Dems and Indies Only, Pick 1 Of The NY Dems (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:46:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Dems and Indies Only, Pick 1 Of The NY Dems (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which New York Politician Do You Like Better
Gov. Cuomo

Sen. Shumer

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Dems and Indies Only, Pick 1 Of The NY Dems  (Read 2623 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: October 02, 2011, 09:34:41 PM »

Cuomo, because Schumer's record is highly troubling in many areas relating to the police power and he seems to have a terrible personality. If Gillibrand had been an option I would have voted for her.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:51:55 PM »

Even with his willingness to make public employees pay more for their benefits and echo many of things Gov. Christie and Gov. Walker have been saying? Oh and it isn't like Cuomo is for a "balanced approach" he thinks New York is overtaxed as well so he wont offset public employee benefit cuts with any tax increases.

I've got to assume that when the chips are down its the social issues that win out for most progressives. Alright, I'm intrigued.

Cuomo does make me uncomfortable on economic issues (which I do care about a lot), but he's sufficiently technocratic as opposed to an ideological neoliberal that I'd support him over Schumer. My discomfort with a lot of his actions on economic and labour policy is exactly why I prefer Gillibrand over him.

Social liberal and economic leftist with a good personality>Social liberal and economic centrist/technocrat/pragmatist with a good personality>Social liberal-but-also-kind-of-police-statist and economic leftist with a terrible personality.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 10:22:37 PM »

Even with his willingness to make public employees pay more for their benefits and echo many of things Gov. Christie and Gov. Walker have been saying? Oh and it isn't like Cuomo is for a "balanced approach" he thinks New York is overtaxed as well so he wont offset public employee benefit cuts with any tax increases.

I've got to assume that when the chips are down its the social issues that win out for most progressives. Alright, I'm intrigued.

Cuomo does make me uncomfortable on economic issues (which I do care about a lot), but he's sufficiently technocratic as opposed to an ideological neoliberal that I'd support him over Schumer. My discomfort with a lot of his actions on economic and labour policy is exactly why I prefer Gillibrand over him.

Social liberal and economic leftist with a good personality>Social liberal and economic centrist/technocrat/pragmatist with a good personality>Social liberal-but-also-kind-of-police-statist and economic leftist with a terrible personality.

Since Christie is more technocratic than an ideologue and has taken similar actions on the economic front as Cuomo, does that mean he doesn't bother you that much?

Christie's actions have gone a few steps further in some areas and he seems a lot less interested in negotiation or explaining his actions to people who don't already agree with him. That said, yes, he's still much less offensive to my sensibilities than someone like Walker or Kasich.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 10:56:47 PM »

Point taken, though the form that that messaging of his takes still bothers me. He's nevertheless probably the best of the Republican governors first elected in the 2009 and 2010 cycles. He's not a moron like Deal or Bentley, a criminal like Scott, or a would-be dictator like most of the crop in the Midwest. So, to answer your original question, he bothers me, but yes, I do have a lot less of a problem with him than I do with those people.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies