New counties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:00:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  New counties
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: New counties  (Read 5778 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 11:40:11 PM »

With the exception of California, quite frankly, I don't see why we shouldn't have a movement towards county mergers all over the place, if not abolishing the idea of the "county" at all.  What a worthless subdivision in this day and age.

But, of course, no one would do that.  Except I think a bill was introduced in Nebraska's legislature, but that's about it.

Counties are a reasonably efficient scale to administer the courts, and they can be conveniently grouped for areas with smaller counties. They are also more effective than the state in maintaining local roads that are not in a city.

That's exactly why I think counties are ridiculous!  Just look at the counties of Michigan.  They're boxes that have no tie whatsoever to the underlying regions and communities they're suppose to represent.  So are Iowa's, and, well, pretty much everywhere else's.

I think the counties here are reasonably organic.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 11:46:04 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2011, 11:48:39 PM by Verily »

With the exception of California, quite frankly, I don't see why we shouldn't have a movement towards county mergers all over the place, if not abolishing the idea of the "county" at all.  What a worthless subdivision in this day and age.

But, of course, no one would do that.  Except I think a bill was introduced in Nebraska's legislature, but that's about it.

Counties are a reasonably efficient scale to administer the courts, and they can be conveniently grouped for areas with smaller counties. They are also more effective than the state in maintaining local roads that are not in a city.

That's exactly why I think counties are ridiculous!  Just look at the counties of Michigan.  They're boxes that have no tie whatsoever to the underlying regions and communities they're suppose to represent.  So are Iowa's, and, well, pretty much everywhere else's.

Solano? Alameda? Contra Costa? San Bernardino? Riverside? Placer? El Dorado? Nevada? Madera? Los Angeles?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 02:20:20 AM »

i would hope the area in Pastore's district forms a new county so Arpasshole won't have democrats to arrest.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 02:37:10 AM »

With the exception of California, quite frankly, I don't see why we shouldn't have a movement towards county mergers all over the place, if not abolishing the idea of the "county" at all.  What a worthless subdivision in this day and age.

But, of course, no one would do that.  Except I think a bill was introduced in Nebraska's legislature, but that's about it.

That's exactly why I think counties are ridiculous!  Just look at the counties of Michigan.  They're boxes that have no tie whatsoever to the underlying regions and communities they're suppose to represent.  So are Iowa's, and, well, pretty much everywhere else's.

Solano? Alameda? Contra Costa? San Bernardino? Riverside? Placer? El Dorado? Nevada? Madera? Los Angeles?

I was referring specifically to the Bay Area here. While there are obviously exceptions (Fremont probably should be in Santa Clara, while Palo Alto might be better in San Mateo), the counties do represent discrete areas for the most part.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 11:47:39 AM »

How'd they come up with the name Bullfrog County?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 11:57:25 AM »

I was referring specifically to the Bay Area here. While there are obviously exceptions (Fremont probably should be in Santa Clara, while Palo Alto might be better in San Mateo), the counties do represent discrete areas for the most part.

Okay, Solano, Alameda and Contra Costa still have clear problems.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 03:09:20 PM »

Bullfrog, Nevada : Empty County to Croak Unless It Goes to Waste

Old mine.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 04:32:28 PM »

South Carolina's counties are reasonably organic, but there are too many of them these days and no good way to merge them back together to deal with the fact that we no longer are limited to the speed of the horse when travelling.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies