the mind, isn't it?
Weinbach: Yes indeed, sir.
Brooks: Well, I should note that Dr. Leonard Altermoss of Nevada has strongly recommended that we go ahead with an experiential run of-
Weinbach: Ah...with all due respect, Mr. President...Dr. Altermoss is in and of himself a living fossil. The man's ideas of on everything from general relativity to the game of Checkers are filled with loopholes and arguments can be made to-
Brooks: (clears throat)
Weinbach: Sorry, sir.
Brooks: Look, Newt...I ain't gonna bull*hit ya. This job has had it's share of surprises. I see pictures on the walls here in the White House. Pictures of Washington...Lincoln...Reagan...all of them had their share of surprises. Some we know about, others I'm sure we never will. The point is, things that have occurred in the past can be altered to help mankind. I cannot disavow that, Doctor.
Weinbach: I understand that, sir. What I am saying is that if we go back in the past and change something there may have never been a Washington or a Lincoln or a Reagan. The course is simply too dangerous.
Brooks: Well, it's too late to change course.
Weinbach: How do you mean, sir?
Brooks: I mean Molly is prepping for her next travel back.
Weinbach: (lurches up out of seat) WHAT?!
Brooks: Simmer down, Newt. She's done this before.
Weinbach: No sir, she's traveled before and took pictures of an angry Julius Caesar....she's never CHANGED American history!
Brooks: Woah, woah...I love my country but I don't feel unsympathetic to others in the World.
Weinbach: I'm afraid I don't understand, Mr. President.
Brooks: Europe has had a tough history. Ever hear of the Black Death?
Weinbach: You mean the Bubonic Plague, sir?
Brooks: That's right. You see, the black plague was horrible. It was horrendous. Wiped out 40% of the population of Europe. It was known as the Black Death. It came and went over the centuries. Hundreds of millions were lost. We can stop it now, thanks to what you have created.
Weinbach: Mr. President, that's impossible. I mean...you would have to find the virus in the beginning stages...cure it or treat it to stop-
Brooks: Way ahead of you, Newt. The disease began from Yersinia pestis. The bacteria that led to the plague. It entered England in June 1348 at the port known as Melcombe Regis. Either a spice ship or an Army ship. We're sending Molly back to June 1, 1349. One year later. She will bring with her (grabs folder on desk) streptomycin, gentamicin, doxycycline, and fluoroquinolone ciprofloxacin. All of these antibiotics will be given to townspeople in Weymouth.
Weinbach: But...how will she go about the vaccination?
Brooks: She will go back in garb familiar to them at the time. Remember, Molly is English. She was born in Manchester. She has a degree in history, and medicine. She even helped me with my back pain. (chuckles) Molly is going to stop the bubonic plague in it's steps.

SCENE SHIFTS TO MILITARY LABORATORY TWO DAYS LATER. DR. WEINBACH AND PRESIDENT BROOKS STAND NEXT TO A TEAM OF SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS AND A GIANT GLOWING MEDAL SPHERE MACHINE. MILITARY PERSONNEL ARE NEAR THE DOOR, ARMED. THE PRESIDENT LOOKS OVER AT DR. WEINBACH.

Weinbach: Sir, this isn't my machine.
Brooks: Of course it is, with a few extra features, of course.

MOLLY ENTERS, DRESSED IN CLOTHING RESEMBLING NURSES IN LATE 1300s ENGLAND. WEINBACH EYES HER. SHE LOOKS LIKE A 700 YEAR OLD PAINTING. MOLLY CALLOW WALKS UP TO WEINBACH.

Molly: You're jaw is dropping, Doctor.
Weinbach: (nervously) I-I ....I uh....I apologize.
Brooks: (rolls eyes) Oh gag me...puppy love.
Weinbach: (amid snickers in the room) *whispering* Mr. President....
Brooks: (chuckles then goes straight faced) Now Molly...are you sure you are ready to do this? You know we could hold off and do more research and-
Molly: Mr. President, I am fully prepared. I will treat this like any other mission before hand. Only this time it will make a difference for mankind.
Weinbach: Dr. Callow, are you positive you can stop the plague?
Molly: Dr. Weinbach....I'm positive I can treat it and throw it off course.
Weinbach: (smiles) Well...just don't awe those Englishman too much with your beauty, okay?
Molly: (smiles) I'll try...

DR. MOLLY CALLOW, BACKPACK ON AND IN THE LATE 1300s GARB STANDS IN THE SPHERE.

Brooks: Now Molly, remember our procedure.
Molly: Yes sir.

THE MACHINE LIGHTS UP AND TWO PILLARS BEGIN SPINNING RAPIDLY AROUND THE SPHERE. THE LIGHT BECOMES EXTREMELY BRIGHT. PRESIDENT BROOKS HANDS DR. WEINBACH GOGGLES. THE LIGHT TURNS BRIGHTER...AND BRIGHTER...UNTIL DR. MOLLY CALLOW DISAPPEARS INTO IT. THE LIGHT IMMEDIATELY CEASES AND THE MACHINES STOPS MOVING. THE ROOM IS SILENT FOR SEVERAL SECONDS.

Brooks: Well folks, that's a wrap.

THE PRESIDENT WALKS OUT OF THE ROOM, A CONFUSED WEINBACH FOLLOWS HIM. THEY WALK TOWARDS DOWN A LONG HALLWAY.

Weinbach: That's a wrap? THAT'S A WRAP!?! Mr. President...with all due respect....WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?
Brooks: That was Dr. Molly Callow going back to 1349 in your time machine. You know what it was, you did it before.
Weinbach: No, Mr. President. NO! I sent a bullfrog in 2040 back to Creston, Iowa in July 1995, but I NEVER SENT BACK A DOCTOR TO ENGLAND IN THE 1300S TO STOP THE BUBONIC PLAGUE!
Brooks: (stops walking and looks sternly at Weinbach) NO DOCTOR, YOU DIDN'T...BUT WE DID. I thought you would be much more open to the idea of great breakthroughs for mankind but I can obviously see that my calculations were completely wrong.
Weinbach: Sir...it's not that. (They begin briskly walking again) What if...the machine fails? What if it sent her to the wrong date? What if she's stranded in the Pacific Ocean in the year 2000? What if she's trapped in an Ice Age?
Brooks: Yeah and what-if she's living with the dinosaurs? She's a scientist, she knows the risk.
Weinbach: Oh...okay...she knows the risks. SO WHAT, SIR??!? She's a human being you cannot risk her life to...
Brooks: To what, Weinbach? Save a couple hundred million?
Weinbach: Sir, I have my serious doubts about this project. I mean maybe after another decade or so of continued experiments and advancements we might be able to take a gamble on doing something somewhat like this but right now in my honest expert opinion and considering I am the one who invented this very machine that has allowed Molly to go back into the past through time travel...right now I am skeptical sir and a bit....pissed off!
Brooks: No need to be. We have contingency plans.
Weinbach: Contingency plans? How will we know what happens? When will she return?
Brooks: We don't know when she will return but we will know the status of her work.
Weinbach: HOW? SHE GONNA CALLS US FROM A PAY PHONE IN WEYMOUTH IN 1349?!?!
Brooks: No, smart-ass....she's gonna leave us a hand written note from Weymouth in 1349. It will be sealed. Left underneath a specific point in what is today Brewers Quay, a former Victorian brewery in Weymouth. She has the information on the exact location and once she puts the note there and seals it, we will have an updated version each time she does with news on her medical research and successes and when it is exactly she will be returning. GIVE HER TIME.
Weinbach: I'm not even sure what time is anymore, Mr. President.

TO BE CONTINUED...

hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 07:48:43 AM »

You realize that the President is not treated as the protagonist of this right now.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 01:38:28 PM »

You realize that the President is not treated as the protagonist of this right now.

Of course, I'm the one writing it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 02:26:51 PM »

Typical case of a well meaning authority figure trying to do some good and it will undoubtedly end up horribly wrong. Tongue

By the way, have you ever read the Michael Crichton book "Timeline"?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 10:03:03 PM »

Typical case of a well meaning authority figure trying to do some good and it will undoubtedly end up horribly wrong. Tongue

No, I have not. Thank you for viewing, stay tuned...much more to come. Comments welcome.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 11:36:46 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2012, 01:13:53 AM by Reaganfan »

I should note this is how I envision the main characters...

Dr. Newton Weinbach

President Austin Colton Brooks

Dr. Molly Callow

24 HOURS PASSED WITHOUT ANY SIGN OF A LETTER FROM DR. MOLLY CALLOW. THEN 48 HOURS. FOUR DAYS PASSED. PRESIDENT AUSTIN BROOKS AND A NUMBER OF SCIENTISTS INCLUDING DR. NEWTON WEINBACH GO OVER SLIDES IN A CONFERENCE ROOM IN THE LABORATORY WHERE THE MACHINE SITS. DR. LEONARD ALTERMOSS, WHITE HAIR, MID-70s, SITS ACROSS THE TABLE.

Altermoss: Perhaps she just hasn't made enough progress yet to inform us of her situation. You know, there is no reason to get jumpy here, people.
Weinbach: Molly was going to keep us informed via the letter on the status of the progress, even if there was none. You're spitting in the wind, Dr. Altermoss.
Altermoss: With all due respect, it was your machine that sent her back Dr. Weinbach...so if you're gonna end up getting angry over some stupid-
Brooks: ENOUGH! Dammit, Leo...Weinbach is right. Molly knew about the letter. She knew to keep us informed and give us information about when history might show some results from her travel back. Something isn't right.
Altermoss: Well, Mr. President...what is it you suggest we do?
Brooks: (long pause and a sigh) I don't know.
Altermoss: Are you sure she arrived in 1349?
Brooks: How do you mean?
Altermoss: I mean, what if the machine date sent her back into the wrong era? What if she's in England in the 1800s, or France in the 1200s? Can we really be sure.
Brooks: The past travels back in time have yielded significant results. Besides, even if she did somehow go to the wrong date, Molly has the ability to send herself back and abort the mission if something went wrong.
Altermoss: Yes, but how can we be sure something didn't go wrong? What if she can't come back? Then she is trapped in 1349?
Weinbach: Not necessarily, Dr. Altermoss.
Altermoss: Please...elaborate, Dr. Weinbach.
Weinbach: When I created the machine I added something that even a replication couldn't remove. The ability to go back to the last time traveled. Like a "page back" button, if you will. The next person who travels in the machine could conceivably go back to the exact date Molly did. Even after that, if no other exact date and location have been entered or altered.
Brooks: So...what's the bad news?
Weinbach: If that person goes back...they may themselves become trapped there. The machine has a mechanism that prevents more than one person from coming or going.
Brooks: (leans out of chair) You gotta be kidding me.
Weinbach: Like I said a few days ago, Mr. President...the most I sent back was a bullfrog. ONE bullfrog.
Brooks: But Molly came back with the dodo...
Weinbach: In a cage. A bird in a cage coming back with one human being. Had she attempted to bring back another human with her...the machine would have malfunctioned...and only one person would have been sent back leaving the other in that time...forever.

SIGHS AND MOANS ACROSS THE ROOM

Brooks: So what exactly...is our strategy, here? If Molly hasn't left a note...hasn't come back....one can assume that she may be in trouble. So we send someone back to find her.
Weinbach: But that person has no 100% way of coming back. You realize that, right?
Brooks: Perhaps a Navy Seal....or a Marine...someone who understands the risk and is willing to go back.
Weinbach: I understand the patriotism of our Military, sir. But I highly doubt any one man would sign up for a death mission.
Brooks: What "death mission", Newt? If they can't come back that doesn't mean they die. It means they are stuck in that year for the rest of their life. I've talked to Navy Seals who had harsh conditions...unimaginable...men who felt their lives may well end in that mission. Now we have a mission where one....just one Navy Seal....goes in the past with the likelihood of a successful mission and staying alive, no matter what year it is...I think it can be done.
Weinbach: He will have to be of the highest caliber, sir.
Brooks: Oh, I agree.

THEY RUFFLE NOTES AND REMAIN SILENT FOR SEVERAL SECONDS.

Brooks: So that's it, then. I will get hold of my Joint Chiefs and find the one man to conduct this mission. We will bring Molly back.

AS THE DOCTORS GATHER IN THE PARKING LOT OF THE LABORATORY LATE AT NIGHT, PRESIDENT BROOKS' MOTORCADE AWAITS HIM. WEINBACH RUNS TOWARDS IT.

Weinbach: President Brooks! President Brooks!
Brooks: What is it, Newt?
Weinbach: Can I talk to you, sir?
Brooks: (pauses for a moment) Okay, hop in.

WEINBACH GETS INTO THE PRESIDENTIAL LIMOUSINE. THE MOTORCADE BEGINS DRIVING.

Brooks: What is it this time, Weinbach? Think it's a bad idea? A bad option?
Weinbach: Quite the contrary, sir. I think it's the ONLY option at this point.
Brooks: We will make sure we get Molly back. I should add this soldier will be fully briefed on this mission and the risks.
Weinbach: The assured risks.
Brooks: Absolutely. Look, contrary to popular belief, I'm not as cold and ruthless as I am portrayed to be. The media makes me look that way. They always turn on the President.
Weinbach: I know that, sir.
Brooks: You know, back in '99 I was a sophomore at U.M. I had just married my high school sweetheart, Emily. I loved her so much. She told me she wanted a big house...with roses in the garden and she wanted to have two kids...a boy and a girl. We found a place near Moose Can Gully, about three miles outside Missoula. We had everything we wanted to begin a future together. Well...we were going to the trail outside the city. Gonna set up camp for the weekend. Make a fire. Pitch a tent. Look at the stars. But the weather turned sour real fast. This snow came up out of the canyon area real bad. Zero visibility. I tried to call her cell phone but...there was no reception. Not back then. I left her a voice mail to turn around. Head home. It got too cold and too snowy. We had no chance of camping, of course. So I kept calling and calling. Nothing. They found her two days later. Car flipped over, wedged against a tree. I lost everything that night. My grades went in the sh*tter. My motivation was gone. Of course you will read that my wife died in a car accident in 1999 and that I was a poor student who was "kicked out of U.M." Not everything is as it seems, Dr. Weinbach. It's not always as it looks or is read. History isn't always written the way it was intended.
Weinbach: Mr. President....I-I'm sorry. I'm terribly sorry about what happened to your family. Look, I know Molly was trained for this type of thing but I just...
Brooks: Look, Newt...I saw the way you were looking at her. You were eyeballing her like you were looking at the most gorgeous thing you ever saw.
Weinbach: (pauses) ...I was, sir.
Brooks: (chuckles) Well hell...when she gets back to 2042, ask her out on a date.
Weinbach: That's the thing, sir. I'm concerned about her coming back. What if she's in trouble?
Brooks: We'll take care of it.

SCENE SWITCHES TO THE LABORATORY, A NAVY SEAL WALKS IN, IN FULL OPERATIONAL GEAR. HE IS 28 YEAR OLD WILLIAM NORRIS.

Norris: Lieutenant William Norris reporting, sir.
Brooks: Good...good...at ease, soldier. Now, I presume you have been fully briefed on your mission, correct?
Norris: Yes sir.
Brooks: Go back to when we sent Molly, find her and return her to the present.
Brooks: Use any evasive action to ensure her protection.
Brooks: (pauses) Very well, Lieutenant.

DR. WEINBACH NERVOUSLY LOOKS AT PRESIDENT BROOKS...AND LIEUTENANT NORRIS GETS INTO THE MACHINE. HE GOES BACK TO THE SET DATE OF JUNE 1, 1349 OR WHATEVER TIME IT WAS THAT MOLLY WAS SENT BACK TO.

Brooks: Well, that's that.
Weinbach: I sure hope this works, Mr. President.

TO BE CONTINUED
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 09:28:27 PM »

No, I have not. Thank you for viewing, stay tuned...much more to come. Comments welcome.

This is reminding me of the book "Timeline" though on a more political and futuristic scale, of course.

BTW, if you talk to my history teacher (which you most likely won't) I'm sure he'll find a reason to connect the Black Plague with the vast series of cause and affects that lead to America. Hell, when the mission's complete, we might not be the same country. Or a country at all.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 09:37:56 PM »

Don't give up the day job (presuming that you have one).
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »

Don't give up the day job (presuming that you have one).

Besides lunch, the dayshifts at Applebees are nothing to write home about.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 01:15:40 AM »

THE OVAL OFFICE, THE FOLLOWING DAY. PRESIDENT BROOKS SITS AT THE DESK OVER LOOKING PAPERS. AN AGENT OPENS THE DOOR AND IN WALKS SENATOR RYAN CREED OF PENNSYLVANIA, CHAIRMAN OF THE SENATE COMMERCE SUBCOMMITTEE ON SCIENCE AND SPACE. CREED STANDS 6'1 AND HAS A HEAD OF DARK HAIR.

Brooks: Senator Creed! How nice to see you today, sir.
Creed: Mr. President, always a pleasure.
Brooks: I saw the other day that you were eating fried donuts at a fair in Iowa.
Creed: (chuckles) Yes sir, I decided to make the trip to Iowa because I couldn't think of any place in Pennsylvania that serves fried donuts.
Brooks: You know, three years ago at the Iowa State Fair, I ate a fried twinkie...it was like a little slice of Heaven.
Creed: Indeed, sir.
Brooks: Anyway, how's NASA doing these days?
Creed: Not too bad, sir.
Brooks: Good enough to head to the moon again?
Creed: (laughs) Shouldn't Mars be on our radar?
Brooks: (chuckles) You're right, you're right. Hell...it was over 70 years ago that we went to the Moon. If we can't go back to the moon 70 years after Nixon and the Beatles, we have ourselves a problem.
Creed: With all due respect, sir I do not wish to talk about NASA. I know our time here is limited and I found some issues that I feel I should discuss with you.
Brooks: By all means...
Creed: Well, I know you never served as a Senator but I thought I should impress upon you that not only does our subcommittee follow advancements in Science and Space, but we also follow technology, innovation and other assets to help us move towards a better future. It has come to my attention that there have been Government funds unaccounted for that have been circumvented from our Green Technology Initiative to something that I can't quite put my finger on.
Brooks: Oh really?
Creed: Yes sir, I couldn't find a trace of anything. So I dug a little deeper. Turns out that Government funds were circumvented into something that I could only find as being DOD141.
Brooks: Hmmm...interesting findings, Senator Creed.
Creed: Yes it seems that this fund was created in the final month of the Iverson Administration.
Brooks: Well then why not ask Jack Iverson about it?
Creed: Well sir, there is no record of any transactions throughout the four years of the Reddick Administration, but then transactions began four months into your Presidency. Don't suppose you would be able to tell me why $700 Billion dollars was added to this fund a year and half ago would you?
Brooks: Well, Senator I should remind you that our Government has somethings that are crutical to America's future that I feel deserve our attention.
Creed: Yes indeed, Mr. President. Is there a name for this project?
Brooks: Yes, there is.
Creed: (light chuckle) Hmmm...I see. Well, I don't want to take up anymore of your time, sir.

THE TWO MEN STAND AND SHAKE HANDS

Creed: I look forward to talking with you again, Mr. President.
Brooks: Yes indeed. Oh by the way, Senator.

THE TWO MEN LOCK EYES.

Brooks: Remember...To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive.

TO BE CONTINUED...
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 06:53:04 PM »

Why don't they just read a history book to see what happened?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 12:33:21 AM »

Why don't they just read a history book to see what happened?

Just stay tuned Smiley
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 08:57:06 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2012, 01:15:54 AM by Reaganfan »

AN AGITATED DR. WEINBACH WALKS INTO HIS APARTMENT IN WASHINGTON, D.C. HE UNDOES HIS TIE IMMEDIATELY AND WALKS TO HIS KITCHEN. HE GRABS A BOTTLE OF VODKA, A GLASS AND SOME ICE CUBE. HE POURS A DRINK AND WALKS INTO HIS STILL DARK LIVING ROOM AND SITS DOWN IN HIS RECLINING CHAIR. IT'S LATE. HE'S GOT THINGS ON HIS MIND. HE SETS HIS CELL PHONE ON THE GLASS TABLE NEXT TO HIS CHAIR. IT IMMEDIATELY BEGINS VIBRATING. HE ANSWERS.

Weinbach: Hello?
Brooks: Newt, it's the President.
Weinbach: (audible sigh) Hello, Mr. President. What can I do for you?
Brooks: Oh nothing...just thought I'd give ya a ring and have a chat. What are you up to?
Weinbach: A bottle of Grey Goose.
Brooks: (laughs) Yeah...I got a nice shot of J.D. and a Heineken in front of me.
Weinbach: Any sign of Molly's return?
Brooks: We got staff 24/7 at your machine, Newt. When she comes I'll know in an instant and you'll be the first I'll call.
Weinbach: Do you think that Navy Seal knew he wasn't coming back?
Brooks: Yeah. He knew. I told him.
Weinbach: How'd he take it?
Brooks: He understood. He isn't married....has no children. Can't say that makes it any less painful for me.
Weinbach: I know, sir.
Brooks: Look, I shouldn't tell you this...but I feel it's prudent.
Weinbach: Tell me what, sir?
Brooks: Senator Creed stopped by the Oval Office.
Weinbach: Creed? Isn't he running for President?
Brooks: Well he's "exploring" a possible campaign. Well anyways...he did some snooping around and found the fund.
Weinbach: What fund, sir?
Brooks: The covert fund to make your time machine work.
Weinbach: A covert fund?
Brooks: Yeah. See, back in '37, President Iverson got wind through the C.I.A. of what you were doing. He was intrigued and authorized a secret fund to allow transactions of money to help get your project rolling. Of course, we didn't wanna shed the light on it to the public, and we didn't wanna let you in on it until we knew the damn thing would work. Anyways, he was out of office three weeks later. President Reddick didn't do anything with the project. Hell, I doubt he even knew about it. Reddick always had his head in the sand, and the Military and Government officials who knew about it were never contacted by his administration to do anything with it, so the project sat cold for four years. Well when I came in, I began my spending cuts and came upon DoD141. That's the name of the fund for your project. Well anyways, we began transactions to help push the project forward. Indeed, it ran up into the hundreds of billions of dollars before we got the machine to work to the fullest.
Weinbach: Sir, excuse me, but did you say hundreds of billions?
Brooks: Roughly $700 billion dollars.
Weinbach: Good lord...
Brooks: Anyways, Creed is out to sabotage me before the election in '44 and I can't stand for that. I can't go public...I mean...no way could we EVER go public about this.
Weinbach: Of course not, Mr. President.
Brooks: So my guess is that he'll cause a stink about the whereabouts of federal money, but the machine stays secret. For the good of mankind...it must stay secret. Do you understand this, Newt?
Weinbach: Of course I do, sir.
Brooks: You know how everyone nicknamed me "The Ruthless One"?
Weinbach: I've heard of it.
Brooks: I hate it. I'm not that ruthless.
Weinbach: I know that, Mr. President.
Brooks: Well...I won't take away from your evening. I'd like to meet up tomorrow morning at the lab.
Weinbach: That'll be fine, Mr. President.
Brooks: I'll be sure to have proper transportation for you. I will see you tomorrow.
Weinbach: Thank you, sir. See you tomorrow.

WEINBACH HANGS UP THE PHONE AND TAKES A DRINK.

THE NEXT MORNING AT THE LABORATORY, PRESIDENT BROOKS AND DR. WEINBACH SIT AT A CONFERENCE TABLE ALONG WITH OTHER SCIENTISTS INVOLVED, AGITATED.

Weinbach: This is ridiculous, sir. Molly should've been sent back.
Brooks: I know, Newt.
Weinbach: I mean...the Lieutenant had STRICT ORDERS. Return Molly immediately. It's been 48 hours. No signs, no return, NOTHING.
Brooks: Well, I... (Brooks looks down somberly)
Weinbach: You WHAT, Mr. President? WHAT!!?!

THE PRESIDENT SCOWLS UP AT WEINBACH.

Weinbach: Sir, I mean no disrespect. All I'm simply saying is that Molly doesn't deserve to be stuck in the past. She deserves to be here. My machine wasn't meant to destroy life, it was meant to enrich life.
Brooks: With all great opportunities, there always runs a risk of setbacks.
Weinbach: WELL MOLLY DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE A SETBACK!
Brooks: Damn you, don't you DARE raise your voice to me! Don't forget who you're talking to, Doctor Weinbach! I am the President of the United States.

WEINBACH RECLINES IN HIS SEAT.

Weinbach: You're right. I apologize, sir.
Brooks: I know everyone around here has been shook up because of this, least of all me. Remember, I'm not a cold-hearted prick. I care about Molly too...I want Molly back too.
Weinbach: Then what is our contingency, Mr. President?
Brooks: Come again?
Weinbach: The contingency...the back-up?
Brooks: You saw it.
Weinbach: The Seal? That's it? He fails, Molly is gone?
Brooks: There are no other options, Newt. That was it. We sent in a soldier to retireve Molly. Perhaps he was sent to a date where she wasn't sent and he too is lost in the past.
Weinbach: That's impossible, sir. My machine mechanism sent him back directly to the date Molly went to. The same timeline. Exact.
Brooks: Well if you have any ideas, spit them out now. Anybody?

THE ROOM REMAINS SILENT, WEINBACH LOOKS DEEP IN THOUGHT.

Weinbach: I'll go.
Brooks: Come again?
Weinbach: I'll go get Molly, sir.
Brooks: Weinbach, are you insane?
Weinbach: Insane enough to have created this monstrosity, sir.
Brooks: The risks involved-
Weinbach: We've seen the risks, sir. I've created the risks. I have to go back to the date Molly went in order to save her.
Brooks: You won't be able to return, Newt.
Weinbach: Well...look on the bright side...maybe I can create a new machine in 1349.
Brooks: It's a pipe dream, Doctor.
Weinbach: So was this whole machine, Mr. President.
Brooks: Newt, I plead...please don't do this.
Weinbach: I've made up my mind. I'm going back, sir.

To be continued...

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 09:58:41 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2012, 01:15:10 AM by Reaganfan »

WEINBACH AND THE PRESIDENT SIT IN THE OVAL OFFICE THE FOLLOWING DAY. A MAN WALKS IN. WHITE HAIR, BLACK SUIT, SERIOUS LOOK ON HIS FACE.

Brooks: Dr. Weinbach, this is Mr. X.
Weinbach: Mr. X, huh?
Brooks: That's right, Mr. X. Now X is here to help assure that your attempt does not go without merit. As we know, you've never served in the U.S. Military, and you've never been trained in any battle techniques or weaponry.
Weinbach: Yes, sir that's correct.
Brooks: You will return, but you will return armed. This is a Beretta 93R, sub-machine handgun. 32 rounds in just a couple seconds.
Weinbach: Sir, I don't know how to use a gun.
Brooks: Well let's hope you don't have to. But...IF YOU DO...you point and shoot. Pretty simple.

MR. X PULLS OUT A BOX WITH ANOTHER GUN IN IT.

Brooks: Ahhh...here we are. A Smith and Wesson .357 revolver. Snub-nose style. It'll be attached to your ankle. Six shots. Simple.
Weinbach: Mr. President, Mr. X....um...why the precautions? I'm going to 1349.
Brooks: So what? You will have weapons that help ensure yours and Molly's safety. We'll pack you full of water, MREs, ammo, weapons...all the tools you need.
Weinbach: If you insist, sir.
Brooks: Now, we have to get you down to the laboratory right away. Let's get this show on the road.

SCENE SHIFTS TO WEINBACH AND BROOKS IN THE LABORATORY. WEINBACH, IN BULLETPROOF VEST, BACKPACK ON WITH SUPPLIES AND WEAPONS, STEPS INTO THE MACHINE.

Brooks: Newt...are you SURE you want to do this?
Weinbach: Mr. President, I must do it. I am sure.
Brooks: Look...I...is there anybody you'd like me to contact for you?
Weinbach: Nah...never had much of a family.
Brooks: (nods somberly) God speed, Newt.
Weinbach: Thank you, Mr. President.
Brooks: (shakes his head) Nah...nah...the name's Austin.
Weinbach: (smiles) Thanks, Austin.
Brooks: You bet, Newt.

WEINBACH STEPS INTO THE MACHINE. PRESIDENT BROOKS PUTS ON THE EYE GOGGLES AND SALUTES DR. WEINBACH. WEINBACH RETURNS A SALUTE BACK TO THE PRESIDENT. THE MACHINE SPHERES BEGIN SPINNING....THEN A TREMENDOUS BURST OF LIGHT ENERGY. WEINBACH IS GONE.

WEINBACH SLAMS INTO THE PAVEMENT. HE IS BEWILDERED, BUT SURPRISINGLY ALERT. HIS BACKPACK HELPS TO BREAK HIS FALL. HE LOOKS AROUND. A GRAY OVERCAST DAY. APPEARS TO BE MID-AFTERNOON. HE HEARS YELLING IN THE BACKGROUND. HE STANDS UP AND BEGINS LOOKING AROUND. HE CAN'T SEE ANYBODY. HE FEELS ALONE. HE IS ALONE. HE BEGINS SCREAMING OUT.

Weinbach: MOLLY! MOLLY CALLOW! DR. MOLLY CALLOW!

A MAN IN A UNIFORM APPROACHES.

Weinbach: SIR! SIR...I'm looking for a friend, I have this photograph-

THE MAN IN THE UNIFORM PUNCHES WEINBACH TO THE GROUND.

Uniform Man: AUF! AUF! Jetzt hund!
Weinbach: I'm...I'm looking for my friend, Mr. Molly Callow!
Uniform Man: Halt die Schnauze! Halt die Schnauze!

THE UNIFORMED MAN KICKS WEINBACH AGAIN.

Weinbach: I'm Dr. Weinbach...I'm a friend of Dr. Callow. Weinbach.
Uniform Man: Ein Jude? Ein verfluchter Jude!?

THE MAN GRABS DR. WEINBACH BY HIS HAIR AND DRAGS HIM IN THE STREET TOWARDS A GROUP OF TWO OTHER UNIFORMED MEN, STANDING, SMOKING CIGARETTES HOLDING WEAPONS.

Uniform Man: Schauen Sie, was ich Männer… ein verfluchter Jude fand!

THE MEN LAUGH. ONE MAN SCREAMS AT WEINBACH.

Uniform Man #2: Auf Ihren Füßen! Auf Ihren Füßen!!
Weinbach: (yelling back) I--I don't understand!

THE MAN PULLS WEINBACH UP ON HIS FEET BY HIS HAIR AND YANKS OFF HIS BACKPACK. TWO MEN OPEN IT AND BEGIN RUMMAGING THROUGH IT. THE ORIGINAL MAN STANDS, LOOKING ANGRY AND DISGUSTED AT WEINBACH.

Uniform Man #3: Waffen!
Uniform Man: Waffen?
Uniform Man #2: Der verfluchte Jude hat Waffen!

THE MEN BEGIN BEATING WEINBACH. HE YELLS OUT FOR THEM TO STOP BUT TO NO AVAIL.

Uniform Man: ALBRECHT! KLAUS! Nehmen Sie den Jude zur Gasse und töten ihn!

THE MEN GRAB WEINBACH BY HIS ARMS AND DRAG HIM DOWN THE SECLUDED STREET. THEY DRAG HIM TO THE BACKWAY OF AN ALLEY. HE GETS ON HIS KNEES FACING THE UNIFORMED MEN. ONE MAN WALKS TO THE EDGE OF THE ALLEYWAY, THE OTHER POINTS HIS RIFLE AT WEINBACH. WEINBACH REALIZES HE IS ABOUT TO DIE. HE CRIES OUT FOR MERCY. THE UNIFORMED MAN BEGINS LAUGHING HYSTERICALLY.

Uniformed Man #2: (laughing) ALBRECHT! Der Jude wünscht seine Mamma!
Uniformed Man #3: (laughs) Töten Sie einfach den verfluchten Juden, Klaus. Wir haben nicht den ganzen Tag!

WEINBACH REACHES UNDERNEATH HIS PANTS AND FEELS HIS .357 REVOLVER. HE LOOKS AT THE UNIFORMED MAN. THE MAN'S LAUGHING. HEAD LEANED BACK LAUGHING. RIFLE IN HIS HANDS. WEINBACH TURNS HIS HEAD AND SEES THE OTHER UNIFORMED MAN AT THE END OF THE ALLEY LIGHTING A CIGARETTE. WEINBACH'S EYES FILL WITH RAGE AS HE TURNS BACK TOWARDS THE LAUGHING MAN WITH THE RIFLE. HE SWIPES OUT THE REVOLVER FROM HIS ANKLE AND YANKS BACK ON THE TRIGGER. A BULLET GOES RIGHT INTO THE CHEST OF THE UNIFORMED MAN. WEINBACH GRABS THE RIFLE, AND TURNS TOWARDS THE SECOND MAN, WHO DROPS HIS CIGARETTE IN DISBELIEF AND REACTS BY SLINGING HIS RIFLE TOWARDS WEINBACH. WEINBACH SHOOTS THE RIFLE ONCE, THE BULLET GOING STRAIGHT THROUGH THE HEAD OF THE SECOND UNIFORMED MAN. WEINBACH PAUSES...HIS EYES FILLED WITH TEARS OF RAGE...HE HAS NEVER KILLED BEFORE. HE HEARS MUMBLING. HE LOOKS DOWN TO SEE THE BLEEDING MAN IN THE UNIFORM.

Uniformed Man #2: (whispering then getting louder) Sie haven' t gewonnen, Jude. Alle Juden brennen in der Hölle. Hören Sie mich? HÖLLE! JUDE! VERFLUCHTER JUDE! VERFLUCHTER JUDE!!!

WEINBACH SHOOTS WITH THE REVOLVER STRAIGHT THROUGH THE MAN'S HEAD. HE SLINGS THE RIFLE AROUND HIS SHOULDER AND HOLDS HIS STILL SMOKING REVOLVER IN HIS HAND. HE WALKS OUT OF THE ALLEY AND SEES THE FIRST UNIFORMED MAN STANDING THERE, STILL GOING THROUGH WEINBACH'S BACKPACK. WEINBACH CAREFULLY AND QUIETLY WALKS ALONG THE CORRIDOR OF BRICK BUILDINGS. HE APPROACHES THE MAN FROM BEHIND. HE PUTS THE GUN TO THE MAN'S HEAD AND COCKS THE HAMMER BACK.

Weinbach: Turn around. TURN AROUND!

THE MAN TURNS AROUND.

Uniformed Man: Verfluchter Jude.

WEINBACH, POINTING REVOLVER IN THE MAN'S FACE SCREAMS AT HIM.

Weinbach: ENGLISH! SPEAK ENGLISH MOTHERER!!

WEINBACH PISTOL WHIPS THE MAN, WHO FALLS TO HIS KNEES.

Weinbach: ENGLISH! ENGLISH!
Uniformed Man: Uh...uh...don't shoot! Don't shoot!
Weinbach: WHAT YEAR IS IT?! TELL ME!
Uniformed Man: Warum? Warum?

WEINBACH PISTOL WHIPS THE MAN AGAIN!

Weinbach: TELL ME! TELL ME WHAT YEAR IT IS!
Uniformed Man: Uh...uh...1943. May 6, 1943!

WEINBACH IS STUNNED.  THE UNIFORMED MAN SLINGS HIS RIFLE AROUND.

Uniformed Man: STERBEN JUDE! STERBEN JUDE!

WEINBACH, SLOW TO REACT, YANKS THE TRIGGER THREE TIMES. THE MAN FALLS TO THE GROUND, DEAD. ONE RIFLE SHOT GOES OFF IN THE AIR AS HE FALLS DOWN. WEINBACH COLLAPSES TO THE GROUND, GUN STILL SMOKING HIS HIS SHAKING HANDS. HE IS SUDDENLY COMING TO THE REALIZATION THAT MOLLY NEVER MADE IT TO 1349. SHE TRAVELED BACK TO 1943...AND WEINBACH HAS NO IDEA WHERE AND HOW TO FIND HER.

TO BE CONTINUED...
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 09:37:28 AM »

Have you contacted Michael Bay to direct yet?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 02:32:12 AM »

WEINBACH WALKS DOWN THE SEEMINGLY ABANDONED STREET. HE SEES NAZI FLAGS AND PROPAGANDA EVERYWHERE. IF IT IS MAY 6, 1943, THAT MEANS WORLD WAR II IS FAR FROM OVER. WEINBACH KNOWS THE SOLDIERS WERE YELLING IN GERMAN, BUT HE ALSO KNOWS GIVEN THE VAST AMOUNT OF LAND THE THIRD REICH CONQUERED, HE COULD BE ALMOST ANYWHERE IN EUROPE.

THEN, JUST AS WEINBACH PREPARES TO LOSE HOPE, HE SEES A SIGN THAT READS: "Getto Warszawskie". NEWTON WEINBACH NOW REALIZES THE GRAVITY OF THE SITUATION THAT CONFRONTS HIM. HE IS IN WARSAW, POLAND IN MAY 1943 DURING THE HEIGHT OF WORLD WAR II. HE WONDERS TO HIMSELF...WHAT BECAME OF THE NAVY SEAL SENT BACK? WHY DID THE MACHINE TAKE THEM BACK TO 1943? MOST IMPORTANTLY...WHERE IS DR. MOLLY CALLOW?

BACK IN THE PRESENT (2042)

PRESIDENT AUSTIN C. BROOKS SITS AT THE NOW INFAMOUS CONFERENCE TABLE ALONG WITH SEVERAL OTHER SCIENTISTS INCLUDING DR. LEONARD ALTERMOSS.

Brooks: Leo, it's been FIVE hours and I already feel sick.
Altermoss: Mr. President, give the young man time.
Brooks: I'm starting to hate that word.
Altermoss: What word, sir?
Brooks: Time. I mean...what is time? Before humans time existed. But when did time start? Is it possible for time to just start? Perhaps time always was and we're just screwing with it. Perhaps it was the hand of God and we're trying to sway it.

THE ROOM BECOMES SILENT.

Brooks: Look, I've done the backroom deals and the slaps on the back like every other politician. But I've always been fair and honest. I wouldn't have it any other way. I achieved this office two years ago in a fair and honest election, I took a solemn oath and by God I'm going to keep it. But I also...
Altermoss: Sir?
Brooks: Look...is it possible the machine was destroyed? Or perhaps sabotaged?
Altermoss: Highly unlikely sir.
Brooks: Wouldn't you say this entire situation is highly unlikely?
Altermoss: Yes, sir. You're right.
Brooks: I mean, what if Molly ended up in the Dark Ages? What if Weinbach is laying on a wooden slab right next to William Wallace right now? Where could they have ended up?
Altermoss: Perhaps they arrived in more modern times?
Brooks: Yeah, they're sitting at Woodstock in the Summer of '69, right?
Altermoss: Sir, to be quite honest with you...they could be anywhere and anytime. They were sent back to 1349 but they may not have arrived there.
Brooks: I'm just trying to imagine where they could be. What if the machine broke? What if it was taken over by an enemy?
Altermoss: Weinbach's machine is full proof. Even our greatest enemies couldn't tamper with it. Only Lieutenant Norris, Dr. Callow and Dr. Weinbach know where the machine is and how to work it. It would take a nuclear blast to even try to disable it.

SCIENTISTS BURST INTO THE ROOM.

Scientist #1: SIR! We've discovered the glitch!
Brooks: The glitch in the machine?
Scientist #2: Yes, Mr. President. It's the numbers! They've scrambled. A faulty INS intercept wiring line scrambled the year 1349 into something else involving those four numbers.
Brooks: How do you mean?
Scientist #1: Well, sir, 1349 can also be scrambled to be 9143 or 1493, and so on and so forth.
Brooks: So you're telling us that Weinbach and Callow could be in the year 9341?
Scientist #2: Negative, sir. The machine cannot go to the future beyond our current present. Therefore the number has to be less than the year 2042. That leaves the years 1349, which we know they didn't arrive at so then we narrow it down to 1493, 1394, 1934, and 1943. We can also estimate that they would be within several hundred miles of where their destination was. Which means if they went to Texas, they'd probably still be in Texas or a state nearby.
Altermoss: Can we determine a date any further?
Scientist #2: The INS intercept indicates an 84% probability that they arrived in either the year 1934 or 1943.
Brooks: You know what this means, Dr. Altermoss?
Altermoss: What, sir?
Brooks: Weinbach and Molly are somewhere in 1934 or 1943 Europe.
Altermoss: Oh dear lord.
Brooks: Need I remind you what was occurring in Europe in the 1930s and 1940s?

BACK IN 1943, WEINBACH WALKS, ARMED WITH A GERMAN RIFLE, THROUGH THE WARSAW GHETTO. HE HEARS A MAN COUGH. HE ENTERS AN ABANDONED BUILDING, HEAVILY DAMAGED. AS HE STEPS ON BROKEN GLASS, HE HEARS A GUN COCK BEHIND HIM. HE TURNS AROUND TO SEE A MAN NERVOUSLY HOLDING AN OLD PISTOL. THE MAN STARES AT WEINBACH. WEINBACH, NOTICING THE MAN IS NOT A GERMAN SOLDIER, POINTS TO AN AMERICAN FLAG PATCH UNDERNEATH HIS JACKET.

Mordechai: American?
Weinbach: Yes, American. Polish?
Mordechai: Yes.
Weinbach: Do you speak English?
Mordechai: Some. My name is  Mordechai Anielewicz. What is your name?
Weinbach: Um, Newton...Smith.
Mordechai: American. Were you parachuted in from Britain? There aren't any Americans in Poland, atleast not what we have heard.
Weinbach: Don't worry. We're going to help you. We're on the way.
Mordechai: Well, I do not know how much more I can take. I do not know how much more we can take.
Weinbach: What is it you mean?
Mordechai: I am with the ZOB.
Weinbach: ZOB?
Mordechai: The Polish Underground.
Weinbach: Against the Nazis. In World War II.
Mordechai: Are all Americans so curious?
Weinbach: Sorry.
Mordechai: Well, do not be sorry. I will take my own life before I fall victim to the Reich. Come, follow me.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 04:27:15 PM »

MORDECHAI LEADS WEINBACH UNDERGROUND, WHERE DOZENS AND DOZENS OF POLISH RESISTANCE REMAIN. ONE WOMAN IS SITTING IN A CORNER. SHE LOOKS FAMILAR. SHE LOOKS UP AND HER EYES WIDEN. IT'S MOLLY. WEINBACH RUNS UP TO HER AND GRABS HER.

Weinbach: MOLLY! Oh Thank God I found you!
Callow: NEWTON! What are you doing here? I don't understand!?
Weinbach: We didn't hear from you. We knew something had gone terribly wrong. President Brooks sent a Navy Seal back to look for you but we didn't hear from him either. I wasn't going to abandon you.
Callow: The Navy Seal...
Weinbach: Is he here?
Callow: They executed him.
Weinbach: Who did?
Callow: The S.S. They found him, disarmed him and shot him in the back of the head, along with dozens of others.
Weinbach: Molly, come with me.

WEINBACH TAKES MOLLY BY THE HAND AND LEADS HER UPSTAIRS AND BACK ABOVE GROUND TO THE ABANDONED BUILDING. MOLLY PULLS AWAY.

Callow: What are you doing!?
Weinbach: I'm sending you back, Molly.
Callow: I can't go back. Not now.
Weinbach: Molly, do you realize where and when you are? We're in occupied Poland in 1943. The war won't end for another two years. You're with the Polish Underground. Ever hear of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising?
Callow: Yes.
Weinbach: Well...THIS IS IT!
Callow: You think I don't know that?
Weinbach: Yeah, well you should also know that all of these people have been marked for death. That includes you unless you get out of here.
Callow: I can't leave these people. They need my help. I'm a doctor, have you forgotten that?
Weinbach: I'm a doctor too, Molly. But you can't help people for whom history already has determined their fate. We can't stop the Black Plague or the Civil War or the Third Reich. It's sealed in history. It's already going to happen. We know it, and I think deep down they know it too.
Callow: It won't happen! I'm going back.

WEINBACH GRABS MOLLY. SHE PULLS AWAY. THEY KISS AND MAKE PASSIONATE LOVE ON THE FLOOR OF THE ABANDONED BUILDING.

POST-COITAL, MOLLY AND WEINBACH LAY IN A BED TOGETHER IN THE POLISH UNDERGROUND. WEINBACH SMOKES A CIGARETTE.

Weinbach: I never smoked a cigarette before.
Callow: History should have taught you that it isn't good to smoke.

MOLLY TAKES THE CIGARETTE FROM WEINBACH AND EXTINGUSES IT.

Callow: Why did you come back?
Weinbach: To make sure the job was done right.
Callow: Bulls*it.
Weinbach: Okay, you want me to be completely and utterly honest?
Callow: Yes.
Weinbach: I love you.
Callow: You love me? (chuckles)
Weinbach: The moment I saw you, I felt this....I can't even describe it. I'm crazy about you. You're the only person I've ever loved.
Callow: Only one of us could go back, Newton.
Weinbach: I know this. It's going to be you, Molly.
Callow: I told you, I'm not going back.
Weinbach: How's that gonna look? What do I tell the President? Oh yeah, sorry sir, Lieutanent Norris was executed, the machine failed and sent Molly back to Nazi Germany. Oh don't worry, I found her and slept with her, but she decided to stay so give me a Congressional Medal of Freedom?
Callow: Well what do you expect?
Weinbach: I expect you to go back.
Callow: I won't.

JUST THEN, AN EXPLOSION ROCKS THE UNDERGROUND BUNKER. IT'S THE S.S.

Callow: They've found us.
Weinbach: Come on, let's go.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 08:33:24 PM »

WEINBACH GRABS A GUN AND PREPARES TO MOVE UPSTAIRS INTO THE ABANDONED BUILDING. HE SPOTS AN S.S. MAN OUTSIDE THE FIRST BROKEN WINDOW. HE AIMS HIS RIFLE AND FIRES A SHOT INSTANTLY KILLING THE GERMAN NAZI SOLDIER.

BULLETS RIP THROUGH THE WINDOWS AND DOORS. MOLLY AND WEINBACH HIT THE GROUND AS OTHER POLISH RESISTANCE FIGHTERS RETURN FIRE AGAINST THE S.S.

Callow: Go back, Newton!
Weinbach: Molly, you're going back. PLEASE. (pause amid gunfire) I love you.

THEY SHARE A KISS AS THEY HEAR SOLDIERS YELLING OUTSIDE THE ABANDONED BUILDING.

Callow: Come with me, Newton.

THE TWO RUN THROUGH A BURROW HOLE UNDERNEATH A CONCRETE WALL OF THE BUILDING. THEY FEVERISHLY RUN THROUGH A WOODED REGION UNTIL THEY REACH A CANAL NEAR THE VISTULA RIVER. THEY FALL TO THE GROUND. WEINBACH PULLS THE METALLIC SPHERE OUT OF HIS BAG. HE BEGINS PUSHING BUTTONS, INSERTS A KEY AND THE MACHINE OPENS INTO A LARGE BUT VERY NARROW PORTAL.

Weinbach: Molly, go.
Callow: I can't.
Weinbach: Molly...I beg you...go. PLEASE.
Callow: They'll kill you, Newton.
Weinbach: I'll be fine. Molly...look into my eyes.

THEY SHARE A LOOK AT EACH OTHER.

Weinbach: I'll be fine. I promise.
Callow: I love you so much, Newton.
Weinbach: I love you too.

JUST THEN, A SHOT FLIES FROM ACROSS THE DISTANCE, STRIKING WEINBACH IN THE ARM. ONE LONE S.S. SOLDIER IS QUICKLY RUNNING TOWARDS THEM. WEINBACH GRABS A 9MM BERETTA AND SHOOTS SEVERAL BULLETS DIRECTLY AT THE MAN, KILLING HIM.

Weinbach: GET IN, MOLLY! GO GO! GET IN!

WEINBACH SLAMS SHUT THE METAL DOOR TO THE MACHINE, AND BEGINS PRESSING BUTTONS. HE TURNS A KEY AND SETS THE MACHINE TO "FURTHEST POSSIBLE DATE ENTRY" AND THE LOCATION TO "HOME BASE". HE TURNS THE KEY. THE MACHINE BEGINS SPINNING. IT'S GETTING BRIGHTER AND BRIGHTER AND BRIGHTER. THEN...IN AN INSTANT...THE MACHINE IS GONE. MOLLY CALLOW IS GONE. IT'S SILENT. NO SOUNDS EXCEPT A WIND ACROSS THE OUTSKIRTS OF WARSAW. THE SOUND OF THE CANAL AND THE VISTULA RIVER.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies