Any examples of the following in Atlasian election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:59:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Any examples of the following in Atlasian election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any examples of the following in Atlasian election?  (Read 1296 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2011, 09:05:28 PM »

Wave election: one party sweeps in more races than they theoretically should or wins most competitive elections
Coattails: Weaker candidate wins downballot race because of Presidential performance
Single issue election: races defined and won due to a single issue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 09:31:56 PM »

Wave/winning more races than they arguably should have: https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/April_2009_Senate_Election

The Democratic Alliance somehow managed to capture three of the five at-large seats, despite being a relatively minor centrist party at the time. (And really, they always were the third party, but they managed to get enough non-priority support from both sides as the lesser of two evils to get more of them in office than they should've.)

Coattails: https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/October_2010_Senate_Election#Northeast_Region_Results

Eraserhead winning the NE Senate race was a complete shock to all of us at the time in the JCP. None expected him to win, but the Presidential race was extremely competitive, and the Populares were starting to take the region for granted. With as much effort to increase turnout on the national level, it ended up redounding to Eraserhead's benefit.

One issue election: https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/February_2011_Presidential_Election

This wasn't exactly a one-issue election in the way you define it, but there was one particular issue that kept coming up over and over again throughout the campaign, and all three tickets were oddly pretty much on the same page. The powers of the Game Moderator and giving the SoIA and SoEA GM powers of their own. Every campaign basically promised some variation of spreading out GM responsibilities in some way or another.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 09:33:19 PM »

And I'm sure there are plenty of other examples that I just can't think of/am too young to remember.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 09:46:02 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2011, 09:48:19 PM by Wolf Haley »

Excellent examples. I'm curious what may have caused the April 2009 landslide. Even the JCP only managed to get two seats in the recent at large election.

Edit: it looks like that October Mideast race was also a one vote victory. Very cool. That region appears to be off limits for any left wing candidates today.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 10:11:20 PM »

Excellent examples. I'm curious what may have caused the April 2009 landslide. Even the JCP only managed to get two seats in the recent at large election.

Edit: it looks like that October Mideast race was also a one vote victory. Very cool. That region appears to be off limits for any left wing candidates today.

In April 2009 it was very shortly before the JCP became the large force that it is today. I was leading the SDP at the time, and after the loss of Lief in the At-large election and the victory of so many centrist candidates, I just decided to encourage everyone to join the JCP. With a ton of news recruits and an enlarged pool of voters, the JCP became the strongest party and that hasn't changed since.

The RPP was also weakening severely at that point. The Senate composition immediately prior to that election had five RPP Senators. It was their peak. Poor leadership and factioning off to the Democratic Alliance crippled them and they never really recovered since.

They briefly changed their name, too. They became the "Progressive Conservative Party" for a few months. Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 10:20:05 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2011, 10:22:25 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Ah, Marokai, the name change occured in October 2009, in that never to be forgotten 60 page Convention thread. Tongue Hardly to be connected with the events in April.

Two of those five seats were the results of personal votes for Smid and Jedi that weren't likely to be maintained. Especially once Smid retired in the NE. The RPP hasn't even come close since Jedi left in the Midwest.  

Throughout the period, the RPP made many missteps as DWTL got sidetracked by personal vendettas against people like Afleitch, Al, HappyWarrior, and even Marokai Blue I beleive. Wink
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 10:22:46 PM »

When I ran for president, my name was sort of the "none of the above" to the only other candidate. I've also received voted in Senate elections for Regional seats in Regions where I did not live, but lots of people have done that. There's been ties before on the regional level.

(WRT election records)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »

Throughout the period, the RPP made many missteps as DWTL got sidetracked by personal vendettas against people like Afleitch, Al, HappyWarrior, and even Marokai Blue I beleive. Wink

He loved me at first, until I decided to join the JCP. Tongue

If it wasn't for him going insane and disappearing from Atlasia for awhile, I wouldn't have gotten elected when I did!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 06:31:01 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2011, 06:32:33 AM by Michael A. Naso, Jr.'s BDSM »

Speaking of regional election: February 2010 in Northeast. Populares basically won everything: Senator, Governor, Lieutenant Governor, countless Assembly seats.

I think no one would disagree RPP is thousands of times better off without that retard.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 10:36:56 AM »

It's amazing how the RPP was able to do so much with so little back then. Times have certainly changed now. We had 5 seats at one point with like 20-25 members.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »

It's amazing how the RPP was able to do so much with so little back then. Times have certainly changed now. We had 5 seats at one point with like 20-25 members.

... and now we have about 40 members and can hardly get more than 3 Senators elected. THIS MUST CHANGE!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 10:51:37 AM »

... and now we have about 40 members and can hardly get more than 3 Senators elected. THIS MUST CHANGE!

Keep in mind this is the second time we have hit 40 since then. Tongue We visited 20 once again in between.

Three is been a hard cap for some time.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 01:09:25 PM »

Times were certainly different. There was much more enthusiasm for the game back then. Hell, nowadays Snowguy and I can't even get one person to ask us a damn question in the current Presidential campaign.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 01:13:50 PM »

Times were certainly different. There was much more enthusiasm for the game back then. Hell, nowadays Snowguy and I can't even get one person to ask us a damn question in the current Presidential campaign.

What's your girlfriend name?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 01:24:58 PM »

Stay away from her, Kal. Tongue

If you all vote for me, she will be our first lady! But really, you can find that out if you try hard enough. Wink

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 03:03:52 PM »

I don't have U.S. visa, so you don't have to be alarmed by innocent question.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 03:07:18 PM »

But she's european! She'll be back on your side of the pond for her breaks! Surprise
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »

Kal what caused the Northeast "wave"?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 03:09:45 PM »

But she's european! She'll be back on your side of the pond for her breaks! Surprise

I'm too busy posting here/studying and working to even think of any woman, European or not Sad
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 03:11:17 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2011, 03:14:51 PM by Michael A. Naso, Jr.'s BDSM »

Kal what caused the Northeast "wave"?

The one I mentioned? Kyle Mercado and his multiple sock account, which swung many of these elections (without socks, Barnes would be Senator, for sure; I don't remember gubernatorial margin).

Oh yes, I was one of the victims of this wave, losing Lt. Gubernatorial race. Embarrassing thing is, that I lost, outside of Libertas, who at least was real, to one of Hammy socks.

I'm not saying Populares weren't strong, but socks gave them deciding advantage. Of course people like Dallas or Winston had no knowledge of that.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 06:25:52 PM »

I thought that was a gag order on using that name in public, Kal? Tongue

The NE was a center and left region for ages, dominated by the NLC and then the DA during my first year, with the JCP holding a somewhat respectable position, as well. Then, Hamilton decided the Pacific was too tough a nut to crack and took up residence in North country. His "hill of sand" machine lasted about eight months, with a few hangers on from it remaining behind.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies