Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 11:43:06 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  The abductions in Nigeria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The abductions in Nigeria  (Read 1244 times)
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 11:25:55 pm »
Ignore

I guess we can expect a leftist anti-war backlash soon then.

Why?

Obama using the CIA to give info to a regime with questionable human rights record. Obama sending troops to kill Muslim boogeymen. I mean, I'm all for it personally but that's what I imagine people are going to start saying.

Shouldn't good leftists also hate the idea of theocratic fundamentalists victimizing young girls and depriving them of the right to a secular education?

Obviously Boko Haram are disgusting reactionaries, but the fact that Obama is sending ground troops to fight Islamists in an oil-rich country with a spotty human rights record and a government clearly unable (or more likely, unwilling) to deal with the terrorists on their own leads one to many questions.

IceSpear
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

P P
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 11:44:01 pm »
Ignore

Why?

Obama using the CIA to give info to a regime with questionable human rights record. Obama sending troops to kill Muslim boogeymen. I mean, I'm all for it personally but that's what I imagine people are going to start saying.

Shouldn't good leftists also hate the idea of theocratic fundamentalists victimizing young girls and depriving them of the right to a secular education?

Obviously Boko Haram are disgusting reactionaries, but the fact that Obama is sending ground troops to fight Islamists in an oil-rich country with a spotty human rights record and a government clearly unable (or more likely, unwilling) to deal with the terrorists on their own leads one to many questions.

Are you able to comment on any issue without somehow mentioning how horrible Obama is?

Snowstalker
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2014, 09:58:07 am »
Ignore

Why?

Are you able to comment on any issue without somehow mentioning how horrible Obama is?

Not when Obama is invading an oil-rich nation under the pretext of fighting Islamist terrorists.

CrabCake
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 11:05:31 am »
Ignore

Why?

Not when Obama is invading an oil-rich nation under the pretext of fighting Islamist terrorists.

Seriously, if you're going to criticise this it undermines legitimate criticisms of Obama's administrations actions.

Obama, with the permission of the Nigerian President, is going to send in a handful of special forces. That's not an invasion - it barely counts as a skirmish.

Seriously, why wouldn't the world hegemonic power help out in a case like this? This is absolutely, certainly, not in any way about oil. The US gets tons of oil from Nigeria already, and Boko Harem are in no position to overpower the Nigerian government.

This is about all soft power. The US wants to regain the image they held for so long as "good guys", protectors of underdogs. If the US marches in and saves the girls, their will be immense goodwill from many countries who have grown  cynical of Obama. In turn that goodwill means the US has more room to pivot against China and Russia.

And the best thing (from a moral and PR point of view) is that this issue is pretty much black vs. white. Scary terorist group with no support vs. 200 innocent schoolgirls. Rescuing them is a win-win situation.

What does individual politics got to do with ANYTHING?

INDIVIDUAL POLITICS???

F U ridiculous MORON forum!!

F U

F U!

What's wrong with "you guys" Huh Huh

I know it was only down to one sole moronic soul who decided that this was beyond his worth as a human being to consider comedians as actual human beings.
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 07:35:38 pm »
Ignore

I have one thing to say here;

Children have been abducted.

Please bear this in mind before your opinions fall out of your mouth.

Or have they? There are a few Nigerians I know who maintain this is some hoax perpetrated by the local villagers and/or government, for some unknown reason.

Are these real Nigerians or nigerians you met online? Pretty hard to fake the entire thing considering the reaction by both the families and Boko Haram leaders

While I see no reason to think this is fake, it's not as if Nigerians have never been suspected of fakery.

My ballot:
Haley(R) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D/Working Families) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
TBD: Lex 1 School Board
Yes: Am. 1 (allow charity raffles)
No: Am. 2 (end election of the Adj. General)
No: Local Sales Tax
Yes: Temp Beer/Wine Permits
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 02:35:33 pm »
Ignore

American troops are going to Chad to assist in the hunt for the missing girls. I am usually opposed to American intervention overseas, and while I have my doubts about this mission, I can't say I oppose it with any vigor. Its not the right solution in my opinion, but I if they get rescued then my non interventionist views can be sidelined. Its only 80 men according to CNN.

A Hybrid of Pat Buchanan and Bob Dylan.
Cory
YaBB God

P
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2014, 04:09:24 pm »
Ignore

True Leftists are required by a law of the universe to disagree with every foreign action taken by the US Government ever. They are like a left-wing version of Alex Jones truther types. Literally everything has to be a conspiracy.
Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2014, 06:24:20 am »
Ignore

Ugh.

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) Boko Haram militants dressed as soldiers slaughtered at least 200 civilians in three communities in northeastern Nigeria and the military failed to intervene even though it was warned that an attack was imminent, witnesses said on Thursday.

A community leader who witnessed the killings on Monday said residents of the Gwoza local government district in Borno state had pleaded for the military to send soldiers to protect the area after they heard that militants were about to attack, but help didn't arrive.

It took a few days for survivors to get word of the massacres to Maiduguri, the provincial capital, because travel on the roads is extremely dangerous and phone connections are poor or nonexistent.

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2014, 07:07:48 am »
Ignore

Ugh.

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) Boko Haram militants dressed as soldiers slaughtered at least 200 civilians in three communities in northeastern Nigeria and the military failed to intervene even though it was warned that an attack was imminent, witnesses said on Thursday.

A community leader who witnessed the killings on Monday said residents of the Gwoza local government district in Borno state had pleaded for the military to send soldiers to protect the area after they heard that militants were about to attack, but help didn't arrive.

It took a few days for survivors to get word of the massacres to Maiduguri, the provincial capital, because travel on the roads is extremely dangerous and phone connections are poor or nonexistent.

If it takes that long for word to get out, maybe the government didn't help because they hadn't gotten the information yet.
Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 08:18:08 am »
Ignore

*bump*

Here we go again?

While the authorities haven't yet confirmed it one way or the other, residents of two villages in northeastern Nigeria claim that Boko Haram has just abducted "dozens" of women and girls in those villages:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29740204

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout