Poignant Onion Article Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:03:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Poignant Onion Article Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Poignant Onion Article Discussion Thread  (Read 3099 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: October 07, 2011, 11:35:13 PM »

This kind of thing is a big part of the Jobs/Apple legacy:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/30/apple-chinese-workers-treated-inhumanely

So not exactly tearing up over here, sorry. That's not to say I'm personally glad he died or anything but the glowing obituaries are rather ridiculous.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 06:21:36 AM »

I know that this is one of those areas where no one will change their minds so I was not inclined to even try.

Sure, being really upset about the death of someone you never met is a bit silly to me. But people who look down on people who drive progress are also quite silly. I own no Apple products and I am not much for tech stuff. But it is really condescending to sit around and decide that someone who obviously brought a lot of value to a lot of people was useless.

It might be a harsh reality for Opebo et al on here but Steve Jobs was more useful, appreciated and valuable for humanity than anyone who is a member here.

I don't think people are arguing that he was "useless". I think some people are arguing that he wasn't a very good person and I would be inclined to agree with those arguments.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 06:31:01 AM »

And I can understand being upset over the death of someone you don't know personally. I can understand being upset over the death of someone who put his life on the line for meaningful social change (like MLK Jr.) or someone who bore part of his soul in his work (like John Lennon). Hell, I can even understand being a bit upset over the death of of a young, talented actor like Ledger. But being in tears over the death a reclusive electronics salesmen??? In what way did he really move regular people who don't work in that field? I don't understand that at all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies