Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2016, 05:31:21 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2016 predictions are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
| | |-+  For the first time since 2013, ISIS has no border with NATO
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: For the first time since 2013, ISIS has no border with NATO  (Read 434 times)
Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2016, 09:51:45 pm »
Ignore

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/for-the-first-time-since-2013-isis-has-no-border-with-nato/2016/09/04/24a032ae-72dc-11e6-9781-49e591781754_story.html

BEIRUT — Turkish troops and Syrian rebels on Sunday pushed the Islamic State out of the remaining stretch of territory the group had controlled along the Turkish-Syrian border, severing the militants’ last access to the outside world.

Since 2013, when the group announced its formation, it has had territory bordering a NATO state — Turkey — but the sweep by Turkish forces and rebels fighting under the umbrella of the Free Syrian Army has brought that to an end.

According to the official Turkish news agency Anadolu, the Turkish army helped Syrian rebel allies secure 57 miles of border territory stretching from the Syrian towns of Azaz and Jarabulus by ejecting the militants from a string of villages on Sunday.

Excellent Erdogan!
palandio
P
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 08:46:12 am »
Ignore

Umm, while it is certainly relieving that ISIS has no border with NATO anymore and ISIS can't fire artillery on Turkish territory anymore, I don't get the whole "access" thing.

Did ISIS have "access" to the outside world (i.e. Turkey) before the recent sweep? I thought Turkey had sealed off the border some months ago?
Does the whole "access" issue depend on whether ISIS borders Turkey or some Syrian territory controlled by Turkey and its rebel proxies?
Isn't a real institutionalized border like the one between Turkey and Syria actually easier to control than an ever changing civil war frontline? Wouldn't it be easier for ISIS to buy supply from rebels in Syria than to smuggle it across the border?
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 12:54:59 pm »
Ignore

I don't buy the coup conspiracy theories, but Erdogan remains an all-around sketchy character, this being the latest sign. Every indication suggests this offense is targeted at the YPG rather than ISIL, and is for the benefit of Jabhat Fatah as-Sham and the other Salafist"moderate-not-moderate" opposition fronts backed by the Saudis, Qatar, and other states in the Gulf (which aren't necessarily the same groups, I don't know).

Considering the YPG is the closest thing to an unambiguously good actor in this conflict (and even then one can't help but feel that, upon closer inspection, they come across as a post-communist front organization), this is yet another negative development in an endless series of unfortunate events.

What will happen if a hen impregnates an asteroid? Certainly, this will result in a snow storm over the Canary Islands, which will guarantee an FDP landslide in the next Nigerian election. Do you get me?
specific_name
generic_name
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 11:47:54 pm »
Ignore

It only took him 5 years to stop supporting Islamists inside another nation, bravo. Good timing since the coup against him failed he seems to be cozying to Putin and therefore more than willing to do the dirty work against the Kurds for Assad.

O-NY for the sake of not being confused with other I-NY's.

Political Compass:
E: -8.88 S: -8.10
GMantis
Dessie Potter
YaBB God
Bulgaria

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 03:21:22 pm »
Ignore

So ISIS will have to sell their oil now through the territory of the Syrian opposition, instead of directly through Turkey (presuming of course the Turkish resolve to seriously fight ISIS continues for long).

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout