Halloween: The most sexist children’s holiday?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:09:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Halloween: The most sexist children’s holiday?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Is Halloween a sexist Holiday?
Yes

No

Albert Einstein sans mustache?!  That's just stupid.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Halloween: The most sexist children’s holiday?  (Read 12145 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 11:19:47 PM »
« edited: October 29, 2011, 11:45:17 PM by yeoman shua »

How ridiculous...  if the little girl wants to dress as a ballerina or a solider and vice versa for the boys... who cares?

I'm going to a Halloween as a 'Venetian Vampire'.. what does that tell you?
You're helping Shylock get his pound of flesh?
The Mikado
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 11:37:41 PM »

Again, this:

Is a Halloween costume.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 12:32:15 AM »

My 1 year old daughter will be going out as an astronaut.  We got the idea when she started walking around with a plastic cake lid on her head. My dad has some silver dryer tubes we'll be using as arms or legs.

I would hope that she would not go as anything to stereotypical in the future. But, I've never really thought of Halloween as being too sexist.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 02:29:07 AM »

How ridiculous...  if the little girl wants to dress as a ballerina or a solider and vice versa for the boys... who cares?

I'm going to a Halloween as a 'Venetian Vampire'.. what does that tell you?

That you have impeccable taste apparently.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 07:21:30 AM »

When I clicked on the thread I mis-read it as "sexiest" instead of sexist. I was thinking there'd be some discussion on those skimpy adult female costumes we all love so much.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 02:27:29 AM »

We just got our first trick or treater of the evening. Mum gave them saladas.

Bloody American cultural contagion.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 04:15:57 AM »

I wish people would just enjoy it for what it is. An opportunity to escape are ridiculously pathetic lives and become someone else. It's the actor in me, I guess. I love having it cause it means you can be whoever you imagine for a short while.

It's also about candy. It's the only time of year I even eat candy anymore.

I'm going to enjoy it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 12:20:58 PM »

It's also about candy. It's the only time of year I even eat candy anymore.

And because municipalities and counties never took to putting Jack-0-Lanterns on courthouse lawns, we never had the deluge of Grinches saying, "hey, you can't celebrate All Hallows Eve with public money" and ruin it the way they do with the various pagan trappings of Christmas.

Well, my son wants me to go trick-or-treat with him tonight, so I went to the Goodwill Store yesterday and got a pair of black women's Capri pants, and a frilly white shirt, some dark stockings, and a nice black vest, loose with a big brass buckle on front.  At the dollar tree I got a black eyepatch and a large plastic, but realistic-looking, cutlass, a big loop earring, and a black bandanna with skull and crossbones on the front.  It all makes for a nice pirate outfit with black Doctor Marten's airware boots.  I wore it to class today.  I'd spent all of nine dollars on my outfit, and so I wanted to get as much mileage out of it as possible.

My son's school parade is at 2:30, so I'll stop by there and watch it.  The mall near my house has treats from 4 till 6 pm, then the neighborhood trick-or-treat time is from 6 till 8 pm.  

Last night we carved a face on a pumpkin and put a candle in it.  For the front porch.  I guess my wife will stay at home and pass out tooth decay.  It's all good.

Speaking of sexism, my entire outfit, except for the boots and accessories, are all women's wear.  The pants, vest, shirt, and socks are from the ladies section of Goodwill.  I sort of expected to have to get the Capri pants there, because men's Capri pants haven't been fashionable since the early 80s, but I'd really expected to find a frilly pirate shirt and vest in the men's stuff.  I was looking around, and an associate walked up to me and asked, "Can I help you?"  She looked like she was about 18.  I asked, "Do you have any frilly, lacy men's shirts?"  And she looked at me strangely.  And I said, "you know, like you'd wear with a tuxedo.  In the 70s."  And she still looked confused.  And I said, "Think Wayne Newton in Las Vegas."  And I snapped my fingers and hummed some tunes.  She still looked confused, so I figured that it all went over her head.  I guess those just don't exist anymore.  Man, I still remember my first tuxedo.  I was seven years old and it was 1974.  It had a light blue, polyester bell-bottomed pant and a light blue polyester jacket with huge Disco Stu lapel.  Light blue polyester vest too, with big golden buttons.  Very fashionable then.  Black platform shoes.  Musta been 3-inch heels.  Very chic.  And my shirt was very frilly.  Huge Blue bow tie.  Clip on.  It was the height of fashion.  Fashion was so fun back in the 70s.  And in the 80s as well, when I was in high school.  Different, but just as fun.

Anyway, none of those things exist anymore, so I had to shop ladies wear for my pirate outfit.  Luckily Iowa has quite a few women large enough to provide me a pirate outfit that fits.  
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 08:50:43 PM »

I went as my religion teacher (info, background, & hopefully photos coming soon).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 09:00:11 PM »

I went as my religion teacher (info, background, & hopefully photos coming soon).

Nice. 

I did the pirate I mentioned.  Big hit in class today.

My son did Barney at school, and the mummy in our neighborhood tonight. 

I just blew out the candle in the pumpkin, and carried it inside.  Glad it's all over.

Ever notice that Halloween is only once a year, but we have to go to the dentist twice a year?  Sometimes what happens in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2014, 12:29:36 PM »

we're still waiting for the photos, cathcon.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2014, 01:00:10 PM »

When I clicked on the thread I mis-read it as "sexiest" instead of sexist. I was thinking there'd be some discussion on those skimpy adult female costumes we all love so much.

Those... They're quite fine on consenting adults, but when you see something like this;

On a seven-year old, then you realize Halloween is both the sexiest and the most sexist holiday in this country.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2014, 01:01:19 PM »

It's the culture that's sexist. Halloween is just an example of it.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 01:24:01 PM »

no of course not, christmas and valentines are much worse
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »

Wait how is Christmas sexist?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2014, 01:54:57 PM »

the way women are shown in all the holiday commercials can get pretty gross. although at least they're not dumpy moronic man-apes like the average white man on american tv (if he's not gay)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2014, 02:11:04 PM »

You could argue its the epitome of traditional gender roles.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 08:26:08 PM »

I'll drive the sleigh and oversee the toymaking by the elves while you show up at photo-ops and fill my pipe.  Hmmm.  It doesn't really sell magazines.  

Boys as Ninjas and superheros and girls as Snow White sells magazines.

Nowadays you can buy a mullet wig or a blood-stained war axe.  You should see these stores that open up in the mall in mid-September and stay open for six weeks.  I never really thought of them as sexist, but they're definitely kitschy.  The one nearest me has a huge spider with red LED eyes that jumps at you when you walk in the door.  Scared the hell out of me the first time.  I think I let escape an audible cry and experienced immediate humiliation as the high school girls working the register giggled at my dismay.  
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2014, 05:26:18 PM »

Did...NYE just admit to being attracted to seven year-old girls?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2014, 05:42:48 PM »

On a seven-year old, then you realize Halloween is both the sexiest and the most sexist holiday in this country.

Quoted for the authorities.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2014, 06:17:47 PM »

That's not where I was going, though I can see why you'd think that. The intended effect was more to say that while these costumes would be fine on adults, they're horrific on children, who are the people  actually in costume on Halloween.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2014, 09:06:39 AM »

That's not where I was going, though I can see why you'd think that. The intended effect was more to say that while these costumes would be fine on adults, they're horrific on children, who are the people  actually in costume on Halloween.

Yeah I got it.  You just had a very hilarious way with words that didn't work out so well.

Related article: http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/skimpy-halloween-costumes-kids-concern-parents-researchers

I mean wow, really guise?  "Cop Cutie"?  What the flying blue monkey dipped in molten lava rocks with Columbian cocaine dealers and rock candy fuck?!
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2014, 01:53:51 AM »

You know CNN, if you think a Halloween costume is sexist, instead of whining and giving the makers publicity, how about you just don't buy the costume? It'll meet your goal a lot better.

Besides, what if the girl just simply want to wear girly costumes? Gender norms are not sexist when voluntary.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2014, 01:01:38 PM »

That's not where I was going, though I can see why you'd think that. The intended effect was more to say that while these costumes would be fine on adults, they're horrific on children, who are the people  actually in costume on Halloween.

Yeah I got it.  You just had a very hilarious way with words that didn't work out so well.

Related article: http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/skimpy-halloween-costumes-kids-concern-parents-researchers

I mean wow, really guise?  "Cop Cutie"?  What the flying blue monkey dipped in molten lava rocks with Columbian cocaine dealers and rock candy fuck?!

*Colombian you f**king gringo Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies