Why the Cain Train will (sadly) be derailed eventually.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:10:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why the Cain Train will (sadly) be derailed eventually.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Why the Cain Train will (sadly) be derailed eventually.  (Read 4758 times)
Averroës Nix
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 12:20:02 PM »
« edited: October 05, 2011, 12:22:01 PM by Averroës Nix »

You want me to do Cain's research for him, eh?  Tongue

He already did! It's just "simple regression analysis":

“I had some of the best economists in this country help me to develop this plan. You know, my background is mathematics. It was a simple regression analysis. We took the government data and looked at how much tax revenue from personal income tax, how much tax revenue came from corporate tax, how much revenue came from capital gains tax, how much revenue from the death tax. We added them all up, and you do a simple regression analysis and say in order to reduce this much on corporate income, personal income and national sales tax, what should that number be if we equally break up those three buckets. It was a simple regression analysis.” [emphasis added]

(The quote is from a TV appearance, by the way, not his website.)
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 12:22:09 PM »

Hmmm.  Mittens who oh who can you use?
Perry will need to take him down to have any chance. However, if the last debate was any sign of things to come than any Perry attack on Cain would backfire badly.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 12:22:42 PM »

As to the thread, I disagree, EH.  Cain got to this point without media support and he can win Iowa without media support.

Actually, it might even help him.  The less you know about candidates in this cycle the more you are likely to support them.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 12:30:03 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2011, 12:44:26 PM by Torie »

Ah you just got to love those extrapolated straight lines!  And the beauty of it is that you can do regression analyses yourself these days right on excel, and don't need to manually crank the data like I had to before rocks cooled in an advanced statistics class in Business School.  Cool!  

I won't bother getting into the politics of it right now. That would be overkill.

Oh come to think of it, what is really so special, is that the extrapolated straight lines just happen to end up at 999, right where God wants them!  It's seamless baby.  It kind of reminds me of the way "scientists" used to stuff jellybeans into human brain skulls to "prove" that blacks had smaller brains. Yes, you guessed it, the beans were stuffed tighter into white skulls, so there were more beans in them!  It is called "massaging" the data in the trade, sort of the way the Dems did in AZ with their little partisan baselines numbers as they just totally punched the Pubbies into a bloody pulp in the just completed swivving the Dems did on top of the Pubs in the AZ CD redistricting game.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »

In Cain's case, he's not taken seriously because he's ultra-right-wing and (...) he's completely clueless on foreign affairs. Completely.
Yet they took Bachmann seriously.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
(and a Black Republican to boot... let's face it, such people exist for the purpose of light entertainment) may actually be more important in the context of point 1 than in the context you mention it. A Black man just needs to jump through more hoops to be acceptable to your average Republican voter than a White man, but Cain is willing and happy to jump through all of them. While singing the "America the Beautiful" backwards and juggling red white and blue golfballs, if that's what it takes.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 12:40:51 PM »

The powers that be will end him if he becomes a serious threat.

what are they going to do, stuff the ballot boxes, reprogram the voting machines, burn a cross in his front yard?
Pay someone to burn a cross - and your Cain yard signs - in your front yard.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 12:42:42 PM »

Ah you just got to love those extrapolated straight lines!  

I understand what you are saying, but Mitt Romney has no message, it's like listening to a seashell...there's nothing there but white noise (pardon the pun), plus he has a past that doesnt sit well with conservative, both fiscal and social.  He's campaign for 5 years and can't break 25%.  And he lacks a bio involving 6 years in a POW camp to cover up his lack of message and his flipflops.

In fact, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it is more likely that the race comes down to Cain vs Newt than Romney vs AnyoneElse.

Romney is in trouble, because right about now people are going to start really tuning in and listening, and Romney doesnt have a message to sell....and with the economy probably entering a new recession, people are going to be looking for a candidate with a plan.

Newt and Cain have a plan, Romney doesn't...no one is going to be able to coast to the 2012 GOP nomination - he/she has to have a sellable message.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 12:46:09 PM »

Nah. This race is (probably. Well, as good a guess as any, anyways) mostly about being the non-Romney at the right moment. Once you've achieved that, the nomination's in the bag.

Of course, I said that about the Democratic nomination process four years ago, with Hilary as Romney. And while I was right... most potential contenders clearly didn't see it that way, or there would have been far more of them.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »

Ah you just got to love those extrapolated straight lines!  

I understand what you are saying, but Mitt Romney has no message, it's like listening to a seashell...there's nothing there but white noise (pardon the pun), plus he has a past that doesnt sit well with conservative, both fiscal and social.  He's campaign for 5 years and can't break 25%.  And he lacks a bio involving 6 years in a POW camp to cover up his lack of message and his flipflops.

In fact, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it is more likely that the race comes down to Cain vs Newt than Romney vs AnyoneElse.

Romney is in trouble, because right about now people are going to start really tuning in and listening, and Romney doesnt have a message to sell....and with the economy probably entering a new recession, people are going to be looking for a candidate with a plan.

Newt and Cain have a plan, Romney doesn't...no one is going to be able to coast to the 2012 GOP nomination - he/she has to have a sellable message.

Read your Bible some more jmfcst.  You no doubt will find the texts that will help you a bit more with some of this. I'm confident of it!  Smiley jk
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2011, 12:48:54 PM »

Oh come to think of it, what is really so special, is that the extrapolated straight lines just happen to end up at 999, right where God wants them!  It's seamless baby.  

what?  what does God have to do with 999?  if you're attempting to say Cain is trying to sell his 999 plan to Christians based on some Godly principle, then you're picking up a subliminal message that is flying right over the head of jmfcst.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2011, 12:50:55 PM »

Oh come to think of it, what is really so special, is that the extrapolated straight lines just happen to end up at 999, right where God wants them!  It's seamless baby.  

what?  what does God have to do with 999?  if you're attempting to say Cain is trying to sell his 999 plan to Christians based on some Godly principle, then you're picking up a subliminal message that is flying right over the head of jmfcst.

It's the tithing thing jmfcst, which is a decile concept, to wit a 10, which is one integer above a 9. As I said, you need to read your Bible some more on this. And you need to do it now! 
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2011, 12:52:52 PM »

Because he has no self-censor.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/10/cain-if-you-dont-have-a-job-and-you-are-not-rich-blame-yourself-video.php

Anyone else want to take a turn?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2011, 12:55:21 PM »

Being rich is a sign from God that He loves you, and  are going to heaven silly. (Yes, I know, I am the exception that proves the rule, because I am going to reside myself right next to Mark Twain.) You need to read your Bible too! 
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2011, 12:56:02 PM »

It's the tithing thing jmfcst, which is a decile concept, to wit a 10, which is one integer above a 9. As I said, you need to read your Bible some more on this. And you need to do it now!  

I am a tither, and then some, and I don't see any connection because two of those 9's are directed at me (9% payroll tax + 9% sales tax)...so that is 18% and I'm assuming that's still before SS taxes....so, no I don't see any connection with tithing and 999, other than it is proportional (flat).

Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Video here.

And let's not forget this.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2011, 12:59:59 PM »

I am a tither, and then some, and I don't see any connection because two of those 9's are directed at me (9% payroll tax + 9% sales tax)...so that is 18% and I'm assuming that's still before SS taxes....so, no I don't see any connection with tithing and 999, other than it is proportional (flat).

God does not want you to sum the 9's jmfcst.  That is just so wrong!  Each 9 stands on its own, and therefore it is God's will displayed in a trifecta form - sort of like the trinity concept. Read the chapter in the Bible called "Numbers."  It's right there!  
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2011, 01:01:14 PM »

People forgot his ignorant comments. All he needs to do is remind them. Right now, he is just sucking up the Perry/ Bachmann vacuum.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2011, 01:01:53 PM »

Being rich is a sign from God that He loves you, and  are going to heaven silly. (Yes, I know, I am the exception that proves the rule, because I am going to reside myself right next to Mark Twain.) You need to read your Bible too! 

God does not want you to sum the 9's jmfcst.  That is just so wrong!  Each 9 stands on its own, and therefore it is God's will displayed in a trifecta form - sort of like the trinity concept. Read the chapter in the Bible called "Numbers."  It's right there!  

it's interesting that Cain has brought out this side of your personality.  I would expect this sort of reaction to 999 from a 99er, not a lawyer.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2011, 01:04:06 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2011, 01:07:28 PM by Torie »

Being rich is a sign from God that He loves you, and  are going to heaven silly. (Yes, I know, I am the exception that proves the rule, because I am going to reside myself right next to Mark Twain.) You need to read your Bible too!  

it's interesting that Cain has brought out this side of your personality.  I would expect this sort of reaction to 999 from a 99er, not a lawyer.

I have multiple personalities jmfcst.  Yes, you need to go to a psychology text to get where you need to go on that one.  The Bible is great, but there is a bit that it left out for some reason. And 99'er (what is that?), is 50 points better than a 49'er, which gets right back to my point about Croesus and God. All the dots connect jmfcst.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2011, 01:05:30 PM »

I am amused and touched to see that my late night/early morning rant has started such a spirited debate!
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2011, 01:08:42 PM »

look, Cain could have called his simple plan a complicated name like "Flat 9% Income, Sales, and Corporate Tax Plan for building a 21st Century American Economy"...but he has a enough marketing sense to simply call it 999, which opens up an opportunity to explain his simple plan in 30 seconds.

That's why his plan is marketable - it's explainable in 30 seconds, with a punch line of "no more IRS, no more tax cheats, no more loop holes, and everyone pays the same rate."

On the surface, sounds like a winning sales pitch to me, for it at least grabs your attention - which does way more in 30 seconds than Romney can do in 30 minutes.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2011, 01:09:03 PM »

I am amused and touched to see that my late night/early morning rant has started such a spirited debate!

Did you learn anything?  Smiley
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2011, 01:14:11 PM »

yeah, it started right after you left  Wink
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2011, 01:19:03 PM »

I have multiple personalities jmfcst.  Yes, you need to go to a psychology text to get where you need to go on that one.  The Bible is great, but there is a bit that it left out for some reason. And 99'er (what is that?), is 50 points better than a 49'er, which gets right back to my point about Croesus and God. All the dots connect jmfcst.

no, a 99er is someone who has been milking unemployment checks for 99 months.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2011, 01:22:59 PM »

look, Cain could have called his simple plan a complicated name like "Flat 9% Income, Sales, and Corporate Tax Plan for building a 21st Century American Economy"...but he has a enough marketing sense to simply call it 999, which opens up an opportunity to explain his simple plan in 30 seconds.
Doesn't it sound multiple alarm bells with anyone who's read Revelation and looked at a picture of Cain's forehead, though?
Oh wait, didn't the original Cain also bear a sign there (Cain's mark)... but the dark skin is Ham's curse, nothing to do with any of these... sheesh, I need to get my story straightened out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies