Guns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:37:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Guns
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Guns  (Read 9324 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2004, 07:41:34 AM »

I think you could carry them anywhere you want, but you should have them locked up when they're not in use. Gun control is fascist. See, I'm a maverick.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 08:55:30 AM »

I think you could carry them anywhere you want, but you should have them locked up when they're not in use. Gun control is fascist. See, I'm a maverick.
Do you lock your knives up when they're not in use?  Come now.  Teach your kids responsibility.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 09:17:54 AM »

i tend to think gun=worse then knife, becuase it has only one purpose-to shoot Tongue
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 09:25:13 AM »

i tend to think gun=worse then knife, becuase it has only one purpose-to shoot Tongue
And knives.. to CUT, slice, and dice.  What is your point?  Guns can shoot at a tree, and knives can be used to slice some bread.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 10:36:36 AM »

Handguns - people should be allowed to keep concealed on their person.

Rifles - proper storage, license to carry(main use for carrying is hunting anyways, so a hunting license would be sufficient).

Automatic Weapons - people should be allowed to have, but not allowed to carry in public. Switzerland gives them out to people, plus 72 rounds, which must be kept sealed up except in military emergencies. Good system.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 11:07:32 AM »

People have a right to keep concealed on their person.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
No.  A license implies the government pardoning you and giving you a right to do something unlawful.  It is similar to a letter of marque on sea, except on sea you are governed by Admiralty Law, not Common Law.

Why not carry in public?  If the man has committed no crime, why are you infringing on his rights?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 01:34:55 PM »

Automatic Weapons - people should be allowed to have, but not allowed to carry in public. Switzerland gives them out to people, plus 72 rounds, which must be kept sealed up except in military emergencies. Good system.

"Gives them out" gives the wrong impression... "Forcing people to have them because the Swiss Government is too Goddamned miserly to bother with a proper Army" would be more accurate.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 01:36:46 PM »

People have a right to keep concealed on their person.

No.  A license implies the government pardoning you and giving you a right to do something unlawful.  It is similar to a letter of marque on sea, except on sea you are governed by Admiralty Law, not Common Law.

Why not carry in public?  If the man has committed no crime, why are you infringing on his rights?

1. I meant people have the right to carry. Pardon me if my language doesn't satisfy you. Handguns are the most practical weapons for self-protection in most cases outside of military situations.

2, 3. I only say those things because a guy walking down a city sidewalk with a rifle or machine gun is likely to cause a panic - try it and see what happens. I believe people have the rights to these arms, but rights do come with responsibilities - you must use common sense with these things. Lack of a license to carry a rifle, or a hunting license in this case, does not say they can't have the rifle within their own homes for self-protection. Machine guns have little practical use outside of military, or extreme law enforcement, situations, so I see no reason to risk a panic by having people carrying them out in the open - if they can be concealed that may be another story. Once again, people have the right to have these weapons, but they must be used in a responsible manner.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 01:38:59 PM »

"Gives them out" gives the wrong impression... "Forcing people to have them because the Swiss Government is too Goddamned miserly to bother with a proper Army" would be more accurate.

The system seems to work pretty damn well - when is the last time someone invaded them?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 01:44:49 PM »

The system seems to work pretty damn well - when is the last time someone invaded them?

Napoleon IIRC... but the main reason for that is all those banks. Most agressive world leaders like to have Swiss bank accounts etc. etc.

"Neutrality"=Bribery. Works well but is extremely immoral.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 01:56:36 PM »

Napoleon IIRC... but the main reason for that is all those banks. Most agressive world leaders like to have Swiss bank accounts etc. etc.

"Neutrality"=Bribery. Works well but is extremely immoral.

Yeah, Napoleon, read about that - 1,400 bowmen against 44,000 armed French, and they fought to the last man, refusing to surrender. Imagine if the Swiss forces had been armed comparably to how they are today, with every battle worthy man having a weapon.

And, I ask you, why did Hitler, a conquering madman, not attack the Swiss? It's actually true they had plans for it - but they knew they couldn't do it until after conquering the rest of Europe, as the country would provide a lot of trouble.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 02:01:05 PM »

And, I ask you, why did Hitler, a conquering madman, not attack the Swiss? It's actually true they had plans for it - but they knew they couldn't do it until after conquering the rest of Europe, as the country would provide a lot of trouble.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 02:59:20 PM »

Rifles - proper storage, license to carry(main use for carrying is hunting anyways, so a hunting license would be sufficient).

My beliefs exactly.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 05:48:03 PM »

John Dibble sums up my beliefs on this issue perfectly.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 06:05:56 PM »

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That is why they wanted to do it, to get at the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ were there.
danwxman

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 07:31:13 PM »

Guns are tools of the weak. That being said, I still believe in the second amendment.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 10:04:14 PM »

Guns are tools of the weak. That being said, I still believe in the second amendment.
Not everyone can stand up and run away like politicians sometimes recommend.  What about people in wheelchairs?
danwxman

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004, 10:53:35 PM »

Not everyone can stand up and run away like politicians sometimes recommend.  What about people in wheelchairs?

Wanna make out?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2004, 11:00:37 PM »

Well, guns are indeed tools. Like all tools they can be used for good or evil purposes. There are many kinds of weakness as well - physical, moral, mental, ect. The physically weak may use these tools to equalize things against a physically strong person of weak character who means them harm. But, being an equalizer, a weak person of body and mind can use it to oppress the physically strong - so the strong may need to use them as well.

Of course, guns wouldn't be necessary in today's society, except maybe for putting down a rabid dog or something running about, if there were no evil people. Since there are evil people in the world, we just have to live with it.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2004, 12:39:49 AM »

I agree with John D too.

As for storage, I don't want government telling me how to store my guns.  I prefer education to legislation. Guns are not forgiving. You don't get to make mistakes. So I advise my gun owning friends to take a gun safety class. Also if you keep a handgun for home defense there are metal storage boxes with pushbutton locks that allow you to get to the gun in two seconds, but keep kids out. As for other guns, if you don't need fast access to them the best bet is a steel gun safe. They keep your kids safe from the guns and the guns safe from thieves.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2004, 01:08:09 AM »

Man, that Dibble is a smart guy Smiley  He's got the right idea.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2004, 01:11:49 AM »

No they're not.  They're very useful if you know how to use them properly.
W in 2004
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2004, 01:31:54 PM »

Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage.     
Tory

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2004, 02:32:02 PM »

Handguns should be outlawed. There is no real purpose for them.

I don't think that rifles or shotguns should be regulated. You can protect yourself in your home with a rifle.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2004, 03:44:30 PM »

Handguns should be outlawed. There is no real purpose for them.
Sporting.  Self defense.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies