Ron Paul-"I will not take a salary above the average income of $30,000 per year"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:31:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Ron Paul-"I will not take a salary above the average income of $30,000 per year"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ron Paul-"I will not take a salary above the average income of $30,000 per year"  (Read 3296 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2011, 05:12:47 PM »

Just announced at a event in Nevada. Its live on Youtube, here. Will this help him at all or is it just page 9 news? Will this effect his support among blue collar workers in New Hampshire and Nevada.

PS: If you watch the video, and see the people behind him, then we know its true--hot chicks dig Ron Paul Wink
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:19:58 PM »

Does he even have a choice? The salary is written into law and I'm not aware of a mechanism by which a government employee can waive some of their salary.

He could turn over the excess as a donation to the government though.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 05:21:24 PM »

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 05:24:39 PM »

An average income of $30,000 ...  Ain't that a terrible indictment of our times Sad
Link
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 05:25:09 PM »

Just announced at a event in Nevada. Its live on Youtube, here. Will this help him at all or is it just page 9 news? Will this effect his support among blue collar workers in New Hampshire and Nevada.

A wealthy Texas physician who is going to have the government pay for his housing, food, transportation, utility bills, etc. for 4-8 years pledges to only accept $30K/yr for his "sacrifice."  What do you think?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 05:28:38 PM »

That's nice, but I'd rather he sacrifice his awful insane ideology that would mean tens of millions of Americans losing much needed healthcare and government assistance instead of saving the government 0.0001% of our budget every year.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 05:44:10 PM »

What a waste of space...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 06:29:10 PM »

Where is Herman Cain, Michele Bachmann, and Barack Obama? What about Romney and Perry? Why wont they take pay cuts? Did Bachmann and Obama (in his Senate days) give up his pension? Even if the money they make in Congress/White House is just a drop in the bucket, it is at least a start.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »

But if Obama did something like this, left-wing forumites would pee their individual panties.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 06:31:46 PM »

Where is Herman Cain, Michele Bachmann, and Barack Obama? What about Romney and Perry? Why wont they take pay cuts? Did Bachmann and Obama (in his Senate days) give up his pension? Even if the money they make in Congress/White House is just a drop in the bucket, it is at least a start.

Would you take all those cuts? Being President, at the end of the day, is a job.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 06:34:07 PM »

But if Obama did something like this, left-wing forumites would pee their individual panties.

No, I would call it a pointless stunt.

It's akin to cutting the NDA funding to address a $14trillion debt.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 06:35:21 PM »

That's nice, but I'd rather he sacrifice his awful insane ideology that would mean tens of millions of Americans losing much needed healthcare and government assistance instead of saving the government 0.0001% of our budget every year.

His free market idealology is the right one. Keynesinism doesn't work whatsoever.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 06:36:12 PM »

Would you take all those cuts? Being President, at the end of the day, is a job.
No, I wouldnt. I would take them, but it shows Pauls character in my opinion.Believe it or not, I bet this will get more coverage on the internet as a whole then the SPUSA convention.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 06:44:53 PM »

His free market idealology is the right one. Keynesinism doesn't work whatsoever.

Oh Good... it's OK everyone... we've been told which one works.

Just for S&G (I would like him to be the one to answer this...) where are there example that a pure free-market system works at the national economy level? Now, I mean beyond increasing wealth of some... I also mean benefits like health, education and the like... aaaaand go!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 06:55:19 PM »

pales in comparison to Bloomberg's oh-so-masochistic $1
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »

OMG RON PAUL!11!11!! DA SAVIOR!!!!!!
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 07:24:45 PM »

pales in comparison to Bloomberg's oh-so-masochistic $1

good point. If you are going to do a pointless stunt, you might as well go all the way
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 08:50:17 PM »

Ron Paul's plan for economic recovery: join the Girl Scouts and personally go door-to-door selling Mint Thins.
Link
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 09:07:14 PM »

Truly spoken as someone who obviously has never seen the US Federal Budget.  The foreign aid thing really cracked me up.  Why don't you enlighten us.  Tell us what percentage of the US budget is spent on foreign aid.  This should be good...

Less then 1%. But its a start. You must be entertained by the smallest of things. Hey, why dont we go laugh together at that one lose thread in my living room rug Wink

Even if the money they make in Congress/White House is just a drop in the bucket, it is at least a start.

Why don't all the teenagers on this forum who don't have real jobs and don't pay taxes please stop with this "it's a start" nonsense.  We've been jerked around by these stupid "starts" for years.  What American needs now is a finish.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 09:28:32 PM »

Truly spoken as someone who obviously has never seen the US Federal Budget.  The foreign aid thing really cracked me up.  Why don't you enlighten us.  Tell us what percentage of the US budget is spent on foreign aid.  This should be good...

Less then 1%. But its a start. You must be entertained by the smallest of things. Hey, why dont we go laugh together at that one lose thread in my living room rug Wink

Even if the money they make in Congress/White House is just a drop in the bucket, it is at least a start.

Why don't all the teenagers on this forum who don't have real jobs and don't pay taxes please stop with this "it's a start" nonsense.  We've been jerked around by these stupid "starts" for years.  What American needs now is a finish.
Obviously I dont have a job. Why should I have a job when someone your age does not? I applied for work over the summer--couldnt find any. Who can? We need a new start...the finish you talk about is completing the obivously failed Bush/Obama era policies.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 09:50:01 PM »

What evidence is there that it works?

If there was any besides theoretical - then sure. But what Paul and his kind advocate would probably create jobs... but it is symbolic of how unrelated to economic realty the Paulite solutions are - it's basically pulling the US economy back to Laissez Faire - which was fantastic for some - namely those who were able to get extraordinarily wealthy off the back of worker without basic economic protections.  Did it create jobs? Sure it did. But what kind of jobs?

Paul's whole economic view is basically trying to push a car up a hill, because you believe the road should be flat.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 10:04:49 PM »

An average income of $30,000 ...  Ain't that a terrible indictment of our times Sad

indeed.  When the mint started minting in 1793, 30 grand would have been a fabulous fortune.  The fact that it takes 30 thousand or more just to make ends meet nowadays is a terrible indictment of the choices the American people have made since then. 

Ron Paul.
Link
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 10:05:24 PM »

Obviously I dont have a job. Why should I have a job when someone your age does not? I applied for work over the summer--couldnt find any. Who can? We need a new start...the finish you talk about is completing the obivously failed Bush/Obama era policies.

You're a teenager.  No one expects you to have a job.  When you get to by my age and actually have to work full time and pay taxes it gives you a bit of perspective.  I just find it strange how many teenagers are on here arguing with college/grad school graduates with careers who pay taxes.  To someone like me with student loans and mounds of career stress I get a little irked when some wealthy doctor says he's going to forgo the salary from a job we all know he's not going to get.  There is no way he would say that if he had my student loans.  So no I do not feel any solidarity with him.  Why don't you go to college and grad school and see what kind of financial shape you're in.  If after doing that you aren't insulted by this stunt then I'll hear you out.
Link
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 10:08:59 PM »

indeed.  When the mint started minting in 1793, 30 grand would have been a fabulous fortune.  The fact that it takes 30 thousand or more just to make ends meet nowadays is a terrible indictment of the choices the American people have made since then. 

Ron Paul.

Yes of course its the mint.  It's certainly not due to this...

Gotta love the Republican Koolaid!

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 10:15:30 PM »

Actually, it was a Republican administration that compounded the problem.  Bush and company publicly announced a soft dollar policy in order to make US exports cheaper.  All it did was devalue the dollar.  And the current president hasn't changed this policy.  This koolaid tastes equally good to Republicans and Democrats, it seems.  But the problems go way beyond Republicans and Democrats, and started before the modern parties existed.  Fiat money is really not a partisan issue. 

Ron Paul happens to be a Republican, but his message would be just as clear if he weren't a Republican.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies