If you can have any amendment...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:11:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If you can have any amendment...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If you can have any amendment...  (Read 4024 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2004, 06:47:48 PM »

''The federal government or the state governments shall make no law prohibiting any individual from fulfilling his or her rights as established in the First Amendment in relation to sexual orientation.''

Thats to stop the fundies in their tracks. The First Amendment doesn't seem to apply to gay people in their view.

Pardon my ignorance but what's a fundie?

Fundamentalist.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2004, 06:54:25 AM »

Japan's pacifist amendment.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2004, 08:38:21 AM »

He's talking about that?! Since when is this a first amendment right?
Freedom of Expression. Ever since that big costume ball called the Boston Tea Party.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2004, 08:40:54 AM »

As to my own choice...tough one.
I think I'll take an amendment that is simply a repetition of the whole text in Spanish, with some additional language in English and Spanish saying that these are the official languages of the US.
DaleC76
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2004, 11:48:24 AM »

I'd like to see term limits for Supreme Court Justices.   Staggered 18 year terms, so a new Justice is appointed every two years.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2004, 12:58:12 PM »

I think I'll take an amendment that is simply a repetition of the whole text in Spanish, with some additional language in English and Spanish saying that these are the official languages of the US.

Yes, be more like Quebec.  They are SUCH a model of efficency.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2004, 05:21:17 PM »

Have you taken your drugs today?

Really, an amendment that says our armed forces can only be used for defense is the worst thing you could ever propose. What about when Russia gets pissed off and nukes Poland and starts a war. "Well I'm sorry, folks, the constitution says I can't help out NATO.  You are dangerously misinformed about how the world works and it's distressing that people can think like you do.
Confabulator
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2004, 07:52:01 PM »

Why do we care if Russia nukes poland?

I'd choose to say that the United States may only enter an ARMED CONFLICT upon a majority vote in both the house and senate.

I'm tired of these conflicts which are basically wars where war is never declared.  Declare war or don't go at all.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2004, 09:34:02 PM »

I would have something like this, I'd call it the life amendment

1. No form of killing or murder shall be made legal or acceptable as punishment within the United States except when done in self defense*
2. This shall apply to all residents of the United States, including but not limited too unborn children**, criminals, persons in comas, and those wishing asisted suicide

*abortions done to save the life of the mother is defined as self defense
**children's lives are defined as beginning at the moment of conception

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2004, 10:30:12 PM »

Yes, be more like Quebec.  They are SUCH a model of efficency.

More like Canada in general.  Quebec hates English with a passion.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2004, 10:43:28 PM »

I'd like to see term limits for Supreme Court Justices.   Staggered 18 year terms, so a new Justice is appointed every two years.

I've actually proposed that before.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2004, 11:34:48 PM »

Why do we care if Russia nukes poland?

I'd choose to say that the United States may only enter an ARMED CONFLICT upon a majority vote in both the house and senate.

I'm tired of these conflicts which are basically wars where war is never declared.  Declare war or don't go at all.

Because we know they didn't do it for fun.  If Russia were to come west we have an interest in keeping Europe free. Just as we have an interest in seeing the Pacific Rim out of China's control.
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2004, 06:00:49 AM »

Elections Amendment
1.  The number of seats in the House of Representatives shall never be less than three for every two million residents.
2.  Those parts of the federal district not property of the federal government shall become property of the state of Maryland at the completion of the next census.  Until such time, the residents of the district shall elect one representative and no senators.
3.  If a senator is unable to serve or resigns his position the legislature of that senator's state shall vote togeter for his replacement until the people of that state can next vote.
4.  On the day after the first monday of November every fourth year starting in 2008, citizens eleigible to vote may vote for the office of president and vice president.  Based on these votes, a number of points shall be distributed in a fair way predetermined by that state's legislature.  The number of points awarded by a state shall be equal to  that state's seats in the House of Representatives, and each point shall count for a candidate for president and a candidate for vice-president.  Any person having a majority of the total points for either office shall be elected to that office.  If nobody has a majority of the points awarded for president, the house of representative shall choose the president from the top two point-getters.  The senate shall choose the vice-president in similar manner if nobody has the majority of points.

1 establishes a maximum district size for house.
2 gives DC to Maryland
3 lets state legislature choose replacement senators
4 abolishes physical electors, requires that people be allowed to vote for president, and reduces each state's EVs by 2
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies