Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 01:12:51 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate (Moderator: Beet)
| | |-+  Free Trade vs Protectionism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Poll
Question: Which do you believe is the best economic policy.
Free Trade   -43 (71.7%)
Protectionism   -17 (28.3%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Free Trade vs Protectionism  (Read 5672 times)
futurepres
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.97, S: -5.13

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2011, 09:10:02 pm »
Ignore

Which do you believe is the best?

Free Trade: Trading with other countries and being able to outsource or get products from other countries.

Protectionism: Trading within one nation and discouraging trade with other countries.
Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 09:12:16 pm »
Ignore

Neither works in a pure form.

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
futurepres
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.97, S: -5.13

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 09:19:01 pm »
Ignore

Then vote on what you believe the majority portion is in the best working combination.
fezzyfestoon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 09:47:35 pm »
Ignore

Considering that protectionism is probably one of the single worst economic policies there is, it's pretty easy to go with free trade.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 09:51:58 pm »
Ignore

if it weren't for protectionism the US would still be heavily agrarian with some merchants along the coasts selling finished goods from Britain.

in a mirror, dimly lit
Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 10:13:19 pm »
Ignore

There is a perfectly fair and acceptable middle ground. As Polnut said..

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 10:48:09 pm »
Ignore

I am for freedom of movement in all its forms, but (at risk of clichť) trade cannot be free if workers are unfree.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 10:57:42 pm »
Ignore

Free trade, but not unilateral disarmament.  Trade isn't free when South Korea and China have massive tariffs against US products.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Senator Cynic
Dr. Cynic
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 12:21:11 am »
Ignore

I believe in fair trade. Free trade often gives up too much and protectionism gives up too little and frequently pisses other countries off. Fair trade is the only acceptable answer.

Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 03:05:52 am »
Ignore

The correct short answer is that free trade is good and the way to go.

Once you study it more in-depth there is, of course, a longer somewhat more complicated answer butit is still roughly the same.

Trade restrictions can really only be argued as a special interest position and under the assumption of unequal power distribution, which is hard to justify on principle (it basically amounts to "me screwing you over because I can")

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 10:49:51 am »
Ignore

Considering that protectionism is probably one of the single worst economic policies there is, it's pretty easy to go with free trade.
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 12:16:05 pm »
Ignore

I strongly support free trade in most circumstances, and in general wish to make tarifs as low as possible.  However, this has to be done gradually and pragmatically, and not to shoved it down the throat of developing countries like the WTO has done for decades.

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

It really is.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 02:39:10 pm »
Ignore

I believe in fair trade. Free trade often gives up too much and protectionism gives up too little and frequently pisses other countries off. Fair trade is the only acceptable answer.
I'm not sure that answers anything. If two countries want to trade freely, that could be considered fair. If two countries want to be protectionist against each other, I guess that could be considered fair too.

Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 03:42:05 pm »
Ignore

Four votes for The Great Depression Protectionism?

Yuck.

17:20   bore   the point of atlasia is to achieve things which you can then use as pick up lines
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 04:12:34 pm »
Ignore

In general, I feel that free trade is acceptable when both nations have strong regulations and labor protections which would mean no real advantage coming from shipping jobs from one country to the other. However, being in a manufacturing state, I must say that pure free trade as the globalists want is downright dangerous.

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 04:31:12 pm »
Ignore

Free trade.  I find it kind of odd that protectionism is even considered in the global market we have now.  Free trade ultimately benefits the consumer.  Plus, The local "Made in America" store wouldn't have nearly the sales it has under a "We lost our job to Mexicans/Chinese" society Tongue
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 09:23:55 pm »
Ignore

Free trade.  I find it kind of odd that protectionism is even considered in the global market we have now.  Free trade ultimately benefits the consumer.  Plus, The local "Made in America" store wouldn't have nearly the sales it has under a "We lost our job to Mexicans/Chinese" society Tongue

It benefits the consumer, but the citizen does not only exist as a consumer.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Nichlemn
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 08:28:34 am »
Ignore

Free trade. It's mutually beneficial under almost any circumstances, and at least efficient on net for the rest.

A compelling, simple argument: The Iowa Car Crop.

Davidís observation is that there are two technologies for producing automobiles in America.  One is to manufacture them in Detroit, and the other is to grow them in Iowa.  Everybody knows about the first technology; let me tell you about the second.  First, you plant seeds, which are the raw material from which automobiles are constructed.  You wait a few months until wheat appears.  Then you harvest the wheat, load it onto ships, and said the ships eastward into the Pacific Ocean.  After a few months, the ships reappear with Toyotas on them.

International trade is nothing but a form of technology.  The fact that there is a place called Japan, with people and factories, is quite irrelevant to Americansí well-being.  To analyze trade policies, we might as well assume that Japan is a giant machine with mysterious inner workings that convert wheat into cars.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:30:48 am by Nichlemn »Logged

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 08:42:44 am »
Ignore

People that treat economics emotionally can't comprehend the subtleties of that kind of thing.

They call me PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 06:03:06 pm »
Ignore

People that treat economics emotionally can't comprehend the subtleties of that kind of thing.

People who treat human beings as "consumers" have a bigger problem, IMO.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 06:19:21 pm »
Ignore

Neither term accurately describes any plausible contemporary reality.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 06:23:07 pm »
Ignore

i like girls but there is NOTHING better then a sexi hott dude
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 07:31:22 pm »
Ignore

Also, I dislike the clear-cut model we're given for the poll. We can't just fully open up our markets to Somalia or Burma or Syria, but at the same time we can't shut ourselves off from the world and live entirely off of our own products.

АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 07:36:44 pm »
Ignore

Both are means to an end and nothing more. Trade policy should be formulated based on goals rather than an ideological commitment to one or the other.

PS: I am using my late mother's Facebook account due to the difficulty of changing identities on Facebook. She has yet to complain.
Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 07:38:21 pm »
Ignore

I generally support free trade unless there is a very specific reason to impose tariffs or restrictions on a particular product or country. Overall both countries invloved in an interaction experience a net benefit, even though some in each may not. Clearly areas like my home and current residence do not benefit from free trade, but it's good in the long run after the inevitable, painful economic adjustment.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout