Rand Paul opposes pipeline safety
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 05:18:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rand Paul opposes pipeline safety
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rand Paul opposes pipeline safety  (Read 1723 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:27:43 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://news.yahoo.com/senator-blocks-pipeline-safety-bill-principle-070809432.html

OMG NOT DA FEDURAL GOVMENT!11!!!!1
Jacobtm

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 04:20:17 PM »

Wild fckin west
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 05:19:22 PM »

If you are killed by a pipeline exploding you should feel honored that you have been blessed by the the invisible hand of the market.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:27:22 PM »

The fact that a Senator can single-handedly block anything is the real issue here.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 06:23:14 PM »

While I don't know the particulars of the bill, the fact that the pipeline companies are in favor of it doesn't necessarily mean that it is a good bill, or even one that doesn't not impose a burden.  Established businesses have been known to support government regulation as a means to make the entry of a competitor into the market less likely.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »

The fact that a Senator can single-handedly block anything is the real issue here.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Senate is so screwed up.
Kung Fu Kenny
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 06:45:35 PM »

Oh God Rand...
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 06:48:06 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Senate is so screwed up.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 07:34:45 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2011, 08:50:44 PM by wormyguy »

The fact that this doesn't raise red flags with you people speaks to the intellectual bankruptcy of your ideology.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 07:42:38 PM »

This is basically the standard position of the Canadian government, so...
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 07:50:24 PM »

Rand Paul is just another Establishment Hack anyway.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 08:15:02 PM »

While I don't know the particulars of the bill, the fact that the pipeline companies are in favor of it doesn't necessarily mean that it is a good bill, or even one that doesn't not impose a burden.  Established businesses have been known to support government regulation as a means to make the entry of a competitor into the market less likely.

This is a very valid point....though the devil is in the details I suppose.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 08:54:42 PM »

The fact that this doesn't raise red flags with you people speaks to the intellectual bankruptcy of your ideology.

Business is the good guy, no?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 09:14:40 PM »

You're assuming the libertarian philosophy is to favor one side over the other. As far as I understood it, it is to be just plainly not involved. Not to favor business in regulations, not to favor unions in regulations, not to favor consumers in regulations, just to let things pan out as they will without regulations. You seem to assume it's part of economic libertarianism to christen a "good guy".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 09:25:33 PM »

It seems that only Republican Senators have that power.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 09:41:01 PM »

Nope, almost never.  Certainly not the ones who want competition-busting regulations.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 09:48:07 PM »

Yes, if business supports something it's automatically bad. That's totally mature and sensible.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »

Yes, if business supports something it's automatically bad. That's totally mature and sensible.

As opposed to if business supports something it's automatically good?  I suspect one thing this bill will do is preempt any relevant State legislation.  Since the pipes in the pipelines themselves aren't going to cross interstate borders once they've been installed, I fail to see where pipeline safety needs to be a federal issue in the first place.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 10:38:05 PM »

As opposed to if business supports something it's automatically good?  I suspect one thing this bill will do is preempt any relevant State legislation.  Since the pipes in the pipelines themselves aren't going to cross interstate borders once they've been installed, I fail to see where pipeline safety needs to be a federal issue in the first place.

A general problem is that at a state level some industries have an even greater, disproportionate influence than on the federal level. West Virginia and their tragic history with the coal industry being an example.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 07:30:56 AM »

A general problem is that at a state level some industries have an even greater, disproportionate influence than on the federal level. West Virginia and their tragic history with the coal industry being an example.

And California and Hollywood? Wink
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 01:28:18 PM »

I don't care whether big business and corporations support such initiatives; I only care about measures to ensure that things are being done safe and properly.

The philosophy of Rand Paul and other libertarians seems to be that we should let private industry determine what is safe and proper, when really it usually results in cutting corners to save costs. Ideally this should work but it has not as we have seen time and time again.

My problem here is with Paul and individuals voting for this based on the fact that   its action from the federal government and ignoring what apparently is for the common good.

I await responses that I probably won't reply to any time soon. 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »

I don't care whether big business and corporations support such initiatives; I only care about measures to ensure that things are being done safe and properly.

The philosophy of Rand Paul and other libertarians seems to be that we should let private industry determine what is safe and proper, when really it usually results in cutting corners to save costs. Ideally this should work but it has not as we have seen time and time again.

My problem here is with Paul and individuals voting for this based on the fact that   its action from the federal government and ignoring what apparently is for the common good.

I await responses that I probably won't reply to any time soon. 

Seems like your philosophy is the one which wants private industry to determine what is safe and proper. Why else would you mention "even the industry supports it" in your OP? Regulations should be implemented after a thoroughly cost-benefit analysis and by states or local governments if that is proper. It isn't anything that should be libertarian vs. Non-libertarian. Ernest makes good points as always. I'm not going to judge this particular piece until I know the specifics but a lot of regulations are designed to help corporate America stifle innovation and competition.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 05:16:19 PM »

Why else would you mention "even the industry supports it" in your OP?

Because it was included in the original two paragraphs of the article which is what I copied and pasted as a preview? I don't selectively edit articles when I post them.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 05:19:49 PM »

Because it was included in the original two paragraphs of the article which is what I copied and pasted as a preview? I don't selectively edit articles when I post them.

Fair enough it seemed like that was the emphasis of the argument though.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 05:27:52 PM »

Fair enough it seemed like that was the emphasis of the argument though.

My problem with the whole thing is that Paul's argument with this, like most other issues, is that he opposes this based on the grounds that it involves government action no matter the issue.

The argument that yourself and Ernest raised is certainly a valid one and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with it should the facts line up.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies