Did Reid just effectively kill of the filibuster when the chips are really down?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:12:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Did Reid just effectively kill of the filibuster when the chips are really down?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Did Reid just effectively kill of the filibuster when the chips are really down?  (Read 1749 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 07:36:02 PM »

Yes, in fact it had 54 votes in June of 2008 in the 51D-49R senate.  There were 9 Republican votes for cloture, including John McCain.  Had Reid abolished the filibuster at the opening of the session in Jan 2009 and brought Cap and Trade to a vote while Obama still had 60% approval, it almost surely would have passed.  

What's certain is that the public option and medicare buy-in had 51 on the record.  There would also have been little incentive to renew the Bush tax cuts if Republican votes weren't needed to move DADT repeal (although they would still need 67 for START because that rule is in the Constitution).

Interesting. McCain would have almost certainly flipped to no out of spite, and Minnesota was vacant at the time, which cuts that to 52. They would have had to thread the needle for sure.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 11:10:59 PM »

Yes, in fact it had 54 votes in June of 2008 in the 51D-49R senate.  There were 9 Republican votes for cloture, including John McCain.  Had Reid abolished the filibuster at the opening of the session in Jan 2009 and brought Cap and Trade to a vote while Obama still had 60% approval, it almost surely would have passed.  

What's certain is that the public option and medicare buy-in had 51 on the record.  There would also have been little incentive to renew the Bush tax cuts if Republican votes weren't needed to move DADT repeal (although they would still need 67 for START because that rule is in the Constitution).

Interesting. McCain would have almost certainly flipped to no out of spite, and Minnesota was vacant at the time, which cuts that to 52. They would have had to thread the needle for sure.

They could lose 11 Dems and do it with Snowe, Collins, and Specter!  I'd be shocked if it couldn't get passed, provided they did it before having a breakdown over HCR.  Just bring up the Lieberman bill from 2008 verbatim.   

On another note, I wonder what Scott Brown does if HCR repeal or defunding is up on a 51 vote rule in 2013?  He has got to be dreading 2018 with a Republican president.  There is a MA governor's race that year he could look into, especially if he would want to run for president himself in 2020.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 11:18:16 PM »

They could lose 11 Dems and do it with Snowe, Collins, and Specter!  I'd be shocked if it couldn't get passed, provided they did it before having a breakdown over HCR.  Just bring up the Lieberman bill from 2008 verbatim.   

On another note, I wonder what Scott Brown does if HCR repeal or defunding is up on a 51 vote rule in 2013?  He has got to be dreading 2018 with a Republican president.  There is a MA governor's race that year he could look into, especially if he would want to run for president himself in 2020.

I don't think it matters. When he's up during a Republican administration he will get Chafeed.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 12:05:09 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2011, 12:12:46 AM by Skill and Chance »

Yes, in fact it had 54 votes in June of 2008 in the 51D-49R senate.  There were 9 Republican votes for cloture, including John McCain.  Had Reid abolished the filibuster at the opening of the session in Jan 2009 and brought Cap and Trade to a vote while Obama still had 60% approval, it almost surely would have passed. 

I don't think it matters. When he's up during a Republican administration he will get Chafeed.

Yeah, the only way he's getting a new term with a GOP president is if it's a re-election year and that president wins like Reagan or Eisenhower.  It's especially hopeless if it's a midterm year, like 2018 will be.   Similarly, Pryor and Landrieu are likely praying for total GOP control in 2014.

Edit: Well, he could get lucky early on: 2012: Obama loses in a landslide, 2018: Democratic president, 2024: Republican wave after 2 term Democratic president.  After that point, he would be set for life as long as he wants it IMO.  Not to mention MA is probably moving right long term.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 08:02:09 AM »

If America provides "fascists" a majority, then they should govern as they see fit within boundaries set by the Supreme Court's interpretation of the Constitution. Simple as that.

As much as it pains me to say so.. Absolutely.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 11:56:42 AM »

I like how people refer to either of the two parties, at different times, as "the majority" as if either of them were anything but political tools of an elite minority of Americans.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies