Israel general discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:37:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel general discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 74
Author Topic: Israel general discussion  (Read 226778 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1175 on: August 17, 2017, 09:00:21 PM »

My comments are basically being randomly deleted at this point.
welcome to the new and improved International Board!
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1176 on: August 18, 2017, 08:22:11 AM »

Parrotguy, do you think the next election will see a coalition of Zionist Union, Kulanu, and Yesh Atid? Or would Meretz probably have to be included?

Nope, this won't hurt Netanyahu. I believe he's going to be indicted soon, so the likeliest scenario in the next election is another Likud coalition, probably with a different leader. But I just felt so much disgust when I saw people who claim to be the most zionist in the world fail so much at disavowing Nazis out of pure political interest.

Ze'ev Elkin, Tzachi Hanegbi, Avi Dichter, Miri Regev, or Nir Barkat are my ideal choices to replace Netanyahu, though I suspect Erdan or Edelstein will succeed Netanyahu.

You truly want Prime Minister Miri Regev? She's the complete opposite of most politicians you seem to support. That would really make me start planning how to immigrate.

I don't support her at all on immigration or Palestine, but so many other issues come into play when dealing with a party as bad as Likud. If Likud were to elect a female who supports SSM and LGBT+ rights, I truly believe it would keep the... worse elements of Likud from stepping forwards.

Regev IS the worst elements, a populist loudmouth who basically wears a personality which, as she herself admitted, appeals to the "warm Likud members". Her allegedly moderate position on LGBT rights is shared by many Likud members, and like all of them, including MK Amir Ohana (who's gay himself), she never votes or does anything substantial to help the LGBT community. She's a fraud and in my opinion would be worse than Trump.

She's the highest ranking member I know of to support LGBT rights, and she's not an "old guard" extremist.
Define support gay rights. You won't see her voting for SSM. I don't know what old guard extremist means but she's the worst kind of populist. But it's a void talk, she's not going to lead Likud.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1177 on: August 18, 2017, 10:45:02 AM »

Regev is one of those people who managed to rise through the ranks of Likud because she's popular among the base while not actually smart enough to pose a serious threat to Bibi.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1178 on: August 19, 2017, 09:19:08 PM »

An Old Guard person in America is typically someone who vehemently defends the policies of the past, and is typically advanced in years. An Old Guard extremist would be someone like Robert Taft or Walter Judd in the 1960s.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1179 on: August 20, 2017, 06:07:06 AM »

What are the positions of the likely successors to Bibi on the Palestinian issue?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1180 on: August 20, 2017, 09:23:05 AM »

Gilad Erdan: Basically the same as Netanyahu but doesn't even bother to pay lip service to the idea of a Palestinian state in the course of supporting the indefinite continuation of the status quo.

Yuli-Yoel Edelstein: Same

Gideon Saar: Same

Miri Regev: Same

Yisrael Katz: Same but wants to build a giant artificial island in the Mediterranean.

Ze'ev Elkin: Former member of Kadima so he supported a Palestinian state at one point but he definitely doesn't anymore.

Tzachi Hanegbi: Former member of Kadima so he supported a Palestinian state at one point but I don't think he has bothered to be explicit since then.

Avi Dichter: Former member of Kadima so he supported a Palestinian state at one point and I think he may actually still back one hypothetically

Nir Barkat: Don't know for sure but I'm guessing he was pro-Palestinian state in the past but it doesn't matter. He could be anything at this point. Nothing too out of the ordinary though.

Basically no candidate is likely to shift the Overton window much at all. If there was going to be a candidate to do that, to run on a platform of annexation of the West Bank, it would be Tzipi Hotovely.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1181 on: September 09, 2017, 06:56:24 AM »

Netanyahu's son posted a meme smelling of antisemitism against his father's opposition, edited from a blatantly antisemitic meme. He even added Soros to the new meme, as if it wasn't antisemitic enough.

News at 11.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1182 on: September 09, 2017, 02:58:50 PM »

Netanyahu's son posted a meme smelling of antisemitism against his father's opposition, edited from a blatantly antisemitic meme. He even added Soros to the new meme, as if it wasn't antisemitic enough.

News at 11.

Got a link? I want to see how one Semite accuses another Semite of being anti-Semitic.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1183 on: September 09, 2017, 04:44:44 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2017, 04:48:03 PM by Parrotguy »

News at 11.

Got a link? I want to see how one Semite accuses another Semite of being anti-Semitic.

I do not accuse him of being antisemitic, not at all. But I do accuse him of ignorance and of foolishly encouraging antisemitic rhetoric.

Here: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.811374
danny
Israel

« Reply #1184 on: September 09, 2017, 06:39:12 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2017, 06:47:08 PM by danny »

I looked at this Facebook page that Yair Netanyahu recommended and where he got his meme from, and the problem isn't that it's anti-Semitic, it's isn't (contrary to what some journalists seem to think, using Pepe memes doesn't mean your'e Anti-Semitic).

What it is though is full of Trumpian style crap where "haha leftist tears" becomes a goal, and it supports violence against leftists and blames all its opponents of anti-Semitism, and has strong support for Pinochet.

So despite not agreeing with the whole anti-Semitic part, I'm certainly not pleased with the PM's son sharing this kind of crap.

Also, just like with Trump, memes and violent rhetoric against leftists comes instead of actual ideological conservatism, which the website doesn't have much of. It's just low brow pro Likud pro Bibi site that spends a lot of its time attacking Feiglin.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1185 on: September 09, 2017, 06:48:01 PM »

I looked at this Facebook page that Yair Netanyahu recommended and where he got his meme from, and the problem isn't that it's anti-Semitic, it's isn't (contrary to what some journalists seem to think, using Pepe memes doesn't mean your'e Anti-Semitic).

What it is though is full of Trumpian style crap where "haha leftist tears" becomes a goal, and it supports violence against leftists and blames all its opponents of anti-Semitism, and has strong support for Pinochet.

So despite not agreeing with the whole anti-Semitic part, I'm certainly not pleased with the PM's son sharing this kind of crap.

As I said, I do agree that this page is not antisemitic. But the use of an originally antisemitic meme, replacing the stereotyped "Jewish face" with real life Jews like Soros and Ehud Barak, certainly isn't doing any favours and, I'd say, could embolden actual Anti-Semitism. Also, getting complimented by David Duke for a meme you shared isn't something one should strive for.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1186 on: September 10, 2017, 02:45:52 AM »

News at 11.

I do not accuse him of being antisemitic, not at all. But I do accuse him of ignorance and of foolishly encouraging antisemitic rhetoric.

Here: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.811374

Fair enough. My mistake.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1187 on: September 10, 2017, 02:56:49 AM »

We're witnessing a split in world Jewry right before our eyes. It's been a long time coming but it's finally happening. Current official leftism is completely incompatible with Zionism. Half of the Jewish diaspora (a majority of Jews under 35) are going to become uniformly anti-Zionist and leftist. The older, Zionist Jews are going to be forced to embrace the right, reluctantly or not. This meme is historic.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1188 on: September 10, 2017, 06:39:57 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2017, 07:04:35 AM by DavidB. »

Yair Netanyahu is based af.

We're witnessing a split in world Jewry right before our eyes. It's been a long time coming but it's finally happening. Current official leftism is completely incompatible with Zionism. Half of the Jewish diaspora (a majority of Jews under 35) are going to become uniformly anti-Zionist and leftist. The older, Zionist Jews are going to be forced to embrace the right, reluctantly or not. This meme is historic.
Nah.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1189 on: September 10, 2017, 07:17:45 AM »

Also, just like with Trump, memes and violent rhetoric against leftists comes instead of actual ideological conservatism, which the website doesn't have much of. It's just low brow pro Likud pro Bibi site that spends a lot of its time attacking Feiglin.
That page is also overtly homophobic (look at the name) and anti woman.  It's an exact copycat of an alt right page

Anyway his previous attack on Olmert's son led to the latter absolutely bashing him on Facebook, so may this trend continues, he may be a "heir" in his mind but his public image is being shattered by his media actions as a total wanker
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1190 on: September 10, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »

Interestingly, certain elements of the alt-right actually draw inspiration from Israel.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1191 on: September 12, 2017, 12:31:45 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2017, 12:35:22 PM by Hnv1 »

SC struck down the draft law (which had all sorts of loops and quotas deemed unconstitutional). Now this was expected during the legislation but the Israeli law angle is uninteresting here. politically: if someone was looking for an issue to topple the government then ding ding ding. (Haredi parties will die for this)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1192 on: September 13, 2017, 12:08:44 AM »

SC struck down the draft law (which had all sorts of loops and quotas deemed unconstitutional). Now this was expected during the legislation but the Israeli law angle is uninteresting here. politically: if someone was looking for an issue to topple the government then ding ding ding. (Haredi parties will die for this)

UTJ and Shas will be furious, but are they furious at the government or just at the courts? I'm not sure why they'd leave Netanyahu's government and provoke an early election when the government isn't the reason that the law was struck down.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1193 on: September 13, 2017, 03:46:51 AM »

UTJ and Shas will be furious, but are they furious at the government or just at the courts? I'm not sure why they'd leave Netanyahu's government and provoke an early election when the government isn't the reason that the law was struck down.
They'll want a new bill even more in their favor, the government can't provide.

In other news MK Guetta of Shaw was forced to resign for attending a gay wedding
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1194 on: September 13, 2017, 03:51:12 AM »

In other news MK Guetta of Shaw was forced to resign for attending a gay wedding

According to Haaretz, Litzman said that the Supreme Court overturned the draft law because it's trying to bring down the government. So yes, seems you're right.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1195 on: September 13, 2017, 05:05:16 AM »

According to Haaretz, Litzman said that the Supreme Court overturned the draft law because it's trying to bring down the government. So yes, seems you're right.
In general SC has been very active yesterday, in what went unnoticed but bothers Haredi MKs even more it ruled that you can present some sort of an alternative Kosher certificate (while stating it's not official).

now that hurts their pockets...
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1196 on: September 17, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-israel-protest/ultra-orthodox-protesters-arrested-in-violent-clash-in-jerusalem-idUKKCN1BS0U8

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1197 on: September 18, 2017, 01:28:29 PM »

That lad is a grandson of some big Rabbi of the extremist sect that aren't even wiling to go file exemption forms.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1198 on: September 18, 2017, 04:57:29 PM »

Are there any other religious groups in Israel that get such a ludicrously unsustainable sweetheart deal?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1199 on: September 18, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »

Are there any other religious groups in Israel that get such a ludicrously unsustainable sweetheart deal?

I guess most Muslim and Christian religious leaders in Israel are satisfied with their monopoly over marriage, with no civic option. And they don't have to serve in the army, either. But the Haredim really are a special case- their outsized political power lets them trample over the general population on their way to enforcing religious laws and earning special benefits for their population.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies