Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2016, 09:30:21 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
| | |-+  Overall, is Southeast Asia more culturally similar to China or India?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: ?
China   -11 (47.8%)
India   -7 (30.4%)
Neither/both equally   -5 (21.7%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Overall, is Southeast Asia more culturally similar to China or India?  (Read 361 times)
TDAS04
YaBB God
Nepal

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2016, 07:40:15 pm »
Ignore

Well?

Economic:  -2.71
Social:  -5.74

I can't for the life of me imagine that God would say, 'I will punish you because you are black; you should have been white. I will punish you because you are a woman; you should have been a man. I punish you because you are homosexual; you ought to have been heterosexual. I can't, I can't for the life of me believe that that is how God sees things.
-Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Blue3
Starwatcher
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 07:50:41 pm »
Ignore

Probably India. The area used to be Hindu, then converted to original/Indian-style Buddhism. Similar architecture too. And like India, more heterogeneous than Han China.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:54:33 pm by Blue3 »Logged
Sol
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 09:06:34 pm »
Ignore

Southeast Asia's a good example of how constructed regions don't always make a lot of sense.

Meclazine
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 09:31:36 pm »
Ignore

It's China.

SE Asia has Chinese subculture in every country.

When i thin Asian, i dont think Indian.

SE Asia owes a lot of its food, trade and culture to Chinese influence. Large populations of Chinese exist in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and The Phillipines.

I dont even consider India as part of Asia. Pakistan and India are typically referrwd to as the "sub-continent".

Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 10:54:53 pm »
Ignore

At the least, Thai and Khmer culture is fundamentally Indian in derivation. The language is deeply reliant on a Sanskrit and Pali lexicon. Sure there are more Chinese living in the region but they tend to either remain distinct or assimilate. Their cultural impact remains relatively limited.

What will happen if a hen impregnates an asteroid? Certainly, this will result in a snow storm over the Canary Islands, which will guarantee an FDP landslide in the next Nigerian election. Do you get me?
whyCarly?
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:57:20 pm »
Ignore

China for Vietnam and Singapore; India for Indonesia, Burma, Cambodia, and Thailand; I don't know enough about Laos or Malaysia to be sure; I'm not sure I'd count the Philippines as Southeast Asia for these purposes.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

Clarko95
YaBB God
Italy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 11:11:43 pm »
Ignore

China for Vietnam and Singapore; India for Indonesia, Burma, Cambodia, and Thailand; I don't know enough about Laos or Malaysia to be sure; I'm not sure I'd count the Philippines as Southeast Asia for these purposes.

I'm fairly confident in saying that Malaysia and Laos would be more culturally Indian than Chinese. They not only are/were influenced by Hinduism and Buddhism, but also have influence from Indian writing systems:

(red = Chinese writing influences)

Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 10:34:06 pm »
Ignore

Laos definitely falls in the Indic sphere. They speak a Tai language and have largely the same Khmer-Thai influenced culture as their neighbors. Malaysia also has the same influences as Indonesia, although to a lesser extent, I feel (for instance, while the Javanese script is like its neighbors derived from Sanskrit, the "old" Malay script is simply Arabic) . The Philippines, however, do their own thing. There the cultural substrate is Spanish if anything. Above all, though, Theravada Buddhism predominates or historically predominated in all but Vietnam and the Philippines.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:40:22 pm by Simfan34 »Logged

What will happen if a hen impregnates an asteroid? Certainly, this will result in a snow storm over the Canary Islands, which will guarantee an FDP landslide in the next Nigerian election. Do you get me?
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -5.91

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 02:07:48 pm »
Ignore

Well, I've been to Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam, and of those Singapore and Vietnam felt more Chinese while Thailand felt more Indian. Maybe that's just me, but I say it varies by country.

Part of that weird group of people who are simultaneously True Leftists and Moderate Heroes.
whyCarly?
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 02:36:45 pm »
Ignore

Above all, though, Theravada Buddhism predominates or historically predominated in all but Vietnam and the Philippines.

Yeah, Vietnam being Mahayana is a huge part of why I said China for it--that, the writing system, and the type of wet-rice agriculture.

Also, I completely forgot Brunei existed when I made that post.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout