Why exactly is Nevada getting blamed for this scheduling mess?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:17:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why exactly is Nevada getting blamed for this scheduling mess?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why exactly is Nevada getting blamed for this scheduling mess?  (Read 537 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:32:27 AM »

I'm not usually one to jump to the defense of my somewhat crappy state.  However, I asked this question a few days ago, and I'm still stumped.  It seems I'm not the only one:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

In addition to New Hampshire not minding when Delaware held their caucuses four days later on two occasions, they also haven't minded Iowa holding their caucuses about a week earlier than their primary in every presidential contest for the past forty years.

If Nevada had a primary and not a caucus, this controversy would make sense.  But as it is... Huh
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:40:15 AM »

You're asking multiple questions here, that need to be disentangled.

NH's primary law specifically exempts Iowa from the 7 day window.  However, you're correct that NH SoS Bill Gardner has, in the past, ignored the 7 day window provision of the law, such as in the case of Delaware in 1996.

But the thing is, Gardner's interpretation of the NH primary law isn't based on a principled assessment of "what is a primary?".  His interpretation really depends on "candidate attention":

http://frontloading.blogspot.com/2011/10/on-defining-similar-contest-and.html

In 1996, for example, all of the candidates except Steve Forbes agreed to boycott Delaware in order to respect NH's place on the calendar.  So Gardner then figured it was OK to hold the primary just four days earlier, because the candidates were going to ignore Delaware anyway.

In 2012, Nevada's status as an early caucus state was sanctioned by both of the national parties, and there's a debate being held there.  A few of the candidates (most notably Romney) have already made some campaign stops there.  So NH sees it as more of a threat.

The candidates then go along with a boycott because, I guess, they think NH has historically been more important in primary races, and therefore their primary must be catered to....or something.  (Don't ask for logic in primary politics.  The argument here is entirely circular.  NH is important because the candidates make it important.  Therefore, they have to respect its importance.)

They also want to peddle the story that Romney orchestrated Nevada's move to Jan. 14 (which I'm pretty sure he didn't do, but they like to believe he did).

As for why Nevada gets "blamed" for this, rather than South Carolina or Florida or Colorado and Minnesota.....from NH's perspective, it's not a matter of "blame".  Nevada is the state that's in their way, so they'll try to bully it out of the way.  *Why* it's in their way is beside the point.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:27:56 PM »

NH's primary law specifically exempts Iowa from the 7 day window.

And that's where New Hampshire loses any and all credibility on this, IMO.  If it deserves any right to get butthurt when other states start encroaching on their first-in-the-nation status, they never should have permitted Iowa to jump ahead in the first place.  (I realize that Iowa wasn't an 'important' state until 1972, but it is now, and thus New Hampshire's exception for them just looks ridiculously arbitrary.)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:22:15 AM »

Oh, I agree that NH's moral authority on this is zero.  Of course, the entire notion that the same two states should be first every single time is absurd.  The whole thing makes no sense.  I was just offering my best descriptive take on the situation, not suggesting that there's anything rational about it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies