Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 30, 2014, 03:15:21 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  U.S. Presidential Election Results
| | |-+  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | | |-+  Did Obama win Christians in Utah?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Poll
Question: Did Obama win Christians in Utah?
Yes   -10 (22.2%)
No   -35 (77.8%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Did Obama win Christians in Utah?  (Read 4535 times)
A.G. Snowstalker
Snowstalker
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 02:30:43 pm »
Ignore

Mormons are Christians.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 08:24:42 pm »
Ignore

Mormons are Christians, end of story.

But back to the original question in this thread, before it got hijacked.

Did Obama win Christians in Utah?

The answer is since Obama did not win the Mormon vote in Utah, then no, he did not win the Christian vote in Utah. 

WORST PRESIDENT SINCE WORLD WAR II
They call me PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 08:31:41 pm »
Ignore

Just because Mormons are weird and strange doesn't mean they're not Christians.

If people were excluded based on being " a strange lunacy cult", then you could exclude a lot of Christians worldwide.
phk
phknrocket1k
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 10:41:11 pm »
Ignore

I thought this level of sectarianism was for Levantine Arabs :p

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 03:41:03 am »
Ignore

Certainly not.  Unless you consider Catholics Christian, of course.

Grin

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2011, 03:47:54 am »
Ignore

While there are slight differences about which sentences exactly belong in the Bible and in which order, no (other) Christian Church has anything remotely like the Book of Mormon, and its existence is, from a purely theological point of view, a massive, huge, disqualifying heresy. You might almost as well consider Muslims to be Jews.

Culturally, of course, Mormons (more so than the Native American Church, which also references Jesus Christ. As does Islam, of course.) are part of the great American Protestant Christian Tradition. A somewhat divergent part, but clearly a part.

So bottomline. They're Christians, but not. Tongue

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 01:10:15 am »
Ignore

The Book of Mormon also contradicts the Bible, for example take the bit about Jesus and Satan being brothers. This contradicts a lot about Jesus being the only Son of God, for example see this oft-quoted verse:

Quote from: John 3:16
For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

Then the bit about how God was once a man on another planet and therefore did not create the entire universe...

For a more borderline case you might want to ask if Unity is Christian, I'd say they are but I'm sure jmfcst wouldn't.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Ebowed
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -8.32, S: -9.30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 05:13:31 am »
Ignore

The Book of Mormon also contradicts the Bible

Who cares?  The Bible contradicts itself.

A tidal wave of healthcare has swept across coal country. 
ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 10:18:10 am »
Ignore

Just because Mormons are weird and strange doesn't mean they're not Christians.

If people were excluded based on being " a strange lunacy cult", then you could exclude a lot of Christians worldwide.

Doctrinally, Mormons are about as related to Christianity as, say, Muslims or Jews (or, actually, Mormons to Christianity are what Christians are to Judaism). Culturally, and from the point of view of self-identification, of course, they are Christians.  But in terms of what they believe in, the gap with Christianity is striking.

Курица - не птица, Болгария - не заграница.
ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 10:24:57 am »
Ignore

What about Greek and Russian Orthodox "Christians" and Unitarians (the John Adams kind)?

Greek, Russian and other Eastern Orthodox are about as Christian as Catholics. In fact, they are not even considered heretics by the Catholic church (though they, in fact, believe Catholics to be heretical). The most important doctrinal difference between the to is on the nature of the Holy Ghost (the Orthodox believe it to come from the Father, while the Catholics add "and Son"). On this the Eastern Orthodox view, in fact, has better pedigree: that's the original Nicean Creed, which Catholics have modified. Pretty much on all other matters that don't have to do w/ the role of the Bishop of Rome they are indistinguishable.

In any case, theological and historical differences betwenn Eastern (or, even, Oriental) Orthodox and most Protestant churches might be huge, but they pale in comparison between the differences between even most  evangelical churches and the Mormons. On the bulk of what they believe in Orthodox, Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans, Baptists, etc., etc. are fairly close - while Mormons are almost as distinct from them all as are the Muslims.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:26:32 am by ag »Logged

Курица - не птица, Болгария - не заграница.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 11:49:52 am »
Ignore

In any case, theological and historical differences betwenn Eastern (or, even, Oriental) Orthodox and most Protestant churches might be huge, but they pale in comparison between the differences between even most  evangelical churches and the Mormons. On the bulk of what they believe in Orthodox, Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans, Baptists, etc., etc. are fairly close - while Mormons are almost as distinct from them all as are the Muslims.

This. If we're considering Mormons Christians, should we also consider Muslims Christian because they view Jesus as a Prophet, believe that he had a virgin birth, and believe in his Second Coming?

Furthermore, Mormons:
- don't believe in Apostolic Succession
- view the three personages of the trinity as fully separate personages rather than as three cosubstantial personages in one being
- Mormons believe that God the Father is only one of countless Gods, and that he used to be a man who lived on another planet

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:59:49 am by Stranger in a strange land »Logged

Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 11:55:24 am »
Ignore

This. If we're considering Mormons Christians, should we also consider Muslims Christian because they view Jesus as a Prophet, believe that he had a virgin birth, and believe in his Second Coming?

Muslims also believe he was never crucified. Mohammed must have spoken to some gnostics.

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 12:00:42 pm »
Ignore

Muslims also believe he was never crucified. Mohammed must have spoken to some gnostics.

yeah, early Christianity had a lot of very interesting offshoots.

They call me PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2011, 11:31:34 pm »
Ignore

If you're gonna be a Christian, be an unemotional,somewhat rational,  traditional one (ie Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, mainline Protestant). Don't be one of those "have you found Jesus?" people.

And for God's sake, don't start your own denomination in this day and age.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2011, 05:03:12 pm »
Ignore

If Mormons are consider Christians, no, Obama did no win the vote of Christians in Utah. If not, nah but the true Christian crowd isn't as Republican as the Mormons-LDS are in the state.

JCL is dating a geologist
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2011, 11:14:54 pm »
Ignore

Mormons are not Christians and no Obama didn't win Christians in Utah.

Congressional Races
Jackie Walorski (R/IN-2)
Marlin Stutzman (R/IN-3)
Todd Rokita (R/IN-4)
Chard Reid (Lib/IN-5)
Luke Messer (R/IN-6)
Tom Massie (R/KY-4)
David Brat (R/VA-7)
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2011, 08:22:24 pm »
Ignore

According to the OP's definition, yes.

That said, I don't believe Mormonism is Christianity, but neither do I think the religion is weird or disturbing. That said, I am a Jew descended from Russian immigrants living in Ohio, and have therefore personally encountered very few Mormons, so this really isn't much of an expert opinion.

I apologize for being so adamantly right.
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 08:42:32 pm »
Ignore

Furthermore, Mormons:
- don't believe in Apostolic Succession

Neither do most Protestant churches.

MooMooMoo
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2011, 02:14:27 pm »
Ignore

Mormons also reject the Trinity and their churches don't have crosses on them.

This is why I think that Mormonism is not part of Christianity. Do you believe in the Father, Son and Holy Ghost? No? Then you are not a Christian. It isn't rocket science.

the result is a sense that we were told to attend a lavish dinner party that was going to be wonderful and by the time we got there, all the lobster and steak had been eaten, a fight had broken out, the police had been called and all that was left was warm beer and chips.
[/quot
Deadly Poisonous Zanzibar Hamster
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2011, 05:54:08 pm »
Ignore

This is why I think that Mormonism is not part of Christianity. Do you believe in the Father, Son and Holy Ghost? No? Then you are not a Christian. It isn't rocket science.
Non-Trinitarians aren't Christians?

Convincing BRTD to drop the Sneakers O'Toole BS is like convincing Sneakers O'Toole to take his sneakers off.

(I realize I'm probably just further encouraging him by saying that, and for this I apologize.)
Jackson
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 09:21:42 pm »
Ignore

No. The acceptance of the trinity has been a fundamental component of Christianity since the promulgation of the Nicene Creed.

A.G. Snowstalker
Snowstalker
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 09:46:39 pm »
Ignore

Did he win non-Mormons? Probably.

But Mormons believe in Jeebus, so they're Christian enough for my criteria.

Jackson
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2011, 10:18:28 pm »
Ignore

Edit: Nevermind. Just lock this troll thread.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 03:17:36 am by Jackson »Logged

MooMooMoo
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2011, 09:22:30 am »
Ignore

Non-Trinitarians aren't Christians?
Well, yeah.  That's the Nicene Creed. I've been to a few Unitarian churches and they don't consider themselves Christian.

the result is a sense that we were told to attend a lavish dinner party that was going to be wonderful and by the time we got there, all the lobster and steak had been eaten, a fight had broken out, the police had been called and all that was left was warm beer and chips.
[/quot
Thomas_S_Richard106
ThomasSmith106
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2013, 07:37:50 pm »
Ignore

I don't consider Mormons to be christian so yes I think Obama did win Christians in Utah b/c there are probably some Hispanic Catholics in Utah...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout