Israel general discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:36:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel general discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 74
Author Topic: Israel general discussion  (Read 227259 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: March 18, 2017, 07:54:16 AM »

Meretz convention rejected Galon's proposal for open primaries.  New leadership elections announced Avalon vs Gilon.

Derii has been making weird break the government noises, I wonder if he's just the messenger...

Ya'Alon to start a new party, Levi-Aboksis to start a new party, Feiglin's new party will hold open primaries

Looks like the election is coming soon. Any chance Levi-Aboksis changes her mind and joins Ya'Alon or something? We don't need yet another party, and she'll never pass the mark anyway. She's just not that great of a politician, just very principled.
Also, Avalon? Did you mean Galon or did I miss an awful lot in my school's annual trip?
Sorry, of course Galon.
As the polls look dismal for Ya'alon he may try to recruit her. But her electoral chances are better than his as I see it.

Jewish Home to have leadership primaries soon as well. Bennet vs. 2 nobody conservative rabbis
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #976 on: March 18, 2017, 01:03:49 PM »

According to Netanyahu lackey David Bitan, he has rescinded his agreements with Kahlon about the new Public Broadcasting Corporation, and it will not be allowed to start. A huge shame, since it looks like a fresh wind and a good replacement for the awful and dusty IBA.
This might be what will trigger the elections. I wonder if any indictment can be fielded against Netanyahu before it becomes much harder to do.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #977 on: March 18, 2017, 02:06:05 PM »

Herzog is making noises of trying to form an alternative government. For this feat to succeed, he'll need Yesh Atid, Kahlon, the Haredi Parties and Meretz. In other words, impossible.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #978 on: March 18, 2017, 02:45:13 PM »

You are off the mark, Likud has been trying to pick fights with junior partners for weeks now. This is Bibi's strategy, he does not want an indictment served.

If Lapid and Kachlon had any wits to them they would have let Herzog form a government for several months to see Bibi out, but there's no chance Isra-Trump Lapid will agree
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #979 on: March 18, 2017, 03:40:52 PM »

How does picking fights prevent an indictment?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #980 on: March 19, 2017, 01:03:05 AM »

How does picking fights prevent an indictment?
No Indictment will be served if there's an election going on, and a resounding victory pressures the prosecution not to serve it.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #981 on: March 19, 2017, 01:33:55 AM »

You are off the mark, Likud has been trying to pick fights with junior partners for weeks now. This is Bibi's strategy, he does not want an indictment served.

If Lapid and Kachlon had any wits to them they would have let Herzog form a government for several months to see Bibi out, but there's no chance Isra-Trump Lapid will agree

Yeah, I kept getting these crazy news updates whenever I  could check my phone, but this current thing seems to be the most explicit.

Meanwhile, Transportation Secretary Israel Katz (who already clashed with Bibi on the Shabbat train maintenance works) becomes the first Likud minister to speak up against Netanyahu, saying that going to elections because of the Broadcasting Corporation is mad.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #982 on: March 19, 2017, 02:37:09 AM »

Yeah, I kept getting these crazy news updates whenever I  could check my phone, but this current thing seems to be the most explicit.

Meanwhile, Transportation Secretary Israel Katz (who already clashed with Bibi on the Shabbat train maintenance works) becomes the first Likud minister to speak up against Netanyahu, saying that going to elections because of the Broadcasting Corporation is mad.
He's actually quite clever, Bibi is as we speak on a plane to the PRC, the first things his staffes are going to see when off the plane would be quite alarming...

The trio of Herzog, Kachlon, Rivlin will do everything in their power to try form an alternative government, even a minority one
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #983 on: March 19, 2017, 05:43:30 AM »

Both Bennet ad Lieberman oppose an early election. Bibi is in quite a pickle
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #984 on: March 19, 2017, 06:24:38 AM »

Bennet? Odd. Why would he not want an election where he's likely to gain?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #985 on: March 19, 2017, 06:50:47 AM »

He and Shaked are sitting in good positions and want to have more impact (especially with 2 more nominations for the supreme court next year), and he would rather go to an election from the opposition on some right wing platform not the media.
Liberman wants more time as MoD to consolidate is position as elder statesman.

question is what will they do if Bibi seems determined to pull the trigger, will they support a Kachlon temporary government?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #986 on: March 19, 2017, 07:32:33 AM »

He and Shaked are sitting in good positions and want to have more impact (especially with 2 more nominations for the supreme court next year), and he would rather go to an election from the opposition on some right wing platform not the media.

question is what will they do if Bibi seems determined to pull the trigger, will they support a Kachlon temporary government?

I think Lapid will really be the determining factor here. I don't see Bennet and most of the Labour MKs ever sitting in the same government, while Lapid has been rescinding his anti-Haredi rhetoric. The problem is that he probably wants an election while the momentum is with him.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #987 on: March 19, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »

I think Lapid will really be the determining factor here. I don't see Bennet and most of the Labour MKs ever sitting in the same government, while Lapid has been rescinding his anti-Haredi rhetoric. The problem is that he probably wants an election while the momentum is with him.
Also Peretz and other Labour contenders might thwart it...stupid people who can't think strategically. Peretz and Lapid with their massive bloated ego especially
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #988 on: March 19, 2017, 01:56:12 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2017, 01:59:18 PM by Parrotguy »

Also Peretz and other Labour contenders might thwart it...stupid people who can't think strategically. Peretz and Lapid with their massive bloated ego especially

Omer Bar Lev also tweeted his opposition to going for an alternative government. It's funny because he might not even survive as an MK if an election is held now.
Also, Erel Margalit tweeted that Labour must elect a leader in the next 30 days and prepare for elections. It seems to contradict his previous agenda.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #989 on: March 27, 2017, 12:27:19 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2017, 07:40:21 AM by DavidB. »

It would be good for the ideological direction of Likud to be out of the government for a while, but it would probably not be good for Israel to have another party take over control, even if I'm obviously very critical of Likud's record on many issues (most importantly the economy/oligopolies/costs of living/poverty). I also don't believe Lapid will truly win an election. People will eventually turn out for Netanyahu; 2015 all over again.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #990 on: April 03, 2017, 06:19:17 AM »

Former Education and Interior Minister and Bibi rival Gideon Sa'ar will announce his return to politics this evening.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #991 on: April 03, 2017, 02:22:01 PM »

So is an election definitely happening this year? Things seem to have quieted down.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #992 on: April 03, 2017, 02:26:06 PM »

So is an election definitely happening this year? Things seem to have quieted down.

Probably not because of the broadcasting corporation- Kachlon bent and is currently allowing our corrupt Prime Minister to destroy Israeli democracy.
The investigations against Netanyahu continue but are going slower than expected, so to me it looks like it might slow to a halt, but if the investigations do escalate I see Netanyahu going mad over some issue again just to cause elections, so at this point, who knows?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #993 on: April 04, 2017, 12:43:45 PM »

I'll put my money on this autumn. Or the very least early 2018
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #994 on: April 04, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2017, 12:50:44 PM by Parrotguy »

By the way, Labour leadership elections are officially in 4th of July. According to the bot in the phone poll I got today, recent polling indicates that Peretz and Gabay are leading.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #995 on: April 06, 2017, 10:11:28 AM »

Poll of Labour's cadre:
Gabay 22%
Peretz 21%
Margalit 10%
Bar Lev 10%
Herzog 7% (lol)
Undecided 29%

Second round
Gabay 55%
Peretz 45%

Shame on margalit but at least Peretz misses out

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #996 on: April 06, 2017, 11:01:35 AM »

Poll of Labour's cadre:
Gabay 22%
Peretz 21%
Margalit 10%
Bar Lev 10%
Herzog 7% (lol)
Undecided 29%

Second round
Gabay 55%
Peretz 45%

Shame on margalit but at least Peretz misses out

I think that this one was requested by Gabay, since it has him in the runoff. Another one I got yesterday was probably from Margalit, since it had him in the runoff.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #997 on: April 06, 2017, 12:13:46 PM »

The wishful thinking and borderline messianic obsession with wanting a new election in this thread is a bit amusing to me.

DavidB is, thankfully, right that Bibi would likely win the next election if it was called soon. However, it would hurt a good amount of his coalition partners.

Yisrael Beiteinu hasn't really proved its worth yet in the government (though, they have been more mild and consistent then I thought they would be at this point).

Kulanu would suffer massive losses if an election is called. Kahlon is not a good party leader and should really come home to Likud. Michael Oren and Yoav Galant were rumored to want to run in Likud primaries I remember hearing a few months ago. is this still true?

The Jewish Home opposes going to elections for the reasons outlined by Hnv1. I also don't think they would do as good as people think they would. They are just as ideologically bland and fake as Likud, the ZU and Yesh Atid, imo.

Also, none of Likud's opponents are in a position to win. Yair Lapid and Yesh Atid may have more public support but what coalition would they be able to form? religious parties will likely never sit w/ him.

ZU continues to be a joke and will continue to be so if Herzog stays on as leader.

a Ya'alon led party would be great for sh*ts an giggles but I don't think it would go very far.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #998 on: April 06, 2017, 02:19:21 PM »

Sorry to be a pain, but what factions/ideologies/positions etc. do the labour candidates represent?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #999 on: April 06, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »

The wishful thinking and borderline messianic obsession with wanting a new election in this thread is a bit amusing to me.

DavidB is, thankfully, right that Bibi would likely win the next election if it was called soon. However, it would hurt a good amount of his coalition partners.

Yisrael Beiteinu hasn't really proved its worth yet in the government (though, they have been more mild and consistent then I thought they would be at this point).

Kulanu would suffer massive losses if an election is called. Kahlon is not a good party leader and should really come home to Likud. Michael Oren and Yoav Galant were rumored to want to run in Likud primaries I remember hearing a few months ago. is this still true?

The Jewish Home opposes going to elections for the reasons outlined by Hnv1. I also don't think they would do as good as people think they would. They are just as ideologically bland and fake as Likud, the ZU and Yesh Atid, imo.

Also, none of Likud's opponents are in a position to win. Yair Lapid and Yesh Atid may have more public support but what coalition would they be able to form? religious parties will likely never sit w/ him.

ZU continues to be a joke and will continue to be so if Herzog stays on as leader.

a Ya'alon led party would be great for sh*ts an giggles but I don't think it would go very far.

To be honest, I'd prefer an alternative government over an election. But I'm also feeling immense fear for Israeli democracy under the unstable, paranoid, corrupt, power-hungry Netanyahu of 2017, so yes, I really want him replaced by an election or indiction.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies