Joy Behar: Incredibly well versed in political history.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:09:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joy Behar: Incredibly well versed in political history.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Joy Behar: Incredibly well versed in political history.  (Read 1308 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2011, 10:46:41 PM »

"The Republican party hasn't been black friendly over the many centuries in this country." - Behar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vob-aM2W270

A truly brilliant woman.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:52:03 PM »

There's a reason 85%+ of blacks vote Democrat.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 10:59:33 PM »

There's no debate now.  Saying that the Republican party wasn't "particularly black friendly over the many centuries" implies that the democrats weren't the controlling party in the South.  Her implication is somewhat fair in comparison with the democratic party of recent, but "centuries" is a stretch.
lowtech redneck
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 11:11:35 PM »

There's also a reason they're the only segment of the electorate (in terms of ethnicity) who still approve of Obama, much less monolithically.

greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 11:23:09 PM »

There's also a reason they're the only segment of the electorate (in terms of ethnicity) who still approve of Obama, much less monolithically.

I understand your point with reference to Obama but my point was that's how they vote in every election at the state/federal levels.

I will also say that I get annoyed with the people who support a particular candidate/official over the actual issues (Omg I know about all the tax cuts, war, torture, and prison/military industrial complex, but forget that! Don't you just want to have a beer with him? He's so nice LOLOL)

I myself disapprove of Obama's record as I think he's too socially and fiscally conservative on the issues but I will vote for him over any R candidate as he's the lesser of two evils compared to what Republicans want to do.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 11:25:34 PM »

Maybe she meant to say decades.

Jackie Robinson's account of the 1964 Republican National Convention is pretty fascinating to read.
lowtech redneck
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 11:36:08 PM »

I understand your point with reference to Obama but my point was that's how they vote in every election at the state/federal levels.

And my broader point is that the black portion of the electorate, generally speaking, are opposed to the Republicans as an 'identity' issue, just like the Southern 'yellow-dog Democrats' of old, even long after the Dixiecrat faction lost their power.  There is, of course, also the fact that they tend to be far more 'liberal' on most issues than other segments of the population (with the exception of a few social issues wherein the representatives they vote for actually tend to disagree with them).
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 11:50:09 PM »

And my broader point is that the black portion of the electorate, generally speaking, are opposed to the Republicans as an 'identity' issue, just like the Southern 'yellow-dog Democrats' of old, even long after the Dixiecrat faction lost their power.  There is, of course, also the fact that they tend to be far more 'liberal' on most issues than other segments of the population (with the exception of a few social issues wherein the representatives they vote for actually tend to disagree with them).

I understand what you're saying but I do think most minorities (ethnic, religious, etc) do have good reasons for voting the way they do. Because of the policies and rhetoric they're espousing, the Republican base is dwindling down to an already shrinking demographic: white Christians (heavily lean towards male as well). They're going to have to do some restructuring soon if they want to win elections amongst the younger and future generations.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 11:51:19 PM »

Republicans ended slavery, Republicans pushed for civil rights (although Democratic presidents signed the bills)...give credit where it's due.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 12:23:54 AM »

Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out that African Americans (those that could vote) were almost monolithically Republican for 75 years after the Civil War.  It emphasizes just how much the Party of Lincoln has failed to meet the standards of its founders.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 01:27:47 AM »

Remember when Bush talked about the great enduring friendship between the US and Japan for the last 150 years? I wonder who he thinks his daddy was fighting.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 09:01:03 AM »

Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out that African Americans (those that could vote) were almost monolithically Republican for 75 years after the Civil War.  It emphasizes just how much the Party of Lincoln has failed to meet the standards of its founders.

Sadly, yes.  The Republicans had Lincoln and got the African Americans to vote (The ones who didn't vote D out of intimidation), had a progressive Teddy Roosevelt, and once believed in non-interventionism.  Of course, the party enjoys moving backwards as time goes on. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 11:18:21 AM »

1964 was truly a disastrous election for the Pubbies wasn't it?  I remember shouting the F word when Goldwater came out against the Civil Rights Act. Even back then, putting aside his insensitivity to just how truly cruel and personally cutting it is to be treated and reminded each and every hour of the day that you are a second class citizen, I knew the Pubs had just got themselves on the wrong side of history.   And I opposed Goldwater for POTUS - for that and other reasons.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 04:04:32 PM »

Sadly, yes.  The Republicans had Lincoln and got the African Americans to vote (The ones who didn't vote D out of intimidation), had a progressive Teddy Roosevelt, and once believed in non-interventionism.  Of course, the party enjoys moving backwards as time goes on. 

not at the same time, of course.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 04:07:23 PM »

There's no debate now.  Saying that the Republican party wasn't "particularly black friendly over the many centuries" implies that the democrats weren't the controlling party in the South.  Her implication is somewhat fair in comparison with the democratic party of recent, but "centuries" is a stretch.

Centuries a stretch? The GOP hasn't even been around that long.

Anyway, not surprised to see Sexist Keystone Phil pouncing on an opportunity to show how stupid women are. Roll Eyes
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 04:24:56 PM »

Emancipation led to unemployment?  Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 11:45:37 PM »

Anyway, not surprised to see Sexist Keystone Phil pouncing on an opportunity to show how stupid women are. Roll Eyes

No, just this one loud mouth dope in particular.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies