Britsh or English
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:52:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Britsh or English
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Britsh or English  (Read 3545 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2004, 04:46:24 AM »

Ive been meaning to ask this to you Sassenachs for a while.  Do you posters in England identify more with being English than British?  Is it the cross of St George or the Union Jack.  Where do your loyalties lie?  If there are scots, welsh or ulstermen, I would also like to hear from yeh.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 04:55:57 AM »

I'm part English, part Welsh and I tend to think of myself as Anglo-Welsh. I'm thinking of making my own flag (St George Cross wi' a Red Dragon in the top left corner).
I've never really seen myself as British.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 05:01:29 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2004, 05:08:57 AM by patrick1 »

I'm actually partial to the Manx flag:) What is the deal with them? I ve been doing some genealogical research- Ive found out that I am about 10% english from Lincolnshire and a few percents welsh. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 05:22:09 AM »

I'm actually partial to the Manx flag:) What is the deal with them?

Vikings originally. It's sort of not really part of the U.K but sort of is... mostly it's a Tax Haven though.
Chief Minister resigned a few weeks ago over a seriously crooked property deal.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lincolnshire is a weird place
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 05:55:15 AM »

Scots I've spoken to tend to identify more with being Scottish than British. Similarly the Welsh.
Picture in England is very much different, largely because less than half the population is "pure" English...so many descendants of Scots and Welsh and Irish and Continental immigrants, even among the English speaking White majority. So much mixing, too.
Descendants of post-18th century immigrants are just not likely to identify as English rather than British - something Scottish nationalists find hard to grasp.

Well, the cause of the confusion is actually hard for any nationalist to understand - Nations do not necessarily lie next to each other.
Britain is a nation consisting of Scotland, England etc.
Scotland is a nation too.
It's impossible for both to have their nation state.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 06:18:00 AM »

I saw a study/poll of scots football followers- Apparently Rangers fans identified themselves as British and Dundee, Aberrrdeeen, Inverness types identified with being scots more, Celtic fans saw themselves as hyphenated scots and supported the Republic of Eire.  It was very interesting. I will try to find a link.  Rangers fans for England (the Gazza:), celtic/and some hibbies for Eire and the rest of the SPL in the Tartan army.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 06:20:23 AM »

I saw a study/poll of scots football followers- Apparently Rangers fans identified themselves as British and Dundee, Aberrrdeeen, Inverness types identified with being scots more, Celtic fans saw themselves as hyphenated scots and supported the Republic of Eire.  It was very interesting. I will try to find a link.  Rangers fans for England (the Gazza:), celtic/and some hibbies for Eire and the rest of the SPL in the Tartan army.

I don't remeber the jambos take but I suppose they would be a little more scottish nationalists than their hun counterparts;)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 06:22:14 AM »

Scots I've spoken to tend to identify more with being Scottish than British. Similarly the Welsh.
Picture in England is very much different, largely because less than half the population is "pure" English...so many descendants of Scots and Welsh and Irish and Continental immigrants, even among the English speaking White majority. So much mixing, too.
Descendants of post-18th century immigrants are just not likely to identify as English rather than British - something Scottish nationalists find hard to grasp.

Well, the cause of the confusion is actually hard for any nationalist to understand - Nations do not necessarily lie next to each other.
Britain is a nation consisting of Scotland, England etc.
Scotland is a nation too.
It's impossible for both to have their nation state.

I'm both English and Welsh. Nats hate us damn "race-mixers" :-P
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 06:23:42 AM »

Rangers and to a lesser extent Hearts and to a much lesser extent Dundee are closely tied to Protestant Northern Ireland.
Dundee United's also got Catholic ties.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 06:26:31 AM »

Rangers and to a lesser extent Hearts and to a much lesser extent Dundee are closely tied to Protestant Northern Ireland.

Any non-sectarian teams?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 06:27:27 AM »

Any non-sectarian teams?
All the others, as far as I know.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 06:40:18 AM »

Rangers and Celtic are the heart of sectarianism.  It is that way for a reason though -bunch of micks getting off the boat and taking jobs and the backlash that entails. 
As I see it two working class communities divided by religion that should be united by economics.  James Connolly was born in Scotland afterall.  Hibs and Jam tarts have their sectarian battles but it cannot compare to Glasgow.  There was just not enough Catholicers for it to be a real threat in Edinburgh.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 06:48:37 AM »

Rangers and Celtic are the heart of sectarianism.  It is that way for a reason though -bunch of micks getting off the boat and taking jobs and the backlash that entails. 
As I see it two working class communities divided by religion that should be united by economics.  James Connolly was born in Scotland afterall.  Hibs and Jam tarts have their sectarian battles but it cannot compare to Glasgow.  There was just not enough Catholicers for it to be a real threat in Edinburgh.

Until suprisingly recently the Tories were able to use Sectarianism to keep a foothold in working class areas in Glasgow and Liverpool.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 08:15:30 AM »

I'm not sure if the numbers of Catholic immigrants were that different...but there's one factor you're forgetting, and that's Protestant Irish immigration to West Scotland and Protestant Western Scottish immigration to Northern Ireland. People have always been marrying across and moving back and forth across that channel.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2004, 09:05:40 AM »

I'm 7/8 English, 1/8 Polish. My English roots are all in the locality of Kent and London.

If asked for my nationality, I answer British; I identify with the Union Jack as my national flag.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2004, 07:29:07 PM »

for me being half welsh makes no difference, britain is britain although if it becomes a european "state" to hell with it all
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2004, 12:07:10 AM »

This is probably a really stupid question, but I have to ask it, as I've never been quite clear: what is the difference between Britain and England?
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2004, 12:09:17 AM »

oh my gabu

england is the southern part of te island

while britain is england plus the other countries of the island wales and scotland, while northern ireland is part of britain too
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2004, 12:11:13 AM »

What?  I wasn't born with that knowledge and never learned it. Tongue

Thanks; now I know.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2004, 02:41:36 AM »

What?  I wasn't born with that knowledge and never learned it. Tongue

Thanks; now I know.

Another bit of info-the Union Jack is actually a combination of the Cross of St. George (england), the Saltire of St Andrew (Scotland) and Cross of St Patrick (Ireland- now just the North).  The Welsh dragon gets no play though.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2004, 08:18:18 AM »

oh my gabu

while britain is england plus the other countries of the island wales and scotland, while northern ireland is part of britain too

Technically, Northern Ireland is not a part of Britain. Britain is just the island containing England, Wales and Scotland.

Hence the name of the country in full is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2004, 08:23:38 AM »

oh my gabu

Technically, Northern Ireland is not a part of Britain. Britain is just the island containing England, Wales and Scotland.

Hence the name of the country in full is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Technically the island is Great Britain... there's isn't actually a place called Britain. Ireland is the second largest island in the British Isles, which are all that's left of a NW Peninsular of Europe flooded at the end of the last Ice Age.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2004, 12:57:33 PM »

I'm primarily British but prone to bouts of regional chauvinism (North-East)

Dave
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2004, 05:59:03 PM »

In reply about the Union Jack comments, when do we Welsh get our own part of the flag?
Tory

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2004, 08:27:54 PM »

British

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies