Israel general discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:41:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel general discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 74
Author Topic: Israel general discussion  (Read 226493 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: February 05, 2016, 09:10:10 PM »

[M]ost young people in America (his base) are basically pro-Hamas.

Maybe if you define pro-Hamas as not seeing why America should prop up a successful first world country such as Israel.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #526 on: February 05, 2016, 09:21:45 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2016, 11:29:10 PM by Famous Mortimer »

Maybe if you define pro-Hamas as not seeing why America should prop up a successful first world country such as Israel.

No, I define being pro-Hamas as thinking Hamas is a "legitimate political party", a "left-wing force", and that their violence is generally understandable if not justified. Coupled with views that Zionism is inherently racist and that Israel has no right to exist as a Jewish state. These are pretty mainstream views among young people now.

Some of these feelings are inspired by bad US and Israeli policy. Most of them though are just a result of the dominant strains in campus culture. It doesn't matter if a Palestinian kills an Israeli child with a knife. The Israeli child probably had access to a cell phone, the internet, and a house with insulation. The Palestinian doesn't have those things so he is oppressed and thus, he is in the right. Who is more oppressed is the only moral logic that matters, at least that's what most young people think.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #527 on: February 05, 2016, 09:49:04 PM »

Ignore Mortimer, he usually talks nonsense and he apparently didn't set foot in an university since long.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #528 on: February 05, 2016, 11:32:17 PM »

You're right. I haven't been in college in about 10 years. Back then, they didn't teach this type of stuff, or if they did, it was just a few professors and nobody bought it, they just feigned it for a few papers until the semester was over. Now it's universally taught and universally believed.
Seneca
Rookie

« Reply #529 on: February 06, 2016, 01:03:21 AM »

You're right. I haven't been in college in about 10 years. Back then, they didn't teach this type of stuff, or if they did, it was just a few professors and nobody bought it, they just feigned it for a few papers until the semester was over. Now it's universally taught and universally believed.

The vulgar version of privilege theory you are referencing is absolutely not "universally taught" in college classrooms. Not by a long-shot. That ideology permeates within left activist circles well enough on its own; it doesn't need any help from that old Marxist Professor canard.

That said, vulgar privilege theory, what I'll call VPT for short, has absolutely been disastrous within the left. If I was conspiracy minded I might blame a Frank Luntz type spinster for inventing the thing. An obvious example of how VPT has damaged leftist politics can be found in the Occupy general assemblies. As in all large assemblies of equals, the initial participants found it necessary to appoint officers to insure conversation flowed and no one dominated speaking time. We might refer to the officer charged with facilitating the assembly as the "stack taker," as one of their primary roles would be to note who wished to speak so as to prevent 50 people from standing around with their hands raised, each thinking it as their turn to speak next. Unfortunately, as a consequence of VPT, certain activists introduced the idea of "Progressive stack."

Progressive stack incorporates the idea of privilege hierarchies into stack taking. In this system, those viewed as "most oppressed," that is to say non-whites, women, LGBT people, etc. were moved above their white, male, straight, etc. counterparts. As you might imagine, this well-meaning change proved disastrous. The supposedly privileged groups typically respond to progressive stack in one of two ways; they interpret it as a personal attack and leave the group, or the become passive. Each reaction weakens the assembly. Then, the supposedly "oppressed" people monopolize speaking time, oftentimes soap-boxing in the faces of facilitators who are too timid to cut them off. This time-wasting fatally damages the movement, causing the general assembly, which initially came together to accomplish some goals, to spin apart into a much smaller echo-chamber.

This style of politics is fundamentally impotent. VPT paralyzes social movements, encouraging an ideological discourse which is simultaneously guilt-ridden and paranoid. It is remarkably similar to the vulgar Maoism that infected the US left in the late sixties and early seventies. Just replace "check your privilege" with "criticize, self criticize" and you're most of the way there. If you're not a member of the activist left, I would frankly be overjoyed that VPT is becoming hegemonic within that political sphere. All a VPT inspired left will ever be is a punching bag for opposition groups, like the reactionaries who in recent years have taken over sites like reddit with rhetoric which demonizes the "SJWs" but which also carries clear white-supremacist and neo-fascist impulses.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #530 on: February 06, 2016, 05:03:14 AM »

A Poll of Israelis about the US presidential election:
Clinton: 41%
Trump: 14%
Cruz: 7%
Sanders: 5%
Rubio: 4%
No Opinion: 29%

obviously, it's mostly about name recognition at this point.
This. The average Israeli is very ignorant of American politics and he gets his info from Yediot or Israel Hayom. Yediot with their Haim Saban ties are very pro Clinton, and Israel Hayom like Sheldon Adelson is undecided yet. Trump is a populist and anti-muslim like some Israelis like, Clinton is very familiar and Bill was very popular here.
Sanders on the other hand gets mentioned only in Haaretz (though not to fondly) and is supported by facebook left wing dorks.

But my bet is Bibi would like either Rubio or Clinton to win with the former of course the first preference.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #531 on: February 06, 2016, 09:49:24 AM »

But my bet is Bibi would like either Rubio or Clinton to win with the former of course the first preference.
Bibi would obviously prefer Cruz over Clinton as well.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #532 on: February 06, 2016, 11:03:34 AM »

Bibi would obviously prefer Cruz over Clinton as well.
I'm not sure about it. Clinton is not going to cause him any problems regarding the Palestinian issue and will provide a stronger shield than what a Cruz regime could muster around the world. Clinton could block off European initiatives Cruz couldn't.

The interesting question is who would he least prefer Trump or Sanders.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #533 on: February 06, 2016, 11:10:26 AM »

I'm not sure about it. Clinton is not going to cause him any problems regarding the Palestinian issue and will provide a stronger shield than what a Cruz regime could muster around the world. Clinton could block off European initiatives Cruz couldn't.
I am not at all sure about this. The Democratic Party is changing and it is not going to return to the pre-Obama status-quo on Israel. A Clinton administration would be likely to push for new peace negotiations. A Cruz administration would not.

The interesting question is who would he least prefer Trump or Sanders.
This is a very hard question for me as well, and I hope it will not become relevant.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #534 on: February 07, 2016, 05:29:05 PM »

I am not at all sure about this. The Democratic Party is changing and it is not going to return to the pre-Obama status-quo on Israel. A Clinton administration would be likely to push for new peace negotiations. A Cruz administration would not.
Without some change on the part of the Israelis or the Palestinians, regardless of whether negotiations are held, there will be no change in the official situation.  I don't see Clinton doing anything beyond jaw-jaw to try and bring the two sides together.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #535 on: February 09, 2016, 09:17:47 AM »

Good news!  4 Hamas tunnels have collapsed in the last two weeks killing 10.
danny
Israel

« Reply #536 on: February 19, 2016, 04:54:24 PM »

New poll from Maariv:

Likud: 27
Yesh Atid: 18
ZU: 15
Joint List: 12
Jewish Home: 12
Yisrael Beitenu: 10
Shas: 7
UTJ: 6
Kulanu: 6
Meretz: 6
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #537 on: February 20, 2016, 11:50:46 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2016, 11:52:30 AM by DavidB. »

Herzogmentum! Curly The YUGE WALL proposal didn't really work for him, did it? Maybe it's because he's too low energy.

Right/religious parties at 72 seats (without Kulanu). Wonder when Zehut is going to take off and going to be polled.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #538 on: February 22, 2016, 04:29:44 AM »

inter election polls in Israel are only good to spot trends and the only clear ones here is Herzog's fall and Liberman's relative revival. Like always before a GE all sorts of gimmicks occur and we get a different electoral map.

Doubt Zehut will poll more than 2-3
danny
Israel

« Reply #539 on: March 09, 2016, 01:50:05 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2016, 01:51:49 PM by danny »

Channel one poll:

Likud: 25
Yesh Atid: 21
ZU: 15
Joint List: 13
Jewish Home: 12
Yisrael Beitenu: 8
UTJ: 7
Shas: 7
Meretz: 6
Kulanu: 6

The biggest change being the collapse of ZU (Herzog has been terrible) with the lost votes being gained by Lapid.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #540 on: March 09, 2016, 02:32:16 PM »

This is a fairly interesting article about the only remotely realistic way in which centrist/center-leftist parties might be able to oust Netanyahu.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #541 on: March 09, 2016, 06:19:46 PM »

This is a fairly interesting article about the only remotely realistic way in which centrist/center-leftist parties might be able to oust Netanyahu.

Interesting article, but the word "curious" appeared waaaay too many time in this piece haha
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #542 on: March 09, 2016, 06:43:43 PM »

Interesting article, but the word "curious" appeared waaaay too many time in this piece haha
Yeah, he's generally not the best writer. Maybe that's why he moved to Israel Smiley Still, his #analysis is often pretty good.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #543 on: March 21, 2016, 02:03:28 PM »

Even though Sanders is the most Israeli critical of all the serious presidential candidates, a lot of holier than thou leftists who are always anxious to call people out want to pin him as being pro-Israel. This is a major problem because most young people in America (his base) are basically pro-Hamas.

This Sanders supporter is Pro-Palestine. I'm not anti-Semitic, I'm against the terrorist state that is Israel. They're a parasitic country. The United States owes Israel nothing. My allegiance is to America, not Israel.

Remember: Israel needs America. Not the other way around.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #544 on: March 21, 2016, 05:34:29 PM »

Even though Sanders is the most Israeli critical of all the serious presidential candidates, a lot of holier than thou leftists who are always anxious to call people out want to pin him as being pro-Israel. This is a major problem because most young people in America (his base) are basically pro-Hamas.

This Sanders supporter is Pro-Palestine. I'm not anti-Semitic, I'm against the terrorist state that is Israel. They're a parasitic country. The United States owes Israel nothing. My allegiance is to America, not Israel.

Well, aren't you charming.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #545 on: March 21, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »

Israel is probably the only country that would rather want Trump more than even Hillary. We need to stop acting like they're our brothers and start treating them like other countries. I'm so sick of Israeli hypocrisy over the Jewish state nonsense while grabbing more land. It only hurts Americans.

Is there any center-leftist that can run for Labor leadership and win? At least give us some hope instead of replaying the cycle
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #546 on: March 21, 2016, 06:15:29 PM »

Well, aren't you charming.

I'm speaking the truth. AIPAC are complete scum who pull puppet strings in this country.

I'm proud to say I do not stand with Israel.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #547 on: March 21, 2016, 06:20:54 PM »

Israel is probably the only country that would rather want Trump more than even Hillary. We need to stop acting like they're our brothers and start treating them like other countries. I'm so sick of Israeli hypocrisy over the Jewish state nonsense while grabbing more land. It only hurts Americans.

Is there any center-leftist that can run for Labor leadership and win? At least give us some hope instead of replaying the cycle

Criticizing Israel is an unofficial crime in this country. We need someone to stand up to their atrocities.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #548 on: March 21, 2016, 07:33:07 PM »

You're not even repeating the old lies so we can rebuke you. You're just stringing together random negative buzzwords.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #549 on: March 21, 2016, 07:44:36 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2016, 09:16:31 PM by AlwaysBernie »

You're not even repeating the old lies so we can rebuke you. You're just stringing together random negative buzzwords.

What lies? That Menachem Begin and Yitzhak Shamir were terrorists? They were. That Israel oppresses Palestinian children and that the real monsters are the likes of Ayelet Shaked? It's completely true.

Let Israel stand for themselves. Let Netanyahu lead the fight against ISIL. I guess the Islamic State was amongst the enormous positive reverberations he was talking about when he went before Congress in 2002.

Israel has committed evil atrocities. We must divest and they must be sent to The Hague.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies