Israel general discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:41:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel general discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 74
Author Topic: Israel general discussion  (Read 227102 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: May 02, 2017, 12:23:51 PM »

While I agree that under international law that Israel can't unilaterally change international borders, I can't imagine a single reason why UNESCO should pass such a resolution.  It's not their job to point that out and it's counterproductive.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1026 on: May 05, 2017, 05:53:20 AM »

Meanwhile, Hamas tries to have its cake and eat it.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1027 on: May 06, 2017, 01:48:57 PM »

Hamas is clearly still reeling from the 2014 war and wants to avoid a conflict w/ Israel for the time being. Even with that in mind, its a bit confusing, to me at least, on what Hamas is trying to do.

Are they trying to get more PR-savvy by pretending to moderate? hard to tell. They are talking out of both sides of their mouths.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1028 on: May 06, 2017, 02:19:54 PM »

Hamas is clearly still reeling from the 2014 war and wants to avoid a conflict w/ Israel for the time being. Even with that in mind, its a bit confusing, to me at least, on what Hamas is trying to do.

Are they trying to get more PR-savvy by pretending to moderate? hard to tell. They are talking out of both sides of their mouths.
They don't give a toss about Israel in that manifesto, it's for interior Palestinian reasons and maybe some distance hope of mild legitimization in Europe to boost the financial situation in Gaza.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1029 on: May 14, 2017, 12:22:54 PM »

Why did the government closed channel 1?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1030 on: May 15, 2017, 05:04:26 AM »

It was garbage for decades, hardly anyone watched it and it was synonymous with public inefficiency (also very prone to political influence).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1031 on: May 15, 2017, 07:58:54 AM »

Willing to take a bet that Israel is not actually withdrawing from Eurovision.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1032 on: May 15, 2017, 08:25:43 AM »

It's not, the European media just misunderstood. Hopefully the new broadcasting corporation will be able to get us back in.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1033 on: May 15, 2017, 08:40:49 AM »

It's not, the European media just misunderstood. Hopefully the new broadcasting corporation will be able to get us back in.
They didn't misunderstand, Ofer Nachshon literally said that because he wanted to take a political jab at the government for shutting down the IBA.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1034 on: May 15, 2017, 09:01:57 AM »

Lets not split hairs over it, this a tournament where the Italian contender performed with a Gorilla.

Now politics:
Shelly gained support from most of National Electric Company workers which is interesting...the race became tighter now.
The Labour race is predictably very noisy. Peretz-backed FB pages spread all sorts of negative stories on Gabbay (who he sees as his rival). Margalit's re-branding as the leftist candidate gave him some boost but I'm not sure it could see him through to the second round. Levin is basically the leftier version of Bar-Lev and both seem rather thick talking about anything other than security. Herzog is running a bizarre desperate campaign sponsoring opening primaries for the entire centre-left bloc.

Serious concern in the right regarding Trump's imminent visit, especially of the possibility he will demand Bibi to present his 2-states border proposition. Instead of backing Livni to be a UN USG and getting rid of her, she's now working in full cooperation with Trump's envoy.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1035 on: May 15, 2017, 11:19:37 AM »

It was garbage for decades, hardly anyone watched it and it was synonymous with public inefficiency (also very prone to political influence).

the government closed a state-run channel cause it was prone to political influence?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1036 on: May 15, 2017, 12:59:19 PM »

the government closed a state-run channel cause it was prone to political influence?
Well the main reason was because it was garbage, there was an independent public broadcaster that was supposed to open instead but some political fiasco thwarted that plan
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1037 on: May 15, 2017, 10:34:36 PM »

Any official word on what will happen with Hatnuah? Have their MPs just joined Labor yet?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1038 on: May 16, 2017, 02:42:46 AM »

Any official word on what will happen with Hatnuah? Have their MPs just joined Labor yet?
Unclear, really depends on the primary results, but I could see most joining Labour
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1039 on: May 24, 2017, 03:16:33 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2017, 03:18:33 AM by Hnv1 »

With 30% of the votes counted (high turnout of 45%) Nissenkorn leads Yechimovic 59-41, full results tomorrow but I expect the margin to narrow not turn. So Shelly stays in the Knesset and will probably back Gabay for leadership.

* as suspected, countless claims of election fraud. Doesn't really matter
** I don't like Yechimovich but she ran Nissenkorn hard, impressive all in all when you consider she ran against a strong establishment and pretty much all the parties there including her own (part for shas)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1040 on: May 24, 2017, 01:45:46 PM »

With 30% of the votes counted (high turnout of 45%) Nissenkorn leads Yechimovic 59-41, full results tomorrow but I expect the margin to narrow not turn. So Shelly stays in the Knesset and will probably back Gabay for leadership.

* as suspected, countless claims of election fraud. Doesn't really matter
** I don't like Yechimovich but she ran Nissenkorn hard, impressive all in all when you consider she ran against a strong establishment and pretty much all the parties there including her own (part for shas)

I don't agree with her on everything, but I respect her. I really think that she was a much better candidate for the job than Nissenkorn, who is basically a corrupt member of the establishment that made the Worker's Organization so terrible.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1041 on: May 24, 2017, 03:58:11 PM »

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4967031,00.html

Czech parliament recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and calls for ending payments to UNESCO for its anti-Israel actions.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1042 on: May 25, 2017, 07:26:52 AM »

President Zeman is quite pro-Israel. I remember when he was Prime Minister in the 90s he suggested nuking the West Bank.

As far as I know, the parliamentary majority isn't favorable to him. I wonder what the party breakdown of that vote was.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1043 on: May 25, 2017, 07:29:31 AM »

President Zeman is quite pro-Israel. I remember when he was Prime Minister in the 90s he suggested nuking the West Bank.

As far as I know, the parliamentary majority isn't favorable to him. I wonder what the party breakdown of that vote was.

Yeah, leaving the whole of Israel in a radioactive cloud is a famously pro-Israeli position Tongue
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1044 on: May 25, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »

zeman is mostly a corrupt, soft-authoritarian drunkard but i am kind of impressed he is pro-israel.

isn't such a common stand between local "right-wingers".
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1045 on: May 25, 2017, 09:51:51 AM »

zeman is mostly a corrupt, soft-authoritarian drunkard but i am kind of impressed he is pro-israel.

isn't such a common stand between local "right-wingers".

Well culturally at least, he's a man of the left. He mostly just hates Muslims.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1046 on: May 25, 2017, 10:29:45 AM »

Well culturally at least, he's a man of the left. He mostly just hates Muslims.

i know, but i haven't seen a lot of difference between him and his "conservative" predecessor. Smiley
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1047 on: May 25, 2017, 10:07:05 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2017, 10:09:37 PM by DəvidB. »

Partisan breakdown of the Czech vote here. All parties voted for except for the Social Democrats (most abstained, 8 yea, 4 nay) and Communists (most opposed it). Czechia is pretty pro-Israel.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1048 on: May 28, 2017, 02:17:24 AM »

Netanyahu chose Ayoob Kara as Minister of Communications. He was previously a Minister Without Portfolio, and the first Druze Minister in Israeli history.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1049 on: May 28, 2017, 11:55:40 AM »

Partisan breakdown of the Czech vote here. All parties voted for except for the Social Democrats (most abstained, 8 yea, 4 nay) and Communists (most opposed it). Czechia is pretty pro-Israel.

do you know anything about this?

seems to be more the exception than the rule in the region.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies