Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 13, 2016, 07:51:39 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
| | |-+  Japan General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] Print
Author Topic: Japan General Discussion  (Read 21427 times)
CrabCakes
CrabCake
YaBB God
Kiribati

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: February 07, 2016, 03:56:43 pm »
Ignore

have the JCP ever mused about changing their name or is there less stigma attached to "communism" in Japan?
jaichind
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 07, 2016, 07:55:47 pm »
Ignore

have the JCP ever mused about changing their name or is there less stigma attached to "communism" in Japan?

There were discussions on the side about this during the 2000s when the surge of the DPJ was slowing squeezing out the JCP which had reached a postwar high back in the late 1990s.  These talks died down when DPJ fell apart in 2012 which benefited the JCP in 2013 and 2014 elections.  If JCP support starts falling again there might be more talks about renaming the party.

Chinese from Taiwan Province.  Now in New York City suburb of Scarsdale.  Ex-GOP now Libertarian.
The important thing is not how they vote but how we count.             - Stalin
warandwar
United States

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 08, 2016, 04:06:26 pm »
Ignore

Kyoto is a Communist stronghold? It's amazing, really-- who would have thought Japan would have been perhaps the only developed country where the Communist Party remained relevant?

If you read the platform of the JCP you would find that it is mostly a European Social Democratic Party.  Also Kyodo is a JCP stronghold in the sense that it is capable of winning elections on its own even though it is infrequent.   It is the largest non-LDP political force there and in fact, as I pointed out, often force the creation of anti-JCP united front from time to time.

Does this have anything to do with the amount of Zainichi there? I'm pretty sure Kyoto has a fair amount.

jaichind
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 08, 2016, 04:14:42 pm »
Ignore

Kyoto is a Communist stronghold? It's amazing, really-- who would have thought Japan would have been perhaps the only developed country where the Communist Party remained relevant?

If you read the platform of the JCP you would find that it is mostly a European Social Democratic Party.  Also Kyodo is a JCP stronghold in the sense that it is capable of winning elections on its own even though it is infrequent.   It is the largest non-LDP political force there and in fact, as I pointed out, often force the creation of anti-JCP united front from time to time.

Does this have anything to do with the amount of Zainichi there? I'm pretty sure Kyoto has a fair amount.

That could be.  I am not sure about that.  My understanding was always that Kyodo labor unions has been unusually strong.  Also Kyodo is a university town so the center-left is stronger there as well.

Chinese from Taiwan Province.  Now in New York City suburb of Scarsdale.  Ex-GOP now Libertarian.
jaichind
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 10, 2016, 10:45:58 pm »
Ignore

Oops. Knew that. Meant ARG.

ARG, which stands for Assembly Reform Grouping was my translation of JIP splinter 改革結集の会.  Now they have an official name which is "Vision of Reform."

jaichind
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 12, 2016, 07:15:22 am »
Ignore

LDP MP 宮崎謙介 (Miyazaki Kensuke) announced that he will resign over a sex scandal.

宮崎謙介

Miyazaki married another LDP MP 金子惠美 (Kaneko Megumi) in early 2015.  Both were elected in the LDP 2012 landslide in DPJ leaning districts and belonged to the same LDP faction.

金子惠美

Miyazaki created a large controversy recently when he announced he will take paternity leave to help take care of the child that Kaneko just gave birth to just a few days ago.  He said he was doing it a symbol of gender equity in society where paternity leave is frowned upon.  Many in the opposition said the he is doing this only to get media attention.

This media attention lead to a recently revelations that Miyazaki is having an affair with an actress 宮澤磨由 (Miyazawa MigakuYukari) and was spending nights with her a couple of days before his wife was due to give birth.

宮澤磨由

The Japanese media took great glee repeatedly discussing how Miyazawa has a F-Cup size bra.  When this came to light, and I am pretty sure under pressure from Abe, Miyazaki resigned.

Miyazak's district which is the Kyodo 3rd district has a historical DPJ lean.  In 2014 the district was won by LDP because of the DPJ and JIP running separately.

LDP   35.8%
DPJ   33.1%
JCP   16.1%
JIP    15.0%

In 2012 it was

LDP   31.6%
DPJ   31.5%
JRP    22.5%
JCP    14.3%

The DPJ runner up who was represented this district 2003-2012 was elected on the PR slate in 2012 and 2014  is said to be eager to run in the by-election.  Looks like ORA will also run a candidate.  If there we a situation where the opposition should be able to win a by-election it should be this one.  of course LDP might be too embarrassed to run a candidate and might up backing a KP candidate or even backing ORA

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:52:09 am by jaichind »Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout