Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 09:18:05 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Gubernatorial/Statewide Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  Homely's new maps thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Homely's new maps thread  (Read 26921 times)
homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2012, 08:11:36 am »
Ignore

Do you have a map of the 2010 Senate election (the Schumer seat) ? I'd like to see what a colossal dem landslide translates into town-wise.

Working on it right now.
Joe Republic
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2012, 02:08:33 pm »

The Gillibrand map would be great too, for comparison.  Smiley

Real America demands to know.
homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2012, 08:20:46 pm »
Ignore

For Nathan. I have the complete Rensselaer data from 2000 but no precinct boundaries to map them to. The best I can do is a town map... sorry, I hope you'll understand.

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2012, 10:51:21 pm »
Ignore

I understand. Thank you very much; it's interesting how far that part of New York has trended in the past decade.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2012, 09:07:48 am »
Ignore

Here is the vote for Cuomo on the Working Families Party line only, 0.5% scale.

JohnnyLongtorso
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2012, 11:29:26 am »
Ignore

Why is Ulster County so Democratic compared to the surrounding upstate counties? It's one of the few upstate counties that voted for DiNapoli in 2010.
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2012, 12:16:39 pm »
Ignore

Why is Ulster County so Democratic compared to the surrounding upstate counties? It's one of the few upstate counties that voted for DiNapoli in 2010.

Ever heard of Woodstock? It's in the central part of the county. The area has long been a popular meeting place for artistic and bohemian types.

A little farther south is SUNY New Paltz, a relatively large (8k grads & undergrads) public university, culturally liberal even by the standards of liberal arts colleges:

Quote from: Wikipedia
In November 1997, two events on campus attracted nationwide media attention. The first, a feminist conference on sex and sexuality sponsored by the women's studies department entitled "Revolting Behavior: The Challenges of Women's Sexual Freedom", featured instructional workshops on sex toys and sadomasochism. The second, "Subject to Desire: Refiguring the Body", was sponsored by the Fine and Performing Arts Department. One presenter, performance artist Carolee Schneemann, had been known for a piece where she slowly unrolled a scroll from her vagina and read it to the audience.

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2012, 01:20:31 pm »
Ignore

Well, you can see very well where in New York State there are still families that are working. Grin

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2012, 01:26:02 pm »
Ignore

Well, you can see very well where in New York State there are still families that are working. Grin

It is a silly name, though in my corner of Northern New York I know a number of people who almost always vote on that party line. Ironically, most party supporters who I know derive a large portion of their income from some kind of public assistance.

PASOK Leader Hashemite
Hashemite
Moderators
YaBB God
South Africa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2012, 02:56:42 pm »
Ignore

Why does it appear as if hippies, college students and the like were the only ones to vote WF in big numbers?

homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2012, 03:25:16 pm »
Ignore

Why does it appear as if hippies, college students and the like were the only ones to vote WF in big numbers?

Because the WFP is more of a pressure group than a political party. Their principal tactic is to lend (or deprive) electoral support from Democrats or Republicans through extensive use of electoral fusion. So, most people who vote WFP are both well-informed enough to understand what the party is trying to accomplish with fusion and far enough to the left ideologically to value the WFP's goal of pushing politics in a more progressive direction.

It is a silly name, though in my corner of Northern New York I know a number of people who almost always vote on that party line. Ironically, most party supporters who I know derive a large portion of their income from some kind of public assistance.

What county/city/town do you live in?

Ever heard of Woodstock? It's in the central part of the county. The area has long been a popular meeting place for artistic and bohemian types.

Woodstock is in the north of Ulster County - it borders Greene County. It's filled in with the darkest shade because it had the second highest WFP vote in New York at 12.8%. Only the city of Ithaca had a greater percentage (14.1%)
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2012, 03:33:57 pm »
Ignore

What county/city/town do you live in?

I don't live there anymore, but I grew up in Jefferson County.

homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2012, 12:59:54 pm »
Ignore

New map, NE congressionals 2004 with extra-special feature:

And here is 2010:

Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2012, 03:47:57 pm »
Ignore

What are that purple CDs in MA ? Huh

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2012, 03:56:40 pm »
Ignore

That's the extra-special feature. In those CDs there was a Democrat running unopposed. Rather than color every town in with the darkest shade of red, I calculated the percentage of the Democratic candidate against the total number of ballots cast - elsewhere the R/D candidates' percentages are calculated against the total number of valid ballots cast - and colored the towns accordingly, shading them in purple to distinguish from the districts where a Democrat won every town but ran with Republican opposition.
Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2012, 06:27:22 am »
Ignore

That's the extra-special feature. In those CDs there was a Democrat running unopposed. Rather than color every town in with the darkest shade of red, I calculated the percentage of the Democratic candidate against the total number of ballots cast - elsewhere the R/D candidates' percentages are calculated against the total number of valid ballots cast - and colored the towns accordingly, shading them in purple to distinguish from the districts where a Democrat won every town but ran with Republican opposition.

That's a nice idea. Smiley

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2012, 08:36:09 am »
Ignore

I'll take requests.
homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2012, 09:27:07 pm »
Ignore

Tompkins County NY, Democratic Presidential Primary 2008
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2012, 09:29:59 pm »
Ignore

Have you done other New York State counties by precinct for the '08 primaries? I'd be interested in seeing Jefferson, Lewis, St. Lawrence, Monroe, Ontario or Livingston counties, if you have any of them. Democratic or Republican.

Also, how do you create your maps? ArcGIS?

realisticidealist
YaBB God
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 3.48

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2012, 11:13:03 pm »
Ignore

I highly doubt it.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2012, 11:21:32 pm »
Ignore

I highly doubt it.

You're right. I hack it with JPG screenshots from Dave's Redistricting.

To Averroes: Keep in mind that Clinton did really well all across the state of New York, and that some counties, especially Jefferson and St. Lawrence, will just be colored in with lots of 60% and 70% shades. The Republican map is especially boring.

I will do Livingston tomorrow, however. I can't do Lewis at all because they can't find the data at the county's board of elections!
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2012, 12:48:30 am »
Ignore

I knew that the North Country was Hillary's strongest region in 2008, but I didn't realize the story was so monolithic at the sub-county level. I'm surprised that Obama didn't come closer to winning either of the college towns (Canton & Potsdam) in SLC.

I look forward to seeing the Livingston County map tomorrow, especially for the Republicans. I've never understood Mitt Romney's relatively strong showing in the Rochester area.

homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2012, 08:31:26 am »
Ignore

Obama didn't win a single precinct in either Potsdam or Canton, and didn't come close in the vast majority of them. I think Obama's best performance in a precinct there was something like 43%.
homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2012, 12:32:32 pm »
Ignore

Livingston and Ontario in the Democratic primary. Obama won only Geneseo of the towns represented here.

Ten in Roman Numerals
jdb
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2012, 01:27:35 pm »
Ignore

Could you do a precinct map for 2010 and 2008 congressional races?

Cool Grin Tongue Smiley Sad Huh Angry Wink Roll Eyes Undecided Cheesy
Shocked Lips sealed

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout