Precinct Shape Files
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:01:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Precinct Shape Files
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Precinct Shape Files  (Read 1431 times)
VinceL
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2011, 03:54:55 PM »

I have been trying--in vain--to locate shape files for election precincts (not census VTDs) for the state of Arkansas. If anyone can direct me to a free or commercial source for these, please reply.

Thanks,
Vince
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 11:45:41 PM »

I have been trying--in vain--to locate shape files for election precincts (not census VTDs) for the state of Arkansas. If anyone can direct me to a free or commercial source for these, please reply.
Do the shapefiles exist, and how do election precincts and VTDs differ in Arkansas?

If elections in Arkansas are conducted by counties, a rural county could easily get by with a printed map.  If a voter shows up at the wrong polling place, the voter and the election judge could look at the map and figure out which side of Boggy Creek the voter lives on and whether that is east of county road 3 or not.

The only reason they would have to a digital form, would be if the SOS told them to, and then they would create VTD's because they are easy to tie to census data.

Precincts and VTD's don't always match because precincts have a practical use, which is convenience of voters.  Voters live along roads, and precincts are drawn to let them drive to the polling place.  Census blocks are areas bounded by roads, but it might not be possible to easily drive from one side of the block to the other and voters might be in different precincts.

Larger counties, such as Pulaski and Washington might have GIS systems with the actual precinct boundaries, but you might have to go to each county to get shapefiles.
VinceL
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 12:08:00 AM »

Election precincts are smaller than the VTD's, which are the larger boundaries used by the Census Bureau. The shape files do exist. I've found several counties worth via data.gov, but only two of the counties I need--all of which are in the new 3rd CD. Arkansas designed the new CDs based on the old precincts, but no one at the SOS or other offices seems to have the shape files.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 02:36:30 AM »

Election precincts are smaller than the VTD's, which are the larger boundaries used by the Census Bureau. The shape files do exist. I've found several counties worth via data.gov, but only two of the counties I need--all of which are in the new 3rd CD. Arkansas designed the new CDs based on the old precincts, but no one at the SOS or other offices seems to have the shape files.

What about the Arkansas Board of Apportionment?  It has data files that suggest that a combination of VTDs and census blocks were used in defining legislative districts.  Or the Bureau of Legislative Research (see legislative web site).

VTDs are defined by the States and can be whatever the State wants them to be.  The Census Bureau simply tabulates data based on VTDs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies