I've had an epiphany.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:32:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  I've had an epiphany.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I've had an epiphany.  (Read 852 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2011, 04:48:49 PM »

We've seen it as long as we can remember, but especially recently (and in 1995)--the government is dysfunctional. Due to passive Democrats and stubborn Republicans, key issues where we need immediate solutions devolve into eternal gridlock. Once the most prestigious body in the world, Congress is broken.

But it's not just because of the parties. It's about money. No longer do politicians represent their constituents--that's clear. But they now do not even represent their own opinions, merely their futures. Especially with the corrupt courts overturning every safeguard against total control of the parties by wealthy donors, lobbyists, PACs, and politically-minded corporations are inching into power. Now, practically no politicians on either aisle are motivated by what they feel is right, merely what their donors would like to see in order to keep that flow of money, the juice which any campaign needs more than ever.

Therefore, with our leaders representing Wal-Mart and Koch Industries instead of their constituents, it is clear that we are unable to reach real solutions on the issues because those actual solutions may just create a small dent in bigger-than-ever profits for oil companies and the highest Wall Street bonuses in history. We cannot solve a thing until we get all this money out of politics. Therefore, though I still proudly call myself a progressive, it becomes clear that only one major party candidate stands for the real problem facing America today.

For that reason, I will make my presidential endorsement now. You will see it in my signature within the next minute or so.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 04:59:43 PM »

Please let it be Buddy Roemer.

EDIT: Haha.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 05:39:39 PM »

This is you, OP:

Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 05:43:15 PM »

I  counter with this article: "Why is There so Little Money in U.S. Politics?"
Stephen Ansolabehere, John M. de Figueiredo and James M. Snyder Jr.

http://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1257/089533003321164976
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 06:32:28 PM »

I couldn't agree more - our government is broken and doomed. Our evil politicians just aren't evil enough to solve our problems. What we need is some good old honest REAL evil. That's why I endorse...

Cthulhu will solve all our problems... BY EATING THEM! Don't like Congress? Tired of gridlock? President Cthulhu will eat them all at his inauguration, and any stragglers who manage to survive will have been driven mad to the point that they won't know what gridlock is. Tired of corporations and using lobbyists and their money to control the White House? No problem! President Cthulhu will just eat them AND the White House. Worried about Cthulhu not representing his constituents? No problem! Any electorate insane enough to elect an ancient evil god as their leader is clearly giving a mandate saying "eat us great lord, so that our suffering may end", and so he shall. And once their rotting corpses are inhabiting President Cthulhu's might bowels, they won't have any other problems to care about - health care, education, defense spending, and anything else you can think of will be completely irrelevant.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 09:36:53 PM »

He's my second choice. Tongue
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »

Well, someone's not going to be eaten first.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 07:01:15 PM »

But seriously, any other Democrats for Roemer here?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:18:57 AM »

Like most people, I don't know anything about Roemer other than that he's running as a kind of Republican Jerry Brown c. 1992. Having looked up his positions on the issues, I can't imagine a lot of Democrats backing a pro-lifer who supports the Defense Of Marriage Act.

I mean, don't get me wrong, he seems fairly likeable and is quite liberal compared to the other Republicans, but that doesn't mean he's worth supporting.
Rochambeau jk I'm Hamilton
Conservatarian1989
Rookie
United States
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 04:56:46 PM »

cool story bro Tongue
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 12:21:14 AM »

Like most people, I don't know anything about Roemer other than that he's running as a kind of Republican Jerry Brown c. 1992. Having looked up his positions on the issues, I can't imagine a lot of Democrats backing a pro-lifer who supports the Defense Of Marriage Act.

I mean, don't get me wrong, he seems fairly likeable and is quite liberal compared to the other Republicans, but that doesn't mean he's worth supporting.

Yeah, this is pretty much my view of him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies