Hillsong
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:29:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Hillsong
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillsong  (Read 1336 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2011, 01:24:39 PM »

OK I'll admit some of their songs aren't really that bad. Not what I'd listen to normally but I do actually like this one for instance (played in my church last week): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08YZF87OBQ

Even though I know they also believe in lots of horrible things I do think I would check one of their services if I was ever in Australia out of curiosity and because 1-It actually does look fun (full of hand raising after all!) and 2-There are tons of hot girls.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 07:11:45 PM »

and to which, pray tell, horrible things are you referring?

BTW, that's an awesome song!  Definitely one of my favorites.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 08:23:05 PM »

Their version of "From the Inside Out" is my favorite of their songs. "Mighty to Save" is probably number two though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 09:41:36 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2011, 09:46:56 PM by A Testament To Broken Walls »

and to which, pray tell, horrible things are you referring?

Anti-gay stuff, prosperity theology, young earth creationism.

BTW, that's an awesome song!  Definitely one of my favorites.

I can't really wrap my mind around us even remotely agreeing on anything musical. So what do you think of this song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXFgUKIFtr0
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 10:20:54 PM »

you mean they believe homosexuality is a sin?!  say it aint so.  you should write them a letter explaining the correct interpretation for the verses in question.  though, you might want to read the versea beforehand.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 07:02:26 PM »

I LOATHE Hillsong... it's a vile, tacky and 'profit-driven' boil.

I have friend who were members and have invited me along... the invite generally elicits and "thanks, but no f***ing way".

Hillsong was one of the biggest beneficiaries of the 'schism' within the Sydney Anglican diocese.

The current Archbishop of Sydney and his brother started to force through a very conservative line within the Church (the importance of women being 'submissive' and other sickening stuff), the Archbishop also had a meltdown because Prince Charles postponed his wedding to attend Pope John Paul II's funeral - he thought it inappropriate of the future Governor of the Church of England...... it forced a fundamental divide ... the liberals went to the Uniting Church and the Baptists (the Baptists aren't insane here), the evangelicals (who wanted the American pizzazz) went to the Megachurches (like Hillsong) leaving the old-school Anglicans with the geriatrics who attend the 8am services and sing 'I Vow to Thee My Country'. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 12:22:14 PM »

I have friend who were members and have invited me along... the invite generally elicits and "thanks, but no f***ing way".

Hillsong was one of the biggest beneficiaries of the 'schism' within the Sydney Anglican diocese.

The current Archbishop of Sydney and his brother started to force through a very conservative line within the Church (the importance of women being 'submissive' and other sickening stuff), the Archbishop also had a meltdown because Prince Charles postponed his wedding to attend Pope John Paul II's funeral - he thought it inappropriate of the future Governor of the Church of England...... it forced a fundamental divide ... the liberals went to the Uniting Church and the Baptists (the Baptists aren't insane here), the evangelicals (who wanted the American pizzazz) went to the Megachurches (like Hillsong) leaving the old-school Anglicans with the geriatrics who attend the 8am services and sing 'I Vow to Thee My Country'. 

Were they the ones who ran 'ex-gay' programmes too?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 05:54:27 PM »

Some of their music is decent, I especially like this song. Not stuff I would want to sing at a church service though.

And yeah I'm not too big on Pentecostal prosperity-promoting mega-churches. Although their prosperity stuff really pales in comparison to what you find in the US. I don't know about their young-earth-creationism, I doubt it's at the forefront of their teachings (not that I would be opposed to it if that were the case).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:40:12 PM »

Some of their music is decent, I especially like this song. Not stuff I would want to sing at a church service though.

So are you a choir and organ type? And not a handraiser I take it.

That song is actually kind of post-rockish. I think I see now where my church's band got the idea...
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 06:58:09 AM »

So are you a choir and organ type? And not a handraiser I take it.

That song is actually kind of post-rockish. I think I see now where my church's band got the idea...

No I'm not a choir and organ type, I really actually don't like organ at all (ironic considering I love Bach).

I like piano, acoustic guitar is fine. We do the piano, violin, some brass instruments at my church. I do prefer hymns (classic or modern), and no I don't raise my hand in the air.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 12:55:04 AM »

Hillsong is kewl with me. They happen to be Assemblies of God. Saw their youth band a couple months ago at a conference with Jesus Culture in Chicago. "The women being submissive thing" is out of a culture of honor and love, not perceived legalism that some may think. I endorse the anti-gay and young-earth creation stuff. As for the prosperity message, I think both extremes have that wrong.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 12:59:22 AM »

Were they the ones who ran 'ex-gay' programmes too?

Not publicly, but I am aware of some high-up members who engage in that particularly abusive practice.

Hillsong is kewl with me. They happen to be Assemblies of God. Saw their youth band a couple months ago at a conference with Jesus Culture in Chicago. "The women being submissive thing" is out of a culture of honor and love, not perceived legalism that some may think. I endorse the anti-gay and young-earth creation stuff. As for the prosperity message, I think both extremes have that wrong.

So... you think that it's out of love and honour for men that women should just do what they're told?

What complete and utter twaddle... how small a man can you be if you need to be obeyed?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 12:29:40 PM »

Honor does not mean blind absolute obedience. If my future spouse comes in the scene and sees something in me that concerns her she is free to bring up the concern and we will talk about it.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 09:24:59 PM »

Has anyone seen their Movie "Let Hope Rise"?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 04:29:43 AM »

Hillsong are total crap run by a weirdo Christian dude from Australia.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies