Which state is most economically right-wing?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:44:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which state is most economically right-wing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which state is most economically right-wing?
Wyoming

Idaho

Utah

Alabama

Texas

New Hampshire

Other (write in)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Which state is most economically right-wing?  (Read 2187 times)
Nichlemn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:47:15 PM »

Well? (Consider the median voter).
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:01:33 AM »

Tough call between Wyoming and Texas, but I went with Wyoming.  Utah is more socon and Alabama even had an industrial union prescence.
Wonkish1

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 12:36:03 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2011, 12:39:01 AM by Wonkish1 »

Based on voter...crap I picked the wrong one then. I went off of policy which isn't on that list above.

It is a tough call between Texas and Wyoming. I'd probably say Texas actually.
Wonkish1

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 12:40:37 AM »

Based on voter...crap I picked the wrong one then. I went off of policy which isn't on that list above.

What is now the most fiscally conservative policy state in the country?    Indiana!  What will be the most fiscally conservative state in the union, Indiana! What will be the center of conservatism in 20 years, Indiana!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 12:50:58 AM »

Wyoming.
I'm not sure TX and NH are even in the top ten.
Wonkish1

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 12:54:43 AM »

Actually, I thought about it some more.

South Carolina. Not even close. So my original answer of other is correct.
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 08:16:39 AM »

Definitively Oklahoma.
Wonkish1

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 08:24:47 AM »

How so?
Lucius Quintus Cincinatus Lamar
amcculloum
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: 4.00

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 09:43:32 AM »

I initially said Alabama, but then did some research.  Of the options listed, NH had the lowest percentage of combined taxes (Alaska was the only state lower).  NH has the reputation of the most Libertarian state in the US, so it would not surprise me if they are the most economically right-wing. 
Wonkish1

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 09:49:16 AM »

I initially said Alabama, but then did some research.  Of the options listed, NH had the lowest percentage of combined taxes (Alaska was the only state lower).  NH has the reputation of the most Libertarian state in the US, so it would not surprise me if they are the most economically right-wing. 

Tax rates are not the only issue in whether or not a state is fiscally conservative. And this question is about the average republican voter not the policy that is in place in a state.
amcculloum
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 11:09:52 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2011, 11:14:41 AM by Lucius Quintus Cincinatus Lamar »

I initially said Alabama, but then did some research.  Of the options listed, NH had the lowest percentage of combined taxes (Alaska was the only state lower).  NH has the reputation of the most Libertarian state in the US, so it would not surprise me if they are the most economically right-wing.  

Tax rates are not the only issue in whether or not a state is fiscally conservative. And this question is about the average republican voter not the policy that is in place in a state.

It may not just be tax rates, but if fiscally conservative equals low taxes/spending, then I think it is a fairly good metric.  I did see (at least in 2007) Texas spent the lowest per capita of any state, but is currently running a $10 billion deficit, which I'm not sure is a characteristic of a fiscal conservative.

Also, I guess I didn't understand from the question posed that the inquiry was limited to the republican voters of the state.  However, since both TX and NH state legislatures are overwhelmingly Republican, to the extent those legislators accurately reflect the will of the Republican voters, I would say either NH or possibly TX would be my choice.
Wonkish1

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 11:53:03 AM »

I initially said Alabama, but then did some research.  Of the options listed, NH had the lowest percentage of combined taxes (Alaska was the only state lower).  NH has the reputation of the most Libertarian state in the US, so it would not surprise me if they are the most economically right-wing.  

It may not just be tax rates, but if fiscally conservative equals low taxes/spending, then I think it is a fairly good metric.  I did see (at least in 2007) Texas spent the lowest per capita of any state, but is currently running a $10 billion deficit, which I'm not sure is a characteristic of a fiscal conservative.

Also, I guess I didn't understand from the question posed that the inquiry was limited to the republican voters of the state.  However, since both TX and NH state legislatures are overwhelmingly Republican, to the extent those legislators accurately reflect the will of the Republican voters, I would say either NH or possibly TX would be my choice.

Well I made the mistake of thinking it was policy instead of voters. We're talking about majority Republican states, but no its not just limited to Republican voters.

But here is one. Indiana just passed statewide education vouchers. How a policy like that isn't becoming law in Texas, Alabama, etc. when they have had GOP legislatures for a while, I have no idea. But statewide education vouchers is very, very good. Plus they actually sold a highway to private investors and Daniels actually laughs that they way overpaid.

You don't see legislation like that in New Hampshire, Texas, etc. Even though I will say Texas is now one of the best legal environments for business in the country. So yeah in terms of legislation its not just tax rates.

But again this is about voters here. And New Hampshire still has a lot of Boston suburb liberals.
amcculloum
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 01:07:20 PM »

But here is one. Indiana just passed statewide education vouchers. How a policy like that isn't becoming law in Texas, Alabama, etc. when they have had GOP legislatures for a while, I have no idea.

I think voucher systems are more popular in areas with a high percentage of white Catholics.  Public schools have historically been the domain of Protestants and Catholic families paid for parochial schools.  In the South, the division has been on race, not religion.  I'm not sure even Alabama's or Mississippi's legislatures from the 1960s were brazen enough to issue vouchers for students to go to white only academies.  Since the percentage of white Catholics (I say white, because TX does have a high number of Hispanic Catholics) has been historically relatively low in those regions, the impetus for voucher programs probably corresponds.

But again this is about voters here. And New Hampshire still has a lot of Boston suburb liberals.

I've never been to New Hampshire, but have been to Boston a number of times.  It has always been my impression that SE New Hampshire (the Boston suburbs) has been, in recent times, the most conservative part of the state.  Rockingham County went Obama by the smallest margin of any NH county, and went R in '00 and '04. 
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 01:48:04 PM »

New Hampshire is definitely the most tax-and-spending averse (seriously, the state dems are probably to the right of most state GOPs, at least locally).

I could see a case being made for Wyoming, but seeing as it has the greatest percentage of government employees as a percent of its population of any state, and is one of the larger recipients of federal money per capita, that's kinda a hard case to make.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 09:54:45 PM »

Tough call between Wyoming and Texas, but I went with Wyoming.  Utah is more socon and Alabama even had an industrial union prescence.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 11:55:53 PM »

Comparing Wyoming to Texas, I'd say Wyoming.  I know New Hampshire has some of the lowest taxes in the US.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 06:25:39 PM »

What is now the most fiscally conservative policy state in the country?    Indiana!  What will be the most fiscally conservative state in the union, Indiana! What will be the center of conservatism in 20 years, Indiana!

Once we get right to work, end the individual and corporate income tax and go to CST/CDT instead of EST/EDT
Wonkish1

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 05:49:44 AM »

Once we get right to work, end the individual and corporate income tax and go to CST/CDT instead of EST/EDT

Historically those things have proven easier than getting vouchers passed statewide. That has eluded every conservative government in the country.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 08:52:52 PM »

Wyoming. Just because there are feds out here doesn't mean anything.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 09:43:09 PM »

Wyoming or Idaho.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies