Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 16, 2017, 10:53:39 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2016 predictions are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Off-topic Board (Moderators: Gustaf, Torie, The Mikado)
| | |-+  Music Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] Print
Author Topic: Music Megathread  (Read 186671 times)
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 25, 2017, 09:33:55 am »
Ignore

The music video to the Ariana Grande-Iggy Azalea song "Problem" reminds me of matrix eigenvalues.

Does that make me a total nerd, or what?

Specifically, the rotating spirals in the video remind me of the 2x2 matrix [0 1] [-1 0], which rotates a figure 90 degrees, and which has i and -i as its eigenvalues.
Enduro
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 25, 2017, 01:58:57 pm »
Ignore

The last Alt-J single is great, it feels very theatrical and epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkuveBPhkII

Just listened to it, that was pretty good. I'll check out some more of their stuff later.

"Above all else, love each other deeply, for love can cover a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8
IceAgeComing
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: June 02, 2017, 09:29:53 am »
Ignore

there's some new-old Radiohead coming out soon; they've done a video for one of the unreleased songs and its pretty good (although based on live versions the other two songs are much better)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sFvFVkeGVg
Flameoguy

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 14, 2017, 11:48:37 am »
Ignore

Any U2 fans here? No? I'll show myself out.
FairBol
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #879 on: July 16, 2017, 12:24:10 pm »
Ignore

Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill is stuck in my head right now.  Smiley

FairBol (F-FL)
Candidate for Southern Chamber of Delegates

Also Andrew N. Harris, Esq, Attorney At Law (for game purposes)

I'm not actually from Florida, I just represent it on TV. Smiley

"These are the times that try men's souls" -- Thomas Paine

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice; moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue" -- Senator Barry Goldwater

PS4: JupBol16
Enduro
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: July 16, 2017, 12:32:33 pm »
Ignore

The 5 best albums of 2017 so far (my opinion, in no particular order)

Evolve by Imagine Dragons
A Girl, A Bottle, A Boat by Train
Lifer by MercyMe
DAMN. By Kendrick Lamar
Mission to Mars by Styx

"Above all else, love each other deeply, for love can cover a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8
Blue Dog Moderate
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.30

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: July 29, 2017, 02:05:17 pm »
Ignore

You guys should listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q_aRHT7BEM

And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idipMrfAZHk

And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYN8uOhzYwU

And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoiVfLM30uc

And finally this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR-ws5s9Yik

Read my latest: McCain's Way

#Sinema4Senate
Enduro
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 08, 2017, 06:51:46 pm »
Ignore

A new NF album is coming.

NJ is Better than TX
nj_dem

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 09, 2017, 11:15:18 pm »
Ignore

In light of recent events, I've been listening to a lot of songs to deal with the emotions. Out of all of them, this - Haru Haru by Big Bang - is definitely the most powerful, with such an emotional music video, even after a near-decade.
vanguard96
United States

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 10, 2017, 12:40:50 pm »
Ignore

Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill is stuck in my head right now.  Smiley

I listened to Genesis' debut album for the first time just recently. I am not a huge Gabriel fan, BTW. It's serviceable as a light psychedelic album in a sort of Procol Harum way. And there weren't any Space Oddity type stunners or The Court of the Crimson King that would really say these guys are heads and above the rest even though they have some really nice arrangements and guitar playing. I am not a prog for complexity sake type of person but of course their debut is nothing like Selling England by the Pound or Lamb Lies Down on Broadway that's for sure. The band themselves do not like it - is it the lack of passion - what is it in particular?

Interesting speaking of the band - first post-Gabriel album Wind and Wuthering of course and another famous collaborator with Gabriel - Kate Bush, I've got her first album - The Kick Inside on repeat these days - I actually prefer "Moving" to "Wuthering Heights" though and really like Andrew Powell's arrangements in addition to his Alan Parsons Project work, and Gilmour/Floyd connection he had a hand in key releases for Cockney Rebel and Be Bop Deluxe, two of my favorite acts.

In some ways I feel that aspects of art rock / art pop including Gabriel, Robert Fripp solo, Kate Bush and such were just as progressive in the true sense of the word than prog rock especially in the days of punk, reggae, & disco when the long album length tracks and mystical space / castle rock of early and mid-70's had fallen out of favor.

I am trying to give Gabriel a re-evaluation. I am not a fan of So (overhyped hit singles) but appreciate those 2 big mid-70's Genesis albums before he left the band considerably. With that in mind I am working my way through the other Genesis Gabriel albums to eventually get to Gabriel's string of self-titled solo albums from the late 70's - around the same time that Kate Bush debuted.

It was an interesting time as the prog format was moving on and aside from punk and disco so much else was going on that would shape the direction of things to come in the 80's and beyond.

I can really see with Kate's debut how it must have appealed so much to many visionary artists like Gabriel, Prince, and Bowie.

Are there any projects or collaborations you think I should seek out given I like those 2 prog albums and artists like Kate Bush, Eno, Bowie, King Crimson, Roxy Music, Prince, and so on?
VirginiaModerate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: August 10, 2017, 12:44:07 pm »
Ignore

The Roger Waters Us + Them tour is awesome. Went to the one in DC on August 4th. Love all classic rock, big Pink Floyd fan.

Veteran, United States Navy
Santander
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.39

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 10, 2017, 01:38:36 pm »
Ignore

Roger Waters is an open anti-Semite.

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. - 2 Chronicles 7:14
vanguard96
United States

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 10, 2017, 01:41:22 pm »
Ignore

The Roger Waters Us + Them tour is awesome. Went to the one in DC on August 4th. Love all classic rock, big Pink Floyd fan.

I grew to like PF from when I was in TN and they had an independent classic rock station that would play their longer album tracks as well the usual ones like the Wall Pt 2 and a few tracks from DSOTM. Yes, they played a bit more Southern rock than I liked - but they mixed it up a bit and didn't seem like the precursor of XM radio's generic channels.

It sort of hurt their rep to limit such a great band to so few songs just like mainstream US classic rock radio had done to post Ziggy, pre-Let's Dance David Bowie (same 3 songs over & over again). Fleetwood Mac is reduced to about 4-5 songs, Heart to maybe 3 songs, Led Zep, Sabbath, Rush, Yes same thing. Sad.

I wish I had been able to get overseas broadcasts from England, Europe, or even more independent programs I've heard about in places like NYC or Cleveland or Chicago from years' past.

VirginiaModerate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 11, 2017, 08:10:16 am »
Ignore

I grew to like PF from when I was in TN and they had an independent classic rock station that would play their longer album tracks as well the usual ones like the Wall Pt 2 and a few tracks from DSOTM. Yes, they played a bit more Southern rock than I liked - but they mixed it up a bit and didn't seem like the precursor of XM radio's generic channels.

It sort of hurt their rep to limit such a great band to so few songs just like mainstream US classic rock radio had done to post Ziggy, pre-Let's Dance David Bowie (same 3 songs over & over again). Fleetwood Mac is reduced to about 4-5 songs, Heart to maybe 3 songs, Led Zep, Sabbath, Rush, Yes same thing. Sad.

I wish I had been able to get overseas broadcasts from England, Europe, or even more independent programs I've heard about in places like NYC or Cleveland or Chicago from years' past.

Try these, two great rock stations in VA, both streaming with a great variety:

http://3wv.com/
http://wbig.iheart.com/

Veteran, United States Navy
vanguard96
United States

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 14, 2017, 08:29:31 am »
Ignore

I got the Purple Rain 3CD + 1 DVD special edition the other day. I still have not watched the DVD yet but the from the vault CD has some good ones on there from the key 1983-84 time frame. I wish they could have added the non-Prince music from the movie as well but that's another release I suppose.

Did anyone else get it?

Would you like to see any other Prince CDs get this kind of treatment - like Sign 'O' the Times for instance?
Senator R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.13

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: August 14, 2017, 09:01:25 am »
Ignore

I got the Purple Rain 3CD + 1 DVD special edition the other day. I still have not watched the DVD yet but the from the vault CD has some good ones on there from the key 1983-84 time frame. I wish they could have added the non-Prince music from the movie as well but that's another release I suppose.

Did anyone else get it?

Would you like to see any other Prince CDs get this kind of treatment - like Sign 'O' the Times for instance?

I've heard some of the stuff from the deluxe edition release and liked it. I picked up Purple Rain on vinyl when I was in Los Angeles and the deluxe edition was announced like literally a week after, so that was bad luck. I haven't watched the movie in a little while though.

vanguard96
United States

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 15, 2017, 03:30:45 pm »
Ignore

Listened to Genesis' Trespass the other day - definitely passion was missing from their debut on top of prog instrumentation. Much better and definitely worth a deeper dive.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout