Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 06:00:58 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Election What-ifs? (Moderators: Bacon King, Dallasfan65)
| | |-+  Advanced mapmaking for your timeline!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Advanced mapmaking for your timeline!  (Read 3680 times)
Bacon King
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2013, 08:46:37 pm »

I saw this awesome post by Pessimistic Antineutrino and I'm giving it a dedicated thread to give it the attention it deserves. I wondered for years before I figured it out and I'm sure this well be plenty of help to you guys. Smiley

By the way, changing the color to orange is actually pretty simple. Open the map link in another tab. (Just copy/paste the url minus the img tags.) In the url you should see something like this:

AL=2;9;6

This shows the state abbreviation followed by its color, number of EV's, and percentage of vote (divided by ten). This way you could do away with the calculator itself and freely manipulate values on the map itself.

In this map, I made Alabama 30% yellow with 1 EV. The key for colors is as follows:

0=gray
1=red
2=blue
3=green
4=yellow
≤5=orange

In this map, I made several states varying shades of orange. By changing the value of percent, I can access 20% shade, which was used for "No Vote" before the Civil War. I have California chaded in the manner, with Nevada next to it in 30%. By using a percentage value lower than 2 or higher than 9, the state becomes white, like I did with Colorado.

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.

PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 10:00:11 pm »
Ignore

AWESOME!

Sanders/Schweitzer 2016!!!!

PJ for Senate!

I'm straight and not allowed to marry someone of the same gender. Why should gays have preferential treatment and be allowed to do so?
PolitiJunkie
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 02:20:06 pm »
Ignore

In a 2016 simulation where the most liberal/conservative wings of each party break off and form their own parties, and those new parties win the states/districts where the 2012 candidate of their original party received 60% or more of the vote...

Democratic Party: 213 EV
Republican Party: 158 EV
Peace and Freedom Party: 119 EV
Christian Liberty Party: 48 EV

Note that these are not my actual predictions; this is just me testing the mapmaking based on 2012 numbers. Realistically, the green party would catch on in more states (MS, LA, NE, KS, etc.) and the orange party would catch on in very few states as long as the Democrats ran candidates that are liberal enough.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:01:51 pm by PolitiJunkie »Logged

Quote from: CNN/ORC Poll
8. As you may know, a bill that makes major changes to the country's health care system became law in 2010. Based on what you have read or heard about that legislation, do you generally favor or generally oppose it?

Favor: 38%
Oppose, too liberal: 39%
Oppose, not liberal enough: 11%
No opinion: 13%
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 07:07:23 pm »
Ignore

PJ for Senate!

I'm straight and not allowed to marry someone of the same gender. Why should gays have preferential treatment and be allowed to do so?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 07:08:05 pm »
Ignore

IT WORKED!!!

PJ for Senate!

Pessimistic Antineutrino
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 09:57:32 pm »
Ignore

Glad to have helped. Smiley

Just as a test, the 1800 election, placed over 1840. Orange = Democratic-Republican, Green = Federalist.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 10:57:02 pm »
Ignore

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 11:02:11 pm by HelpOklahoma »Logged
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 11:58:46 pm »
Ignore

Glad to have helped. Smiley

Just as a test, the 1800 election, placed over 1840. Orange = Democratic-Republican, Green = Federalist.

^note that using 1 as the percentage value makes it clear (and no EV number shows up in state). 0 shows white.

PolitiJunkie
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 11:52:34 am »
Ignore

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:02:56 pm by PolitiJunkie »Logged

8. As you may know, a bill that makes major changes to the country's health care system became law in 2010. Based on what you have read or heard about that legislation, do you generally favor or generally oppose it?

Enderman
Jack Enderman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 04:04:49 pm »
Ignore

2020 New electoral numbers (from my timeline):

Blue:Gained
Red:Lost
Green:No change

(these are also my predictions for the new electoral numbers in 2020.
PolitiJunkie
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 09:06:49 pm »
Ignore

LOL at Enderman's pipe dream of Texas gaining SIX EVs...

Enderman
Jack Enderman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 09:24:37 pm »
Ignore

Actually it was another effect of the second bubble bursting in 2017 2015, Texas, Montana, Idaho, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida were all affected by the new, cheap houses there because of California, New York and Virginia's skyrocketing house prices... Oh and it did make Texas, Louisiana, Montana and Mississippi much more red (atlas red that is...) and others less blue.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:13:07 pm by EndermanOfFlorida »Logged
PolitiJunkie
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 09:40:05 pm »
Ignore

Actually it was another effect of the second bubble bursting in 2017, Texas, Montana, Idaho, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida were all affected by the new, cheap houses there because of California, New York and Virginia's skyrocketing house prices... Oh and it did make Texas, Louisiana, Montana and Mississippi much more red (atlas red that is...) and others less blue.

Oh okay...I'll take the trade-off then. What timeline is this?

Enderman
Jack Enderman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 09:48:22 pm »
Ignore

Actually it was another effect of the second bubble bursting in 2017, Texas, Montana, Idaho, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida were all affected by the new, cheap houses there because of California, New York and Virginia's skyrocketing house prices... Oh and it did make Texas, Louisiana, Montana and Mississippi much more red (atlas red that is...) and others less blue.

Oh okay...I'll take the trade-off then. What timeline is this?

The Elections 2028-2088 one.... Actually I thought of doing 290 to win, but 300 is a "super-even" number so I picked that one, though it would have been more likely that it would've been 280 or 285 or 290, but I like the sound of having it be at 300.
IDS Speaker Flo
JacobTiver
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

P P P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 07:30:57 am »
Ignore

I still can't figure it out, unless I edit it in the browser :/

I see your point, and maybe we're debating over semantics, but the fact that about 1 million children are functionally homeless to me is a crisis.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 09:15:51 am »
Ignore

I still can't figure it out, unless I edit it in the browser :/

that's how you're supposed to do it Wink (sorry if you didn't get the memo Tongue )
IDS Speaker Flo
JacobTiver
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

P P P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 09:27:46 am »
Ignore

Thank you!

I see your point, and maybe we're debating over semantics, but the fact that about 1 million children are functionally homeless to me is a crisis.
Creativemind15
Rookie
P P
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 12:02:58 am »
Ignore

How can you make those maps without using PhotoShop? I need to make maps for a timeline I'm working on.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 07:21:26 am »
Ignore

How can you make those maps without using PhotoShop? I need to make maps for a timeline I'm working on.

okay this is how I always do this (and I promise I wont Alt+F4 you Wink ), you probably have one tab already open on the thread you are updating, so add another tab and Google (or Bing, Or Yahoo) the new tab to Atlas's Index Page... then if you look at the small app bar (the small pictures at the top) and go to the fifth one from the left, or the ninth from the right, (basically click the picture that has the calculator with the words: "evc" on it, so click that and it will take you to the EVC calculator!
Creativemind15
Rookie
P P
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 11:48:28 am »
Ignore

okay this is how I always do this (and I promise I wont Alt+F4 you Wink ), you probably have one tab already open on the thread you are updating, so add another tab and Google (or Bing, Or Yahoo) the new tab to Atlas's Index Page... then if you look at the small app bar (the small pictures at the top) and go to the fifth one from the left, or the ninth from the right, (basically click the picture that has the calculator with the words: "evc" on it, so click that and it will take you to the EVC calculator!
Thanks! Really appreciate it! But, there's one small problem. How do I get the maps from 1789-1836?
Enderman
Jack Enderman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 12:23:32 pm »
Ignore

Thanks! Really appreciate it! But, there's one small problem. How do I get the maps from 1789-1836?

To tell you the truth, I don't know... I think that Cathcon or BK might know! But for now, try this:

^note that using 1 as the percentage value makes it clear (and no EV number shows up in state). 0 shows white.

Bacon King
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 11:48:33 pm »

I know this is as late as all get out, but to get the older maps, simply change the part that says year=2012 (or whatever number) to the year you want it to be.

For example, here's a map posted by PolitiJunkie above:

And here's the same map, except I changed the year to 1824!

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.

badgate
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 01:39:18 am »
Ignore

Can anybody help me figure out how to add Puerto Rico to a map? For the 2024 election map in my TL All Stand Down.

Political Matrix Score
Economic: -6.32
Social: -4.17

"Hubert Humphrey must not have been considered very fun either."-Gilmore Girls
Enderman
Jack Enderman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 03:27:25 pm »
Ignore

Here's my prediction of the new map with the 2020 Census (and 2024 prediction)

Florida+1
Arizona+1
Georgia+1
Hawaii+1
Nevada+1
Colorado+1
Virginia+1
Texas+2

California-1
Indiana-1
Michigan-1
Arkansas-1