Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 06:50:23 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  U.S. Presidential Election Results
| | |-+  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | | |-+  Why did Hillary win the South Dakota primary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Why did Hillary win the South Dakota primary?  (Read 819 times)
Nichlemn
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2013, 05:34:30 pm »
Ignore

Obama won all the surrounding states and was thought to be a favourite, but Clinton won by 10 points. Is there anything unique to South Dakota or was this an artifact of the campaign, perhaps a sympathy vote for the almost-sure loser?

Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 05:56:43 pm »
Ignore

Maybe Republicans who wanted to troll... is SD an open primary?

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 05:57:35 pm »
Ignore

A few things.

Iowa, Minnesota, Wyoming and North Dakota are caucus states.  Nebraska has a few black people.  Montana is in the mold of the Western states that Obama won and the campaign put more resources in Montana because it was a potential swing state.
Clinton 2016
diskymike44
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:32:56 am »
Ignore

The clintons hit this state hard and poured money into my state because they thought it would be the "game breaker" in the end
Landslide Lyndon
px75
YaBB God
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -5.22

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 06:57:06 am »
Ignore

The clintons hit this state hard and poured money into my state because they thought it would be the "game breaker" in the end

That.
Obama also had already shifted into general election mode and spent most of his time campaigning in states like Michigan, Missouri and Wisconsin.

Bob Findley: "You're a real dyed-in-the-wool son-of-a-bitch. Anyone ever told you that?"
Steve Everett: "Just close friends and family,"

Clint Eastwood's "True Crime", 1999.
Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 07:12:08 am »
Ignore

Didn't Nate Silver have state-by-state predictions for every primary in 2008, based purely on the demography of each state?  What did his formula say for South Dakota?

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
paulsonj72
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 07:33:41 am »
Ignore

Maybe Republicans who wanted to troll... is SD an open primary?

No it's not. When you register to vote you register by party. I used to live just across the border in South Dakota from MN and when I registered to vote I had to put a party down.
TDAS04
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 04:59:18 pm »
Ignore

I was at the last Hillary rally in 2008; I got to see her, Bill, and Chelsea when they stopped in Sioux Falls the night before the primaries were over.

Nate Silver actually predicted an Obama victory in the SD primary, reasoning that SD whites were primarily of English, German, and Scandinavian ancestry; these whites tend to be more socially liberal then some other groups of whites.

While Silver is more accurate of a predictor than anyone else, he did not call this one correctly.  I believe that Hillary won SD by simply taking the time to campaign here, and it pays off in a small state.  Certainly, South Dakota Democrats did not have the same hostility to Obama as Democrats in Kentucky or West Virginia.

Economic:  -2.45
Social:  -6.26
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout