Free Trade vs Protectionism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:44:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Free Trade vs Protectionism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which do you believe is the best economic policy.
Free Trade

Protectionism

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Free Trade vs Protectionism  (Read 13925 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 11, 2012, 09:30:11 PM »

Protectionism for export-based countries, Free Trade for import...based (you know what I mean) economies.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 12:01:33 PM »

Protectionism for export-based countries, Free Trade for import...based (you know what I mean) economies.
That almost seems backwards.  The best argument for protectionism is when you have a country that is flooded with imports and you want to encourage domestic industry. If you have an exporting economy already, protectionism's tendency to start trade wars will be more damaging.
Yeah I should have said "if you [want] to have..."  My bad.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:47:06 PM »

That almost seems backwards.  The best argument for protectionism is when you have a country that is flooded with imports and you want to encourage domestic industry. If you have an exporting economy already, protectionism's tendency to start trade wars will be more damaging.
I'm not sure what you're saying then.

Tariffs should be used to foster home grown industry, while free trade should be supported if one's economy is not export-based.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 03:24:06 PM »

I'm not sure what you're saying then.

Tariffs should be used to foster home grown industry, while free trade should be supported if one's economy is not export-based.
I don't see the distinction here.  If your economy isn't focused on exporting goods, it's probably focusing on home grown industry for home markets, right?  What kind of economy is neither, where you think free trade should be supported?
A service-based economy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies