Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 01:04:25 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  Gully Foyle's African News Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Gully Foyle's African News Thread  (Read 2592 times)
Benwah [why on Earth do I post something] Courseyay
tsionebreicruoc
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 11:36:50 am »
Ignore

...and no comments. How fitting.

Well, personally, I've a kind of problem with this thread. I mean, well, it surely have good intentions, but in the end it would be like all the rest, when we speak about Africa, we make an 'Africa bag' for 'poor little Africans'. First as if Africa was just a country, and furthermore in which we post all the bad stuffs from there 'but in which we will also try to post good stuffs'. Reminds me of something of, you know, the 'elementary school spirit' when it's about doing a 'good action' in an elementary school for 'poor little Africans' here or there. Ya know like a kind of 'Western good conscious' about Africa. So in the beginning there were a collection of different African news enchained in very short laps of time which maybe all of them deserved one thread since all of them depends on different complex situations of each regions of Africa. Then there has been the coup in Niger, that maybe deserved a thread too.

Anyhow for these kinds of reason I've had problems posting here to speak about issues raised in here personally.

Dunno, maybe I read too much in it, or I read it wrong, but, I'd prefer something related to a special issue concerning Africa, like coups, or weapons, or corruption, or anything. Some things that have an African coherence, instead of a succession of different mixed stuffs of which the only point they have in common is the same continent.

The FA or whatever happens to a member of the UK parliament have a thread! Any African news can have one!

Well, if what happens to UK Parliament's MPs have better chances to be discussed here than something happening in Africa for obvious reasons, in the same way that on African forums they would maybe put us in a bag too, I think I would have at least preferred just an 'Africa General Discussion', just to collect news from there, because this part of the world deserves to be discussed, but without that kind of 'we have to take care of the poor little Africans' Western connotation that I tended to feel in the beginning of the thread and that turned me off.

Well, maybe I just read too much, dunno, but here is why personally I haven't commented here some stuffs that I could have commented. Thanks anyways this comment has permit me to express that thought. Didn't before because there was the fact that there surely were a good intention, I tried to find a way, it has been that one.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:40:02 am by Bunoah »Logged

14/01/2011: Tunisia!!
11/02/2011: Egypt!
20/10/2011: Libya
02/09/2013: Abandon of Syria...
...and of, well, 'all of that'...

Money became totally unfair.
Money became totally senseless.
Let's make Money totally useless...

??/??/20??: EU UU!!

Maybe a little update:

Religion Tradition is people's opium...
Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 07:27:57 am »
Ignore

I'm sure ye were all up all night following the results anyway, but for the formality of mentioning it...

Here in Malawi, the ruling Democratic Progressive Party won both by-elections held on Tuesday. They held Dowa SE (which was a very tight 3-way marginal in last year's general election, won by 3 votes last time) on a 17% swing from the Malawi Congress Party.

They also gained Mangoochi Malombe on a 13% swing from the United Democratic Front.

The results mean that the DPP extend their massive majority in the unicameral Malawian Parliament. Seat distribution is now:
Democratic Progressive Party113
Malawi Congress Party  27
United Democratic Front  16
Aford    1
Maravi Party    1
Independents  34

So... yeah...

Funny 'cause it's true:
Very few people seriously allow facts to affect their opinions.

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 08:21:43 am »
Ignore

('Portuguese Africa' is a different bucket of spades all together)
Wow...if Duke or DWTL said that their "fans" would be repeating that for the next 10 years.  You might not know, but that could be taken as a bit racist.  Not that I mind, just words to me, but "spade" is a touchy word here in the states.

(unless you did that on purpose, knowing full well....in which case, ignore this)

Ugh. Life itself is offensive, so people need to stop complaining.

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 03:54:27 am »
Ignore

Tanzania has elected it's first albino to parliament - BBC Smiley

Funny 'cause it's true:
Very few people seriously allow facts to affect their opinions.

politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2014, 03:46:03 pm »
Ignore

The leader of the Zimbabwean opposition alliance NCA Lovemore Madhuku has less than loving feelings towards  his country's ambitious First Lady Grace Mugabe (49) and predicts civil war will erupt if she succeeds her elderly husband Robert Mugabe (90) as the country's president.

Bobby and Grace Mugabe

Speaking at a policy dialogue by the Southern African Political and Economic Series to analyse Zanu PF's succession matrix, Madhuku said Zimbabweans would go to war if Grace becomes the country's new leader after her ailing husband.

Lovemore Madhuku:

- "Grace, the President of Zimbabwe! When we are there? Not at all!"

- "It would be absurd to wake up one day and be told Grace is the President. We would go to war."

- "Yes, she can be a chair of the women's league, address rallies but she cannot be a President."

- "You cannot have a country where you say l ran it for 34 years and when l left my wife took over ... people have to find any unlawful means of stopping any insanity by Zanu PF that would want to leave us with Grace Mugabe as President."

- "For the next 241 years we don't want to see any Mugabe in power."

The background is, that Grace was nominated to take over as head of Zanu PF's women's league at the party's congress in December 2013, since then she has just concluded a whirlwind nationwide "meet-the-people"-tour which has left commentators warning the First Lady could be targeting the presidency.

Her rallies have featured brutal attacks of female Vice President Joice Mujuru, previously seen as potential successor to Mugabe although struggling to put off a challenge by Justice Minister Emmerson Mnangagwa for the job.

Grace has demanded that Mujuru steps down saying she is not qualified to be Vice President and accusing her of illicit diamond dealing and running an extortion racket demanding 10% shareholdings in private companies - so quite vicious attacks.

Joice Mujuru

Political commentators have warned Zimbabweans to ready themselves for a "republican monarchy" experience akin to countries like the Democratic Republic of Congo and North Korea where leaders were succeeded by family members.

But according to Madhuku "Zimbabweans would not accept "a monarchy".

- "I don't think we are at the level of those countries (DRC and North Korea). Do you think we are at such a level? If we are at such a level - well ..."

- "They (Zanu PF) will do all the madness, but let's not allow this madness to carry us away."

Grace Mugabe (popularly known as Dis Grace for her lavish lifestyle, extravagant shopping sprees and corruption) also got a PhD in sociology from the University of Zimbabwe in September after a full two years of studying... the degree was awarded by the Chancellor of the university, a fellow named Robert Mugabe.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2014/sep/15/grace-mugabe-phd-award-first-lady-zimbabwe-university
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:18:06 pm by politicus »Logged

politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2014, 10:28:07 am »
Ignore

The parliament of Mauritius has been dissolved. New elections will be held within 5 monts - but likely before the end of the year.

Their Indo-Mauritian Labour Prime Minister Navinchandra Ramgoolam wants to be directly elected President with the authority to appoint both governor and deputy governors of the central bank + finance minister and chair the Council of Ministers and National Assembly when he deems it necessary. So if his coalition with the Mauritius Militant Movement wins important constitutional changes will happen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-2782709/Mauritius-parliament-dissolved-election-lead-constitutional-change.html

The Labour government has been pretty succesful and the small island nation topped the Ibrahim Index of African Governance (IIAG) for the eight time in a row this year.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201410140448.html
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:12:19 pm by politicus »Logged

ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2014, 09:56:58 pm »
Ignore

The Zimbabwe post gave me an idea for a song: Me and Bobby MooGobby. To be sung by Zombie Janice Joplin.

If a burial strikes my family as too practical, I'd go for either a viking funeral on one of the Great Lakes or to be sealed up in a tomb with my closest servants and bang-maids so they may wait on my every need in the afterlife.
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2014, 10:25:49 pm »
Ignore

The Zimbabwe post gave me an idea for a song: Me and Bobby MooGobby. To be sung by Zombie Janice Joplin.

The idea has already been taken (even if it isn't exactly Janis Joplin singing Wink )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BduAUenHAPY

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to eat"
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:46:03 pm by politicus »Logged

politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 12:41:35 pm »
Ignore

Kenyan transgender activist Audrey Mbugua (by far Kenya's most famous transsexual), won a landmark case on Tuesday when the High Court ordered the Kenya National Examinations Council to change her name on her academic certificates and remove the male gender mark on Mbugua's certificates, issued in the name of Andrew Mbugua.

Transgender people in Kenya find it virtually impossible to get work because of the discrepancy between the gender on their certificates and the one they present as.

In July, Mbugua won another legal victory when the High Court ordered the National NGO Council to register her group Transgender Education and Advocacy and pay their legal fees.

The media attention attracted by Mbugua's litigation has raised the profile of transgender issues in Kenya a lot.

Mbugua has been nominated for the Dutch government's Human Rights Tulip Award for "her innovative and courageous work."

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:01:02 pm by politicus »Logged

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout