Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 08:58:57 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate (Moderator: Beet)
| | |-+  Do public schools teach subversive literature to subvert its message?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Do public schools teach subversive literature to subvert its message?  (Read 457 times)
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2011, 06:11:21 am »
Ignore

On another message board I lurk at this topic came up, I'll just quote the good part.
To believe the Marxist literary theorists, the reason the establishment teaches books by Salinger (and Orwell, and Lee, and other anti-establishment authors) is to co-opt them and undermine their subversive content. I doubt teachers think of it that way, but getting handed a book in school definitely affects the way students read it. And the way teachers teach it also probably undermines the effectiveness of the book.
Any truth to it?  Well, obviously the last coupe of lines are true(ish), but they could be true whether the theory is fact or not.  I don't think it's true because it's almost too clever.  People that want to censor things don't tend to be that clever.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 06:45:59 am »
Ignore

Which Marxist literary theorists?

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:12:20 am »
Ignore

Any truth to it?  Well, obviously the last coupe of lines are true(ish), but they could be true whether the theory is fact or not.  I don't think it's true because it's almost too clever.  People that want to censor things don't tend to be that clever.

it doesn't have to be sketchy people in a board room plotting this out (though it may well be); capitalism has instincts of its own that lead to this sort of thing.

there's no ghosts in the graveyard, that's not where they live
they live in between a, 'what is' and 'what if?'
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:00:29 am »
Ignore

Are you seriously suggesting capitalism can "lead to this sort of thing"?  I guess it depends on what "this sort of thing" means, but if it means "some subversive books being less subversive because they are taught in public schools" then you might be nuts.  Not as nuts as saying capitalism is to blame for us having so few choices of entertainment, that's a whole 'nother category of crazy.

tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 10:13:57 am »
Ignore

I don't know that there's a significant difference between those two.  the point would be that people like Orwell (I'll exempt the other two because I don't think they can be called subversive at this stage - as regards Lee, ruling ideology has long claimed the Civil Rights movement as its own victory.  note the massive corporate sponsorship of the DC MLK memorial last month, as just one example out of the countless)... people like Orwell are not going to be taught in a way that in any way exaggerates their incendiary quality, at least on a mass level such as grade school.  this isn't claiming an absolute so much as a regurgitation of the ancient and well-proven theory that attitudes and practices are, on balance, going to mirror existing power relationships.  this does not imply nor require a consciousness of this on the part of people who propagate the stuff at its lowest level, such as the classroom.

there's no ghosts in the graveyard, that's not where they live
they live in between a, 'what is' and 'what if?'
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:47:54 am »
Ignore

Ive literally only logged on to this forum just now solely to laugh at the idea of Lee being considered a subversive author. (Insert much laughter here).

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 11:37:14 am »
Ignore

I seem to remember the edition of Lord of the Flies that I had to read for school including a small foreword (or a backcover note? Whatever) by William Golding himself making this exact point about the book now being taught in school.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout