Homely's new maps thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:34:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Homely's new maps thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Author Topic: Homely's new maps thread  (Read 83263 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 10:37:09 PM »

I really don't understand these western countries which voted for Obama in 2008 yet gave Paladino a massive landslide. I really don't get it.

The vastness of the geographical and cultural difference between Western New York and metropolitan NYC was revealed by the presence of a unique candidate from the former region. This salient and powerful cleavage just doesn't play a role in nationwide races or even in statewide races where both candidates are from the Albany region or metro NYC. Thomas DiNapoli, for one, had a stronger performance in Niagara and Erie Counties than Cuomo despite underperforming him on the statewide level by more than ten points.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2012, 02:21:56 AM »

I really don't understand these western countries which voted for Obama in 2008 yet gave Paladino a massive landslide. I really don't get it.

Paladino's from there.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2012, 03:35:35 AM »

Can I have the 2010 gubernatorial and both senatorials for Rensselaer County?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2012, 07:31:45 AM »

Paladino's from there.

I know. I just don't understand why home turf effect could be so strong. It would be like McGovern winning SD in a landslide in 1972.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2012, 09:50:42 AM »

Paladino's from there.

I know. I just don't understand why home turf effect could be so strong. It would be like McGovern winning SD in a landslide in 1972.

It's not just home-turf effect, it's the metro-West cleavage. The two combined were responsible for delivering such huge margins to Paladino.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 04:05:13 PM »

It's still unusual.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2012, 04:38:03 PM »

Can I have the 2010 gubernatorial and both senatorials for Rensselaer County?

You bet.

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2012, 04:52:42 PM »

Unsurprising that Gillibrand cleaned up; she lives in Brunswick. Though, what's with Poestenkill, Grafton, and Pittstown? The Republican pocket of strength in Nassau in the other races is also a little curious, as is Paladino's apparent relative strength in Brunswick and Schaghticoke.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2012, 05:54:19 PM »

Paladino's from there.

It's not just home-turf effect, it's the metro-West cleavage. The two combined were responsible for delivering such huge margins to Paladino.

But where does this cleavage come from ? A sort of "western alienation" feeling ?
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2012, 06:54:02 PM »

Paladino's from there.

But where does this cleavage come from ? A sort of "western alienation" feeling ?

Yeah, from a sense that the government in Albany, which is dominated by politicians from NYC, Long Island and Westchester County, is out of touch with the often rural and quite conservative upstate and West. Much of this is right-wing skepticism of the welfare state and the overall political culture of urban, machine and minority politics. It's a feeling that transcends party, as the 2010 election seemed to show. I didn't see, however, many blacks in Buffalo vote for Paladino, so it's not that strong.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2012, 09:22:43 PM »

Western New York is different from downstate; Buffalo is much closer geographically to Detroit than it is to New York City.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2012, 11:24:31 AM »

This one is an instant classic: Cuomo vs Paladino in Ramapo, NY. See if you can find New Square on this map. Tongue

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »

This is awfully close to where I live. Just north of my town.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2012, 02:58:40 PM »

The abstract regional issues are important, but I don't think they explain on their own why the difference was so large. Paladino had unusually differing images inside his home region and outside it, due to his unusual history and bizarre gubernatorial campaign. Even though he hadn't held elected office, he was well-known in Buffalo even among the relatively apolitical due to his championing of consumer-protection-type causes with a strongly populist and mostly nonpartisan appeal, such as his campaign against highway tolls and his lawsuit to try to lower electrical bills. But then voters in the rest of the state knew none of this and just saw his racist e-mails, homophobic remarks, threatening of reporters, etc.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2012, 10:12:03 PM »

Any requests for full precinct maps of legislative or congressional districts?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2012, 12:23:03 AM »

I'd like the 2004 and 2008 Presidential and 2010 special Senatorial in the current[/old?] MA-01, please.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »

In that case I can only offer you a town map, sorry. I was referring to results from New York.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2012, 10:13:57 AM »
« Edited: January 20, 2012, 10:16:07 AM by Cincinnatus »

Paladino's from there.

This is exactly it, actually.  Western New York, particularly Erie and Niagara Counties feel so disconnected from downstate.  Buffalo is the second biggest city in New York State, and Western New Yorkers tend to feel like Albany completely ignores it.  Niagara Falls sits as one of the nations greatest natural landmarks, and Western New Yorkers feel like Albany ignores it.

The important thing to note about WNY, is that the people here are so used to dissapointment.  Businesses promise to come here, and we even offer pretty generous tax credits, and in the end, it falls through almost every time.  Politicians promise significant state funding for this tourist program, and development, and in the end, many people here feel betrayed and ignored.

When Paladino came around, his consistent message was that he did business in WNY and he believed in WNY.  The idea that WNY could have a Governor that directly (well, more directly than his opponents) understood our grievance, was attractive.  Mind you, the Buffalo News did a piece portraying Paladino as a vulture waiting to buy out real-estate for development.  However, the pick of a "true" WNY'er, over the son of Mario Cuomo who resided downstate, became more attractive to most people in this area.  That being said, I still voted for Cuomo Tongue
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2012, 09:59:18 PM by Die hässliche Küche »

Homely's famous NY town maps, now re-whipped and 5% scaled:

2010 Gubernatorial: Cuomo vs Paladino

2010 Comptroller: DiNapoli vs Wilson

2010 Attorney General: Schneiderman vs Donovan

I have a spreadsheet on my computer with complete precinct results from these races from all counties except NYC and Nassau. I theoretically could make a precinct map of the entire state, but it's just way too much work.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2012, 07:00:49 PM »

In that case I can only offer you a town map, sorry. I was referring to results from New York.

Hmm. How about a Rensselaer map of the 2000 Senatorial and Presidential?
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2012, 07:32:18 PM »

Hmm. How about a Rensselaer map of the 2000 Senatorial and Presidential?

OK. Will request the data and get back to you in a day or two.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2012, 10:34:35 PM »

Homely's famous NY town maps, now re-whipped and 5% scaled:

2010 Gubernatorial: Cuomo vs Paladino

2010 Comptroller: DiNapoli vs Wilson

2010 Attorney General: Schneiderman vs Donovan

I have a spreadsheet on my computer with complete precinct results from these races from all counties except NYC and Nassau. I theoretically could make a precinct map of the entire state, but it's just way too much work.

Wow, DiNapoli really underperformed compared to Cuomo.  Was that due to anti-Paterson sentiment or something?

And awesome work.  May the five percent live on! Cheesy
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2012, 06:09:26 PM »

DiNapoli got the job of Comptroller by accident after the Hevesi scandal. He's sort of an odd character in that he has very poor name recognition (represented a Nassau County district for 20 years in the state House - no one knows who the hell he is upstate), and he serves in an office that no one cares about. He's a bit more animated and charismatic as a speaker than more politicians, but he failed to make a name for himself in the years that he served after his appointment and exposed himself to a very strong Republican candidate in Harry Wilson (born in Fulton County).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2012, 05:25:22 AM »

Do you have a map of the 2010 Senate election (the Schumer seat) ? I'd like to see what a colossal dem landslide translates into town-wise.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2012, 08:11:36 AM »

Do you have a map of the 2010 Senate election (the Schumer seat) ? I'd like to see what a colossal dem landslide translates into town-wise.

Working on it right now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies