Romney to make major foreign policy speech any minute now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:42:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney to make major foreign policy speech any minute now
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Romney to make major foreign policy speech any minute now  (Read 2996 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:54:34 AM »

Former Governor Mitt Romney is about to make his first major foreign policy speech of his candidacy for the President of the United States at the Citadel in Charleston, South Carolina.

Anyone going to watch?  I've got CNN on right now to watch it.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 10:47:19 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2011, 10:54:51 AM by Averroës Nix »

Did he give it yet? Any reports?

EDIT: Here are some quotes from Romney's speech from Twitter:

"If you do not want America to be the strongest nation on Earth, I am not your president. You have that president today."

"As President, on Day One....I will reverse President Obama’s massive defense cuts. "

"We always reserve the right to act alone and protect our vital national interests."

Also:

"Romney rolls out eight measures he would implement on his first 100 days in office — growing Navy, determent on Iran, missile defense" - Ashley Parker
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 11:40:59 AM »

"If you do not want America to be the strongest nation on Earth, I am not your president. You have that president today."

What does that even mean?
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 11:52:18 AM »

More from the NYT's politics blog (The Caucus):

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 02:26:53 PM »

Seems like a horrible speech. I don't think I will waste my time listening to it. And it looks like we will have another war when the Republicans get back in power. People should keep that in mind.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 02:32:27 PM »

Addressing a small group of veterans, he called for increasing the Pentagon’s budget — moving non-combat spending to 4 percent of the gross domestic product from 3.8 percent, and growing the active duty personnel ranks by about 100,000.

So I guess not everything is on the table when it comes to spending cuts.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »

I watched the half hour long speech that ran from 11:00-11:30 AM EDT.  It was a decent speech, and predictably he was lambasting the president.  Some of it I agreed with, some of it I questioned.  It was a predictable campaign speech and as was pointed out earlier, nothing much was said.  It didn't do anything to sway my vote one way or the other, which is still very pliable at this point.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 03:25:33 PM »

I watched the half hour long speech that ran from 11:00-11:30 AM EDT.  It was a decent speech, and predictably he was lambasting the president.  Some of it I agreed with, some of it I questioned.  It was a predictable campaign speech and as was pointed out earlier, nothing much was said.  It didn't do anything to sway my vote one way or the other, which is still very pliable at this point.

Romney never says anything...at least anything believable
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 03:30:07 PM »

I watched the half hour long speech that ran from 11:00-11:30 AM EDT.  It was a decent speech, and predictably he was lambasting the president.  Some of it I agreed with, some of it I questioned.  It was a predictable campaign speech and as was pointed out earlier, nothing much was said.  It didn't do anything to sway my vote one way or the other, which is still very pliable at this point.

Romney never says anything...at least anything believable

I saw evidence of that, for the most part, today. He said a few things I agreed with, but the majority of his rhetoric seemed like empty bashing and empty promising.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »

I don't get where this "surrender" nonsense comes from. The Obama administration has (rightfully so) ignored the sovereignty of other nations in order to pick off the perpetrators of terrorist attacks...Not to mention escalating Afghanistan
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 03:47:32 PM »

I don't get where this "surrender" nonsense comes from. The Obama administration has (rightfully so) ignored the sovereignty of other nations in order to pick off the perpetrators of terrorist attacks...Not to mention escalating Afghanistan
I know. Even the troops think its not worth fighting. The "American Empire" is going to collapse under Obama or Romney. We need a military, and defense is important, but I rather see us return to the Republic our founders wanted us to be. Thats another reason to support Ron Paul.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 10:56:16 PM »

What does that even mean?

Something about twirling towards freedom.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 11:15:02 PM »

I wonder if 5th century Roman emperors also gave speeches like this.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 11:27:29 PM »

On foreign policy, I don't see how there's even a question of which party is doing a better job. You have the people who made al-Qaeda the focus of our anti-terrorism efforts and killed Osama Bin Laden. And then you have the folks who instead chose to squander trillions of dollars and thousands of lives in Iraq, a nation that has never been more than a minor nuisance.
danny
Israel

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 03:28:18 AM »

Did he give it yet? Any reports?

EDIT: Here are some quotes from Romney's speech from Twitter:

"As President, on Day One....I will reverse President Obama’s massive defense cuts. "

"We always reserve the right to act alone and protect our vital national interests."

I'm don't know what Romney is referring to, the defence budget has gone up since Obama took office.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 03:42:06 AM »

It seems to be a mix of baseless platitudes and inaccurate statements.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 03:47:39 AM »

A frankly terrifying and stupid speech all around. These sort of proposals alone from Romney makes me feel suddenly far more enthusiastic about re-electing Obama.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 04:28:56 AM »

Is Romney trying to hawk? Sorry I'm crossfaded right now, not really in ability to comprehend things.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 04:46:50 AM »

A frankly terrifying and stupid speech all around. These sort of proposals alone from Romney makes me feel suddenly far more enthusiastic about re-electing Obama.

I know what you mean, the speech overall made me think, if only for the time being, that who we have isn't that bad.  I'm not going to make my mind up on just one speech, but this is a step toward solidifying my vote for President Obama.  Again, it's not all the way there, but it did help.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 05:12:26 AM »

Here is this week's Mitt Romney - National Security Romney
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 07:26:23 AM »

While I disagreed with basically everything Romney said, I do admire his strategy: totally ignore every other Republican in the field, stay focused on Obama and just look and act presidential. Its a "field of dreams" campaign: if you build it (a presidential appearance), they will come.

Not sure if I will vote for him if though, if this is the kind of foreign policy he is going to pursue.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 10:17:05 AM »

Pedestrian. Obama's foreign policy isn't all that different from Pubbie policy really, when you cut out all the rhetoric, and start getting practical about the real constraints out there. But of course, the game is to manufacture disagreement.

And what is this obsession about boats? I am a drone kind of guy myself. More drones! Beyond flat tops, boats seem to be more of an nostalgia thing than anything else. The last really big boat battle was Jutland in WW I.  And then we had a brief skirmish at Leyte Gulf early in WW II, and after that, it has been flattops all the way.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 10:19:07 AM »

Don't worry, I'm sure Romney will flip flop away from boats in the not so distant future.. Wink
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 10:20:16 AM »

I'm don't know what Romney is referring to, the defence budget has gone up since Obama took office.

It's a lot easier to reverse Obama's policies if they're not actually Obama's policies.

The more I think about this, the more annoyed I become. I wonder if Paul or any other candidates will make an issue of Romney's (apparently) interventionist, unilateralist, non-fact based foreign policy.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 01:04:27 PM »

Don't worry, I'm sure Romney will flip flop away from boats in the not so distant future.. Wink

Wouldn't suprise me.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies