Official Discussion Thread for Tonight's GOP Presidential Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:52:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Official Discussion Thread for Tonight's GOP Presidential Debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
Author Topic: Official Discussion Thread for Tonight's GOP Presidential Debate  (Read 30860 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: October 11, 2011, 09:31:44 PM »

They just "fact checked" the 999 plan, and said it comes up with "only" 2 Trillion. only 200 Billion less than current revenue? that's a lot closer to target than I thought.

I'm almost positive that I read a much more comprehensive analysis somewhere that estimated his plan would raise only about half of the revenue we currently do, as well as the fact that our projected revenue for the 2012 budget was 2.6 trillion, not 2.2 trillion. Which would make even that generous analysis quite far off what is already far too little revenue to cover our expenditures already anyway.
M

« Reply #476 on: October 11, 2011, 09:32:07 PM »

They just "fact checked" the 999 plan, and said it comes up with "only" 2 Trillion. only 200 Billion less than current revenue? that's a lot closer to target than I thought.

The "fact checking" on that was some of the laziest reporting I have ever seen.

Better than the Romney "fact-checking", which just quoted the CBO.
Wonkish1

« Reply #477 on: October 11, 2011, 09:35:31 PM »

The "fact checking" on that was some of the laziest reporting I have ever seen.

No $hit. It was particularly bad that they used the original CBO scoring for ObamaCare that was jam packed full of accounting gimmicks and cuts that they just reversed in a subsequent bill. Now every single cost scoring of Obamacare has it well beyond $1 trillion over the next 10 years and rising fast.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #478 on: October 11, 2011, 09:35:42 PM »

CNN says it brings in $1.768T.

Cain needs to show how his plan actually adds up instead of just saying his secret group of economists say so so we should trust them. And the one economist that Cain says analyzed his plan is actually not an economist, but a "wealth manager" for Wells Fargo.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #479 on: October 11, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »

So I'm predicting Romney being the nominee and him winning the General 300-238 as a bold prediction.

We'll see how silly this looks in due time.
Wonkish1

« Reply #480 on: October 11, 2011, 09:45:09 PM »

Nah, $2 trillion territory sounds about right. But just think about that once.

The average middle class family pays an effective income tax rate in the teens, plus another 13% in payroll(employer and employee side is truly paid for by the employee), plus 15% capital gains(soon to be 20%), plus 35% top corporate tax rate, plus duties/fees/misc/etc.

And you lower the tax rates to 9, 9, 9 and you get pretty much the same revenue. That should annoy some Dems on here. And the sales tax increase is netted out against a fall in payroll and income taxes so barely anybody could possibly experience any sizeable increase in their tax burden.

But as all the GOP candidates said and I've said for a long time, if you give congress another tax rate to mess with they'll make you regret it.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #481 on: October 11, 2011, 09:50:15 PM »

So I'm predicting Romney being the nominee and him winning the General 300-238 as a bold prediction.

We'll see how silly this looks in due time.

I agree with you on both accounts, though we'll see on the 300 ev. My prediction is that it will be lower, barring an economic collapse then Obama's in 2008, but higher than Bush's in 2004.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #482 on: October 11, 2011, 09:53:54 PM »

First to last, with grade...
Romney-A-Good performance, was on his game, beat back attacks. Sounded like the front runner.

Paul-A-Still my favorite, and he derailed the Cain train tonight. He shined on the FED issue, and will experiance a minor poll bump.

Huntsman-A-Another good one. Was funny, and performed well. He obivously has enough experiance for any cabinet position availible.

Gingrich-B-Another good debate, but he did not get alot of questions, and really echoed everyone else.

Perry-B-Best debate so far,  but was boring, and could not break through Romney. He is finished, and is now going to be the Rudy of 2012.

Bachmann-B-The annoying cackle killed me, and she didnt bring anything new, but she over all performed better, sounded more serious, and still has a shot at rebouding in the polls.

Cain-B-He performed well, but the Cain train is going to end. He got angry when challenged, and came off cocky. His 999 plan is absolute bull s**t. But, he has a shot, is a strong debator overall, and performed well enough to earn a B.

Santorum-F-F does not only stand for Frothy, he has to whine for attention, and always brings a way to pick a fight with someone else, or blame "teh gayez." He cannot do any worse at this point, and needs to drop out and go back to the Senate.

Overall, best debate so far. Everyone was on their game. I hope Bloomberg does it again Smiley

xavier110
United States
« Reply #483 on: October 11, 2011, 11:19:19 PM »

Everyone in the audience I spoke to thought Cain won. LOL. I totally thought Cain won!?

ANYWAY, Michele Bachmann is the nicest of them all..actually, so sweet. Walking around campus, she's so accommodating. Huntsman is definitely the most interesting candidate in a one-on-one setting.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #484 on: October 11, 2011, 11:30:12 PM »

I feel bad that I missed this.  The roundtable format sounded like a lot of fun.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #485 on: October 12, 2011, 12:47:54 AM »

Is there an internet link where I can watch it online? I unfortunately missed it when it was live.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #486 on: October 12, 2011, 01:34:14 AM »

So, what did happen in this debate ?

Can anyone give me a short summary ?

Don't want to read 30+ pages ... Tongue
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #487 on: October 12, 2011, 01:41:46 AM »

Nothing happened that wasn't going to happen anyway.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #488 on: October 12, 2011, 01:42:42 AM »

Nothing happened that wasn't going to happen anyway.

OK, so who won ?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #489 on: October 12, 2011, 03:34:58 AM »

Is there an internet link where I can watch it online? I unfortunately missed it when it was live.

It's all on Youtube.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #490 on: October 12, 2011, 05:00:29 AM »

Ron Paul to Herman Cain at Bloomberg Debate: "Spoken Like a True Insider! Greenspan was a DISASTER"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTEERUGKZuM

Give 'em hell, Ron.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #491 on: October 12, 2011, 06:52:47 AM »

Paul owned Cain on the Federal Reserve.
Cain's 9-9-9 plan is atrocious and many people will see that unfold in the coming weeks. That's his whole campaign. Sales tax and income tax... yuck.
Romney is obsessed with China. He also admitted to favoring bailing out the banks, but he tried to spin it like a frisbee.
Santorum is probably the one person who sounds like a douche if he simply said the word 'hi.'
Newt looked liked Paul's buddy/ sidekick (has anyone else noticed this).
Bachmann and Romney clearly have a deal together.
Perry looked lost and confused.
Huntsman can't stop telling people that he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.
Wonkish1

« Reply #492 on: October 12, 2011, 07:07:36 AM »

Cain's 9-9-9 plan is atrocious and many people will see that unfold in the coming weeks. That's his whole campaign. Sales tax and income tax... yuck.
Romney is obsessed with China. He also admitted to favoring bailing out the banks, but he tried to spin it like a frisbee.
Santorum is probably the one person who sounds like a douche if he simply said the word 'hi.'
Huntsman can't stop telling people that he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

Newt has been a price stability focused monetarist(Hawk) for a long time. Libertarians aren't the only ones that have focused on this issue. A lot of conservatives including myself have really honed in on the Fed.

The first elected leader I remember publicly attacking the Fed's response to the crisis wasn't Ron Paul. It was Norm Coleman in mid 2008 well before Lehman, AIG, Freddie, Fannie, etc.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #493 on: October 12, 2011, 09:19:21 AM »

Newt has been a price stability focused monetarist(Hawk) for a long time. Libertarians aren't the only ones that have focused on this issue. A lot of conservatives including myself have really honed in on the Fed.

The first elected leader I remember publicly attacking the Fed's response to the crisis wasn't Ron Paul. It was Norm Coleman in mid 2008 well before Lehman, AIG, Freddie, Fannie, etc.

Ron Paul didn't attack the Fed before 2008? What planet do you live on? I wasn't a Paul supporter then (McCain) and I still knew he did. New was buddy buddy with him during the debate, after the debate (they were talking), and he mentioned Paul later on, when there were a bunch of Paul signs behind him.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #494 on: October 12, 2011, 03:06:44 PM »

First of all, Conservative. Rudy Giuliuani, John McCain, and George Bush are not Conservative, neither is Norm Coleman. They are Neocons, which only has the last part of the name in common. Ron Paul has been on the FED for 30 years now. Gingrich has a record that is to be admired, and he is my 2nd choice behind Paul,  for that. If your a Neoconservative, come out and say it.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #495 on: October 12, 2011, 03:32:11 PM »

That was an epic smackdown.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #496 on: October 12, 2011, 08:57:10 PM »

Oh dear, we are misappropriating the word neo-con, again. Roll Eyes

Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #497 on: October 13, 2011, 03:41:23 AM »

Epistemologically speaking, neoconservativism only exists as a Paradigm in International Relations Theory.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #498 on: October 13, 2011, 07:32:09 AM »

Epistemologically speaking, neoconservativism only exists as a Paradigm in International Relations Theory.
huh? Neoconservatism was an approach to domestic policy before it was an approach to international relations.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #499 on: October 13, 2011, 08:01:14 AM »

huh? Neoconservatism was an approach to domestic policy before it was an approach to international relations.

Not as a serious political systemic theory.

Politics =/= Policies.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies