SENATE BILL: 5th Amendment to the Proportional Representation Act (law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:25:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: 5th Amendment to the Proportional Representation Act (law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: 5th Amendment to the Proportional Representation Act (law'd)  (Read 8057 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2011, 05:58:18 PM »
« edited: October 10, 2011, 06:00:40 PM by Senator Duke »

The CID was not responsible for holding JBrase's seat. He got first preferences from the RPP, CID, and remaining Populares. I would consider the CID a small party when you compare them to the JCP or RPP. I don't remember their total, but it wasn't more than 15 or so I believe. I have no idea if they would still be around if they had been allowed to appoint someone to Homely's seat, but I would infer that they would be.

I laid out why the people shouldn't believe this is some bipartisan backup plan. Frankly, bgwah doesn't need this amendment because the JCP can easily hold Snowguy's seat should he win in October. I think he is pursuing it for the right reasons listed above.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2011, 06:00:02 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2011, 06:02:04 PM by Wolf Haley »

The CID was not responsible for holding JBrase's seat. He got first preferences from the RPP, CID, and remaining Populares. I would consider the CID a small party when you compare them to the JCP or RPP. I don't remember their ember total, but it wasn't more than 15 or so I believe. I have no idea if they would still be around if they had been allowed to appoint someone to Homely's seat, but I would infer that they would be.

I laid out why the people shouldn't believe this is some bipartisan backup plan. Frankly, bgwah doesn't need this amendment because the JCP can easily hold Snowguy's seat should he win in October. I think he is pursuing it for the right reasons listed above.

The JCP didn't hold Oakvale's seat.

Either way it is totally besides the point. Why should members in small parties receive special treatment?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2011, 06:02:34 PM »

The CID was not responsible for holding JBrase's seat. He got first preferences from the RPP, CID, and remaining Populares. I would consider the CID a small party when you compare them to the JCP or RPP. I don't remember their ember total, but it wasn't more than 15 or so I believe. I have no idea if they would still be around if they had been allowed to appoint someone to Homely's seat, but I would infer that they would be.

The JCP didn't hold Oakvale's seat.

That was an exception to the rule.

At any rate, again, both sides have their arguments, but I believe the current amendment on the table tackles it as well as it can. As I said, if it looks like there is abuse, we can quickly ram through an amendment to stop it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2011, 06:03:04 PM »

In this world where I am elected President, I assume Cincinnatus would take over if I died. Tongue

That is why we have a Vice President, no?

You know the difference between presidential/vice presidential and senatorial elections, don't you? Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2011, 06:03:32 PM »

Anyway, partisan appointments are against Democracy. Period.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2011, 06:05:44 PM »

The CID was not responsible for holding JBrase's seat. He got first preferences from the RPP, CID, and remaining Populares. I would consider the CID a small party when you compare them to the JCP or RPP. I don't remember their total, but it wasn't more than 15 or so I believe. I have no idea if they would still be around if they had been allowed to appoint someone to Homely's seat, but I would infer that they would be.

The CID collapsed because our two leaders quit (Yelnoc and homely).  Nothing else.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2011, 06:06:22 PM »

In this world where I am elected President, I assume Cincinnatus would take over if I died. Tongue

That is why we have a Vice President, no?

You know the difference between presidential/vice presidential and senatorial elections, don't you? Tongue

Yes, see above. Tongue

Anyway, partisan appointments are against Democracy. Period.

Is Atlasia a democracy? I agree the idea is not democratic, and if that is the aim of the bill, it fails miserable. If the aim of this bill is to help the game, then it is okay with me.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2011, 06:33:44 PM »

I would like a private briefing on this.

My view is that I support, at worst, an internal party vote for vacancies of 20% of the term or less... other than that, it should be a full election.

Any appointments should be made by an elected official, not a party boss.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2011, 06:37:32 PM »

The way the RPP handles things like this is to appoint someone who fits in ideologically with the person who they are replacing. At least whenever we have discussed it in the past that is what we want to do.

And keep in mind I don't support appointments if we are 20% into the term. This is just for people like homely who resigned immediately. I think it's really inefficient to have an election right after an election has ended.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2011, 11:55:16 PM »

The way the RPP handles things like this is to appoint someone who fits in ideologically with the person who they are replacing. At least whenever we have discussed it in the past that is what we want to do.

And keep in mind I don't support appointments if we are 20% into the term. This is just for people like homely who resigned immediately. I think it's really inefficient to have an election right after an election has ended.

He meant having an appointed Senator serve longer then 20% of the term which an appoint in this instance would entail.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2011, 11:59:37 PM »

If this were to pass, I would push for a bylaw in the RPP that vote be held on the choice prior to the choice being officially appointed by the chairman.

Though the 72 hour clause might make that difficult.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2011, 05:57:55 PM »

how is this constitutional again?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2011, 06:18:51 PM »

Now is not constitutional?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2011, 06:33:33 PM »

Art I. Sec 4, Clause 5.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2011, 08:52:17 PM »

But it's not a vacancy. It's a concession from a Senator-elect. I think that's different.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2011, 09:04:57 PM »

Although interestingly enough, that means the six week thing should probably be clarified, if presumably we can't have a special election unless there are less than three weeks until the next general election. The current law uses six weeks left of it... Hmm, should probably fix this while we're at it.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »

I understand the skeptics regarding this law, but it would be ridiculous to allow the runner up to assume the office should the duly elected senator concede the election.  Just like the party-appointed senator was not elected, neither is the senator, likely from a different party, who came in 2nd.

We should not have to deal with a senator that not only was not elected, but also goes against the ideological makeup that Atlasians voted for because the winning candidate conceded after he was elected.

I fully support this measure.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2011, 10:04:42 PM »

But it's not a vacancy. It's a concession from a Senator-elect. I think that's different.
In that case, the appointment of officepark was not in a vacancy, and so was illegal.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2011, 12:02:35 AM »

In that case, the appointment of officepark was not in a vacancy, and so was illegal.

No. What you cited specifies Class B seats (at-large). The same article you cited says Class A seats (regional) are appointed by the Governor. And we have of course since passed an amendment giving regions more power over how they deal with their vacancies.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2011, 01:43:31 AM »

With 5 ayes, 4 nays, and 1 non-voting abstention, the amendment has passed.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2011, 02:04:04 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2011, 10:20:13 PM by bgwah »

I'm proposing the following amendment to deal with another aspect of the PRA that I thought of thanks to Shua:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Explanation: This changes very little about the current law. Since the Constitution pretty clearly says special elections are to be held for at-large seats when there are less than three weeks before the next election, I thought we should just update the PRA to say that instead of six weeks before the end of the term. Six weeks is about the same amount of time, but it could probably be five or seven weeks depending on the month.

Thoughts? Questions?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2011, 08:13:21 AM »

No. What you cited specifies Class B seats (at-large). The same article you cited says Class A seats (regional) are appointed by the Governor. And we have of course since passed an amendment giving regions more power over how they deal with their vacancies.
If a concession for a Class B Senator-elect does not constitute a vacancy, then a concession for a Class A Senator-elect does not constitute a vacancy either.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2011, 12:09:21 PM »

If a concession for a Class B Senator-elect does not constitute a vacancy, then a concession for a Class A Senator-elect does not constitute a vacancy either.

And as far as I can tell this law has been in place for years... So what's your point?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2011, 12:30:09 PM »

Or was your point that tmth conceded his seat, and that the Officepark appointment was illegal? Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2011, 01:00:06 PM »

Or was your point that tmth conceded his seat, and that the Officepark appointment was illegal? Smiley

Tmthforu was elected for Mideast regional seat, declined and Governor appointed his (and tmth's) party colleague. Because law does not provide special election on regional level, then I can't see any legal problem (what else, leave seat vacant for entire term? Tongue)

The same situation with Snowguy. When I was elected to the Vice Presidency and Senate, I had to decline my seat, so Governor (Sewer) appointed Snowguy. We all happen to be JCP-ers.

Anyway, I oppose appointments and I don't want this crap to extend on at-large level. Period.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies