John B Anderson/Ted Kennedy(D) vs Ed Clark/Eugene McCarthy(R)-1980
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:08:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  John B Anderson/Ted Kennedy(D) vs Ed Clark/Eugene McCarthy(R)-1980
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John B Anderson/Ted Kennedy(D) vs Ed Clark/Eugene McCarthy(R)-1980  (Read 4727 times)
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2011, 04:28:59 PM »

So what if John B Anderson switches to the Democratic party and wins the nomination at the DNC in New York and Ed Clark did the same vice versa to the RNC? Eugene is part of the switch because of his support for Clark and the fact he clams he'll never be part of the "disgraceful Democratic party" ever again. This would be surprising to see how John  Anderson starts to sound like Ted Kennedy and will drop the fiscal conservative positions in favor of expanding all programs/entitlements but Welfare which he supports a reform of. How the South would vote in this election would be a eye opener giving that all the candidates are un-fit for the region. Maybe a Jesse Helms run as an independent will keep the South in check and the other regions will be close battle between Clark and Anderson.

I will be doing map of this election after I post this thread.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 04:33:41 PM »

Didn't Anderson run as an economic conservative?
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 04:39:25 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2012, 10:08:18 PM by DFL »

Didn't Anderson run as an economic conservative?

Yes but in this secernohe running as a fiscal moderate. He plan to get health care across for all Americans is one goal on his campaign in my fantasy dream election.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 04:46:54 PM »

Anderson/Kennedy-235

Clark/McCarthy-191

Helms/Larry McDonald-112
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 09:57:56 PM »

This election would be awesome. I'd like a full out tl done on it with a couple PODs, such as maybe Clark being elected California Governor in 2978 as a Republican or something like that.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 02:04:41 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2011, 03:18:17 PM by Eddie Clark »

This election would be awesome. I'd like a full out tl done on it with a couple PODs, such as maybe Clark being elected California Governor in 2978 as a Republican or something like that.

2978? You mean 1978 since that when he ran for governor but I will make a special tl that involves Jerry Brown being assassinated during his second day of office in 1975.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 03:05:41 PM »

2978? You mean 1978 since that when he ran for governor but I will make a special tl that involves Jerry Brown being assassinated during his second of office in 1978.

Yeah, sorry. A mis-type. I'm imagining a scenario where:
1974: With the disgrace of Richard Nixon and his pardoning by Gerald Ford, liberal Republican John Anderson announces his switching to the Democratic party.
1976: Former Georgia Governor Jimmy Carter is elected President over incumbent Gerald Ford.
1978: In a very anti-Democratic year, even the popular Governor Jerry Brown of California is defeated by little known Republican lawyer Ed Clark in an upset.
1979: Clark proves a popular Governor and as former California Governor Ronald Reagan bows out of a third run for the Presidency, much speculation is put on the one-term Governor. Across the aisle, Congressman John Anderson announces a run for the Presidency, an attempt to primary Jimmy Carter. Ted Kennedy decides not to run, as he doesn't want to run and has no real reason to run except that Carter is destroying the Democratic party. He instead endorses Anderson, who he hopes will beat out the disgraceful Carter. In November, Governor Clark formally enters the race for the Republican nomination.
1980: Clarks wins the Republican primaries, beating out his two main rivals, John Connally and George Bush, both of Texas. In order to win over "disgruntled Democrats", the New Left, and other such forces dis-satisfied with Carter, former Minnesota Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota is chosen.

Yellow-Governor Edward Clark of California
Blue-Former DCI George HW Bush of Texas
Red-Former Treasury Secretary John Connally of Texas
Meanwhile, on the Democratic side, John Anderson, a very intelligent man and a good debater, is able to rally liberals and depose of Carter scandal free in the primaries, though the race leaves a very bad taste in the mouth of the defeated incumbent, who refuses to endorse Anderson. Anderson nominates the man who practically gave him the nomination, Ted Kennedy, for Vice-President.

Green-Congressman John Anderson of Indiana
Red-President James E Carter of Georgia
The Religious Right, however, is not pleased with this turn of events, having lost both the Democrats and the Republicans to blatant social liberals and libertarians. Therefore, the American Party nominates Senator Jesse Helms of North Carolina and Congressman Larry MacDonald of Georgia for President and Vice-President. In the first debate, Anderson refuses to debate with Helms included and Clark easily wins in the debate despite facing serious challenges of his experience. The debate is mostly over social issues and Helms is side-lined as a reactionary bigot while Clark knows enough to soften his tone and not appear as a "radical libertine". Finally, Clark consents to a debate without Helms and Anderson and Clark go at it. The main differences between the candidates are foreign policy, affirmative action, and the welfare state. However, Anderson is put on the spot due to having to balance defending Carter and at the same time saying he is different, turning off more Democrats than expected. This is worsened when the topic of Anderson's party switch of 1974 is brought up. On election night, it's a tossup with Clark leading.

Governor Edward Clark (R-CA)/Former Senatur Eugene McCarthy (R-MN) 273 electoral votes, 44.8% of the popular vote
Congressman John B Anderson (D-IL)/Senator Edward M Kennedy (D-MA) 194 electoral votes, 40.5% of the popular vote
Senator Jesse Helms (A-NC)/Congressman Larry MacDonald (A-GA) 71 electoral votes, 14.5% of the popular vote
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2011, 03:37:37 PM by Eddie Clark »

Ed Clark won the gubernatorial special election over senator  Alan Cranston in a close battle that was determined by the swing eras that went for Ed Clark. "Ed Clark is one of the only governors in the country that represent the founding fathers ideas" said by former California governor Ronald Reagan who supported Clark campaign for governor of California and showed up at one of his rally's.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 04:39:24 PM »

Cool, though I recommend it go in another thread with some sort of clever title.

Also, here's a hint on posting photos. Instead of using url and img buttons and going through that lengthy, confusing, and well, unneeded process, just press the "inset image" button, and put the image's url code in between the two "img"'s that pop up, which are both framed by brackets.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 05:47:29 PM »

I've seen others on this site do alternative election story lines in tis forum along with the alternative elections forum. I'll include John Anderson in my slternstive president list that I'be not done yet. This is a buildup to what occurs in this election and I wanted to add detail to what happens to varity of our politicans.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »

I've seen others on this site do alternative election story lines in tis forum along with the alternative elections forum. I'll include John Anderson in my slternstive president list that I'be not done yet. This is a buildup to what occurs in this election and I wanted to add detail to what happens to varity of our politicans.

I know about the alternate tls, in fact I'm working on four of them, you can get to three of them through the links in my signature. I was just suggesting starting a new thread for it with some sort of title like say "The death of Jerry Brown and the changing of America" or "The Rise of Ed Clark" or something like that. There, you start right off with the opening post introducing the story as opposed to doing it in this thread where you've got all the discussion of the scenario.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies