How Open Minded Do You Consider Yourself? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:45:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How Open Minded Do You Consider Yourself? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How Open Minded Do You Consider Yourself?
Very Open Minded, Always Looking For Good Argument To Build On My Views

Moderately Open Minded, There Is A Fairly Reasonable Chance Someone Could Sway Me

A Little Open Minded, The Overwhelming Odds Are That No One Will Sway My Views

I Know The Other Side Is Wrong, So I Don't Really Care How They Argue Their Points

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: How Open Minded Do You Consider Yourself?  (Read 5017 times)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: October 17, 2011, 09:35:15 PM »

Very. I think the most important aspect of a successful political system is being open to new concepts and opposing strategies. The only things I'm 100% decidedly against are those based in faulty reasoning or motivated from a negative place. Other than that, I'd gladly consider any political suggestions. If I don't even bother to consider them, how can I be so sure they're wrong? Without giving proper acknowledgement of different beliefs, there is no understanding of them or a basis for legitimate opposition.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:30:09 AM »

In particular to those that answered the top 2(but anybody can answer) is there a particular style of argument you tend to prefer? Do you feel more comfortable "letting your guard down" among others that have similar views to your own or is it pretty equal no matter what their views are in relation to your own?

Somebody who respects my views and isn't just preaching at me. Most political conversation is based on "you're wrong and need to know it" rather than "here's how I'm looking at it that makes me think differently". People too easily slip into the mentality that them talking about politics is as important as Obama and Boehner talking about politics. Our political discourse in this country is delusional at best. And it's being cultivated to be like that by our "news" outlets.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:41:04 AM »

I consider myself very open minded, but not to the point that I'm some sort of political chameleon that will just take on whatever I've been most recently exposed to. I try to look up the vast majority of things before I speak on them, so while I'm open minded, most of my views are based in a relatively solid foundation.

Considering myself to have a very very high respect for empirical evidence, being open-minded is a requirement. I am swayed by concrete and irrefutable evidence that something works or does not work. I have the added bias of wanting things to work that are also fair and just, but I try not to get too subjective with that little "filter" on things, as it were. Appeals to tradition ("this is the way the founders wanted it!"), or on pointless principles ("it's about freedom and keeping the government off our backs!") don't tend to make me move very much.

Amen
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies