MA 06 Tisei
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:46:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA 06 Tisei
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA 06 Tisei  (Read 4678 times)
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:46:05 AM »
« edited: September 27, 2011, 11:51:27 AM by A Roemerista »

Tierney's seat. I do not believe it is going to get eliminated or drastically changed during redistricting, for reasons disused nauseam. Not to mention he is quite weak after the scandals, if the GOP had someone stronger than Hudak, they could win it...

And here is the new gossip for you, I do believe Lt. Gov candidate Richard Tisei is seriously considering a run. While he has been officially silent on the matter-- "concentrating on my business" talk, according to his bank report filings, he has been paying heavy weight consult Arthur J. Finkelstein, a sizable fee during each period since the campaign. Including one paid on 8/31/11.
A consultant who was not involved in the Gov race.

Yeah, most people will be disinterested I figure, but I think he has the best shot at a House pick up in MA.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 12:40:23 PM »

I think if he ran and won he'd be the first openly gay Republican elected to Congress.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 12:56:33 PM »

I think if he ran and won he'd be the first openly gay Republican elected to Congress.

Oh, that would be a treat.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »

Tisei would be a great candidate for the seat, about the only credible one the GOP can find.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 01:35:38 PM »

Hopefully he does. Tierney really needs to go, and Hudak managing to break 40 against him shows how weak he is. Does anyone know if Bielat will have a better shot this time around of beating Frank?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:32:38 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2011, 11:12:59 PM by With One's Heart In One's Mouth »

Surely this seat will be made safer. I mean if MA-05 is being eliminated as rumored then it'll have to take on Lawrence.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 11:09:10 PM »

Tierney's seat. I do not believe it is going to get eliminated or drastically changed during redistricting, for reasons disused nauseam. Not to mention he is quite weak after the scandals,

What scandals? If Tierney had any scandals, it would be a national story by now.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 12:00:17 AM »

I think he would be the first one that was elected for the first time -- Gunderson and Kolbe were re-elected after coming out.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 01:59:05 AM »

Hudak is a nut, pure and simple. And foolish nut to boot. His 43% in 2010 were result of extremely good Republican year (even in Massachusetts, where Republicans couldn't break 40% in any of state congressional districts for years) and few other factors. He has zero chances in General Election in 2012. Tisei (or Cousins may be) on the other hand is very credible candidate in present district. I think his decision will depends on 2 factors - redistricting and possible scandal with Tierney (there was one concerning his wife not long ago). Despite Republican primary being more conservative then general Tisei will, probably, be favored - this part of the state (unlike, for example, more conservative people in Worcester suburbs) is well-known for considerable presence of moderate and even (gasp!!) relatively liberal Republicans
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 06:08:45 PM »

Hudak has already been campaigning against Tisei...At a fundraiser in NH of all places he was presenting his social warrior cred.

I suspect Tisei is waiting to see if he is redistricted out of the 6th.

He's seriously campaigning on social issues in Massachusetts? It's a miracle he even managed to break 40 against Tierney last year if he's that conservative.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 09:43:45 PM »

Hudak has already been campaigning against Tisei...At a fundraiser in NH of all places he was presenting his social warrior cred.

I suspect Tisei is waiting to see if he is redistricted out of the 6th.

He's seriously campaigning on social issues in Massachusetts? It's a miracle he even managed to break 40 against Tierney last year if he's that conservative.

Because it's Massachusetts, the winner of a GOP primary is generally "whoever cares enough to get signatures." As such, we often get some of the nuttiest candidates in all of New England.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 09:45:49 PM »

TBF MA-06 is probably the second most socially-conservative district in MA after MA-09.

Actually, it's a miracle that Tierney won in the first place.  One of those "only in Massachusetts!" things, considering http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2011/01/patrice_tierney.html
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 11:38:02 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2011, 11:39:58 PM by Lunar »

TBF MA-06 is probably the second most socially-conservative district in MA after MA-09.

From the GOP perspective: who cares? Every GOP primary is extremely socially conservative, but this is one of those districts where it couldn't hurt to to take a chance and try and shake up the traditional D vs R narrative

At D+7, someone with State GOP and Log Cabin fundraising connections could do solid in the primary if properly positioned, as the race won't be THAT contested, while any social conservative types are going to turn out to vote in the general election regardless.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 11:42:55 PM »

Has anyone considered that there's no reason to not make this seat more Democratic? In addition to Lawrence there's also plenty of solid territory in MA-07. If the legislature and Patrick sense any vulnerability to Tierney, that'll be fixed.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 02:22:59 AM »

I disagree. District that elected Michael Harrington (and before him - moderate pro-choice Republicans), which elects people like Tisei to legislature (and a lot of socially liberal Democrats too) is far from being social conservative. MA-02 and MA-03 (not speking about MA-09) are far better candidates for this title. Even Torkildsen wasn't socially conservative...
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 09:26:17 AM »

Actually, it's a miracle that Tierney won in the first place.  One of those "only in Massachusetts!" things, considering http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2011/01/patrice_tierney.html

That was a 2010 scandal, Tierney was elected in 1996.  Also, my understanding is that there has been no evidence that Tierney was involved in that scandal (although his wife pleading guilty and his brother-in-laws being indicted will obviously lead some voters to assume that he was). 
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 10:16:27 AM »

Well Tisei has now stated that he will run if the district is as planned. The redistricting made it more GOP friendly by adding Billerica and Tewksbury.

Just saying a socially liberal GOP fellow, who held one of the largest state senate districts for 20 years, may be quite a challenge for Tierney.

Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 10:18:21 AM »

That's huge news. Tisei is quite popular in those parts.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 11:28:45 AM »

Curiously they made this seat more Republican by a point.

3rd District (Tsongas)
Brown 57-42%
Baker 48-44%

6th District (Tierney)
Brown 58-41%
Baker 50-41%
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 04:35:57 PM »

Curiously they made this seat more Republican by a point.

3rd District (Tsongas)
Brown 57-42%
Baker 48-44%

6th District (Tierney)
Brown 58-41%
Baker 50-41%

They wanted to give him Lawrence, but it has been with Lowell since 1962 and Murray didn't want to weaken Tsongas.

Note that for the gubernatorial numbers, Baker was not only from the district, but so was his running mate, who happens to be Tisei.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 06:03:23 PM »

Well it would be nice is Tisei ran and won. Republicans could benefit from having an "openly" gay member of their House caucus.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 11:34:57 PM »

Looks like he's in.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/11/17/sixth_district_race_enlivened_by_tiseis_entry_addition_of_billerica_tewksbury_andover/
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 03:58:30 AM »

Obviously - the best possible candidate Massachusetts Republicans have in this district. But even that may be not enough. Especially - in Presidential year. I have little doubts that he could win in 2010, but that time Republican candidate was an idiot Hudak. In 2012 it will be more difficult..
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 04:03:05 AM »

Obviously - the best possible candidate Massachusetts Republicans have in this district. But even that may be not enough. Especially - in Presidential year. I have little doubts that he could win in 2010, but that time Republican candidate was an idiot Hudak. In 2012 it will be more difficult..

Well if Romney is the nominee he will at least have an excellent chance of getting over 40% of the vote, so that might be enough to prevent any Obama coattails. He seems liberal enough to win the district in a presidential year.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 04:29:38 AM »

Well if Romney is the nominee he will at least have an excellent chance of getting over 40% of the vote, so that might be enough to prevent any Obama coattails. He seems liberal enough to win the district in a presidential year.

In fact that's the only scenario under which he (Tisei) can win. Almost any other Republican presidential candidate will lose badly in Massachusetts, so coattails will be strong in these cases. I would likeTisei to win both because i am not impressed by Tierney with his problems, and even more - because i am a heavy fan of "mavericks", and now that usually means (reltively) liberal Republicans and (relatively) conservative Democrats)))
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies