Homely's new maps thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:44:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Homely's new maps thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15
Author Topic: Homely's new maps thread  (Read 83342 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2013, 08:21:11 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

(also, the GOP candidate was called Lamb? LOL Grin)
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »

That district definitely fails the Mull of Kintyre test...
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »

Wasn't the PS candidate in your district called Lamb, too? hhahaha...

BTW, what wew the results of that primary?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2013, 01:30:55 PM »

Nope, his name was LOLlioz. Grin Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2013, 01:40:06 PM »

Nope, his name was LOLlioz. Grin Tongue
The cause of Julio's confusion.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #230 on: January 09, 2013, 01:43:58 PM »

Yeah, I remember that bit now. Wink
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »

So I have a good, wrong memory Smiley
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2013, 09:06:02 PM »

The very first 2010 precinct map from the state of Connecticut! 2.5% scale, 'cause it's gangsta.

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2013, 10:04:54 AM »

Maps by State House district and State Senate district:

Only three Malloy House districts also elected Republican legislators: 74, 142 (the Minority Leader's district!) and 144.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #234 on: January 13, 2013, 10:42:24 AM »

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #235 on: January 15, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2013, 12:25:53 PM by homelycooking »

2008 New York and New England GOP strength by municipality, continuous (0.20%, 500 shades) scale.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #236 on: January 15, 2013, 11:55:41 AM »

2008?
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #237 on: January 15, 2013, 12:26:12 PM »

Yes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #238 on: January 16, 2013, 09:50:22 AM »

There seems to be a pretty stark contrast between Vermont/Western MA and the neighboring towns in Eastern NY... How comes?
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #239 on: January 16, 2013, 10:44:11 AM »

There seems to be a pretty stark contrast between Vermont/Western MA and the neighboring towns in Eastern NY... How comes?

I think the root cause of that is twofold: the political (state-boundary) divide between the communities in Massachusetts and New York and the geographic divide (the Taconic Range).

During settlement and the Early Republic, the difficulty in building transportation links across the mountains meant that Hudson Valley towns and Housatonic Valley towns were able to develop economies and cultures relatively independent of each other. The state boundary only reinforced the divide. Nowadays, the transportation problem has been mitigated, and you start to see Columbia County border towns (Austerlitz, Canaan, Hillsdale) become more Democratic in their voting habits. But still they're nowhere near the Democratic strength in Stockbridge and Great Barrington. That's a testament, I think, to the durability of political culture as well as an indication of the importance of a political boundary in defining people's daily activity spaces and mental geographies.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #240 on: January 16, 2013, 10:56:43 AM »

Ah, didn't know there was a major geographic divide adding to the official border. Very interesting!
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #241 on: January 16, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2013, 02:55:00 AM by Nathan »

The counties on the New York side of the line have as a whole trended, in general, Democratic of late. Columbia County was 47-46 Gore, then 51-47 Kerry, then 56-42 Obama both times (swinging very slightly D in 2012). Of note is that it is now more Democratic than Rensselaer County despite Rensselaer containing the post-industrial city of Troy and Columbia being primarily rural--which, granted, which the exception of some suburbanization in the southwestern part of the county as soon as you get out of spitting distance of the Hudson Rensselaer is too. Rensselaer has gone from 51-43 Gore, to 50-48 Kerry, to 54-44 Obama, to 55-43 Obama.

(Dutchess County also borders Massachusetts, technically, but it's for about two thousand feet and in a completely uninhabited area of wooded mountains southwest of Great Barrington.)

Before 1992 both counties were Republican. In 1992 they split, with Columbia for Bush and Rensselaer for Clinton. Since 1996 they've both been Democratic, but I don't have the exact numbers for 1996.

Local Republicans are still dominant in Rennselaer outside Troy; I'm not sure about Columbia.

You see patterns like this in a lot of rural upstate New York.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #242 on: January 16, 2013, 07:10:34 PM »

The counties on the New York side of the line have as a whole trended, in general, Democratic of late. Columbia County was 47-46 Gore, then 51-47 Kerry, then 56-42 Obama both times (swinging very slightly D in 2012). Of note is that it is now more Democratic than Rensselaer County despite Rensselaer containing the post-industrial city of Troy and Columbia being primarily rural--which, granted, which the exception of some suburbanization in the southwestern part of the county as soon as you get out of spitting distance of the Hudson Rensselaer is too. Rensselear has gone from 51-43 Gore, to 50-48 Kerry, to 54-44 Obama, to 55-43 Obama.

(Dutchess County also borders Massachusetts, technically, but it's for about two thousand feet and in a completely uninhabited area of wooded mountains southwest of Great Barrington.)

Before 1992 both counties were Republican. In 1992 they split, with Columbia for Bush and Rensselaer for Clinton. Since 1996 they've both been Democratic, but I don't have the exact numbers for 1996.

Local Republicans are still dominant in Rennselaer outside Troy; I'm not sure about Columbia.

Have you spent much time in the Hudson's rive gauche? How would you compare it to Western Massachusetts in terms of culture, topography, demography, economics? Despite living in north central Connecticut all my life, less than 40 miles from Dutchess on Route 44, I've only been once (Poughkeepsie).
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2013, 02:53:13 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2013, 03:04:11 AM by Nathan »

The counties on the New York side of the line have as a whole trended, in general, Democratic of late. Columbia County was 47-46 Gore, then 51-47 Kerry, then 56-42 Obama both times (swinging very slightly D in 2012). Of note is that it is now more Democratic than Rensselaer County despite Rensselaer containing the post-industrial city of Troy and Columbia being primarily rural--which, granted, which the exception of some suburbanization in the southwestern part of the county as soon as you get out of spitting distance of the Hudson Rensselaer is too. Rensselear has gone from 51-43 Gore, to 50-48 Kerry, to 54-44 Obama, to 55-43 Obama.

Have you spent much time in the Hudson's rive gauche? How would you compare it to Western Massachusetts in terms of culture, topography, demography, economics? Despite living in north central Connecticut all my life, less than 40 miles from Dutchess on Route 44, I've only been once (Poughkeepsie).

I have; my best friend lives in Rensselaer and I pass through Columbia and Dutchess when traveling between New England and New Jersey, which I do quite often. I would say that that part of New York is roughly comparable, culturally speaking, to western Massachusetts outside the hippified/yuppified/hipsterfied (in that historical order) towns, or the parts of Vermont to which it's closest. A certain amount of hill-folk left-libertarianism has set in and there are more white Buddhists than one might expect for that sort of area, but it's still home to plenty of more conservative types, typically but not always older. Politically it of course votes more Republican (or less Democratic) than east of the Taconics, I imagine partly because of a surprising lack of labor politics for a region that includes Troy. The rive droit is (appropriately!) rather more conservative, with the obviously very large exception of Albany itself. Once you get further down towards Poughkeepsie, however, first it reverses, with the Catskills being far more liberal than the rural parts of Dutchess, and then both banks of the river turn into something more immediately comparable to politics along the middle and upper Connecticut; on the other hand that turns into some very Republican areas further away from the water. People in these areas are somewhat similar to those in Litchfield County, politically and culturally--think Nan Hayworth, with whom I have a longstanding personal beef.

Topographically and demographically the entire region between the Connecticut and Hudson is pretty similar north of a certain point. Very hilly and in the rural areas, which most of it is, very white, although not as white as it used to be. One difference between the Hudson rive gauche and western Massachusetts and Vermont is that west of the Taconic Range there are no further lines of hills equivalent to the Berkshires/Green Mountains and Vermont Piedmont to the east, since the Taconics are much closer to the Hudson than they are to the Connecticut. Instead there's a long, gentle, rolling slope.

Economically there does seem anecdotally to be a bit of a difference, with the New York side being somewhat poorer, but I haven't really looked at any data. Regionally-indicative institutions are by and large the same, with a triumphalist Bank of America interspersed with local or regional savings banks and credit unions and the main convenience stores being Cumberland Farms and Stewart's--although the Stewart's stores on the New York side sell nightcrawlers in bulk during the summer months.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #244 on: January 19, 2013, 02:12:40 PM »

Finally, a complete precinct map from the crazy 2009 NY-23 special election. Clinton County's results were hard to come by:

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #245 on: January 22, 2013, 08:45:05 AM »

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #246 on: January 22, 2013, 09:05:44 AM »

That Comptroller race is a narrow Democratic win. Reminds me of

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #247 on: January 27, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »

In the works: a 2010 PA Senate map (2.5% scale) by municipality.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #248 on: January 27, 2013, 12:33:19 PM »

Cheesy
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #249 on: February 01, 2013, 10:06:25 AM »

Every important election in Connecticut of the past 22 years!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies