Are tattoos a sin/morally wrong?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:30:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Are tattoos a sin/morally wrong?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Are tattoos a sin/morally wrong?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Are tattoos a sin/morally wrong?  (Read 6823 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2011, 03:10:47 PM »

Nope obviously. This woman is a Lutheran pastor:

Oh and note the guys in this band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XUeiYieYK4

I can't understand people who think tattoos are a sin with all the Christians that have them.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 03:21:40 PM »

I personally don't care for it, but it's not a sin.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 03:43:06 PM »

The argument that they are has to do with the whole "Man is made in God's image" thing and the idea that defacing your body is defacing God's image.  If you took that argument seriously, it'd probably apply to things like ear-piercings as well.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 04:00:23 PM »

Ugly=/=Sinful/morally wrong
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 04:43:45 PM »

I can't understand people who think tattoos are a sin with all the Christians that have them.

Because people who call themselves Christians NEVER do anything that could be considered sinful, obviously. Roll Eyes

If you are going to argue about what is or is not considered a sin in regards to the Christian faith then shouldn't you use the Bible, and not people, as your source? Looking up a few things in regards to this on Google, here's the passages that seem most relevant.

Leviticus 19:28 NIV: "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD."

Of course this is OT law, and it may be one of those one Christians don't feel they have to follow, and this may also be because at the time the practice was associated with witchcraft. But this NT passage may be interpreted to be against the practice:

1 Corinthians 3:16 NIV: "Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him; for God’s temple is sacred, and you are that temple."

Tattoos weren't the context of this, but nevertheless it could be interpreted to apply. Take it for what you will.

As to my personal stance on the question the question, I don't believe in the concept of sin. I personally don't have find there to be any ethical problems with people getting tattoos, though honestly I tend to find them unattractive on women.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 05:01:10 PM »

Uh oh, looks like another Dibble vs. BRTD clash.

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 05:26:36 PM »

They aren't sinful inherently, but they are inherently stupid, shortsighted, and ugly.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 11:01:25 PM »

They aren't sinful inherently, but they are inherently stupid, shortsighted, and ugly.

Oh, that's not always true. I have a friend who looks really good with a bit of skin art.
lowtech redneck
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 11:12:53 PM »

The argument that they are has to do with the whole "Man is made in God's image" thing and the idea that defacing your body is defacing God's image.  If you took that argument seriously, it'd probably apply to things like ear-piercings as well.

Or possibly even shaving.

I don't care myself, but so long as there is no explicit biblical prohibition and body modification does not interfere with the overall functioning of the human body, then I don't think it could reasonably be considered a sin as far as Christian theology is concerned.
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 12:06:40 AM »

Not a sin, but they just look terrible and you can't undo them.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 03:24:44 AM »

Not a sin, but they just look terrible and you can't undo them.

Yeah, you can. Although it's fairly painful.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 03:57:18 AM »

It's deeply morally wrong on the grounds that it covers up the naked.

Shirts cover up the naked too, but you can take those off.

Thus I don't care when men get them but women? That is like a crime against God (since God made nudity, and made it hot [and invented hotness] and thus wants people to be naked)
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 05:21:53 AM »

Bless your soul.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 09:42:05 AM »

obviously, the OT explicitly forbid tattoos and piercing - it was a practice of pagans (which is why those that have them today are usually on the wild side).  But that was under Moses' law.

Personally, I don't like any tattoos on a woman, no matter the size or location.  It's a huge turnoff and makes me question her common sense and where she has been - it would be an instant disqualifier.  I understand a girl who gets her ears pierced for earrings, but I draw a line at more than two piercings per ear, and the pierces have to be on the ear lobe.

Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 10:04:54 AM »

Personally, I don't like any tattoos on a woman, no matter the size or location.  It's a huge turnoff and makes me question her common sense and where she has been - it would be an instant disqualifier.  I understand a girl who gets her ears pierced for earrings, but I draw a line at more than two piercings per ear, and the pierces have to be on the ear lobe.

I never thought I'd agree with you on anything, but I do here
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 04:35:18 PM »

Because people who call themselves Christians NEVER do anything that could be considered sinful, obviously. Roll Eyes
Yeah, that opening post is so full of fail as to... uh. Yeah.
It's deeply morally wrong on the grounds that it covers up the naked.

Shirts cover up the naked too, but you can take those off.

Thus I don't care when men get them but women? That is like a crime against God (since God made nudity, and made it hot [and invented hotness] and thus wants people to be naked)
I've used the same semi-argument to argue against fake tits. Grin
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 08:54:48 PM »

My church probably would say so, but I don't think they necessarily are.  I wouldn't get a tattoo myself, but I don't think that it would be a sin to get a Christian tattoo.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 09:24:40 PM »

Tattoos in and of themselves are not a sin to God, but when you are talking about clergy, I have an entirely different (and higher) set of expectations.  Among these is that you don't act like you are just another guy or gal at the bar, or sport tattoos.  After all, if you are going to try to bring yourself down to my level, why on earth should I look up to you for spiritual support and advice?   

Call me a traditionalist, but it diminishes your spiritual authority in my eyes.  There need to be distinctions made (and maintained) between clergy and laity. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 11:19:27 PM »

Tattoos in and of themselves are not a sin to God, but when you are talking about clergy, I have an entirely different (and higher) set of expectations.  Among these is that you don't act like you are just another guy or gal at the bar, or sport tattoos.  After all, if you are going to try to bring yourself down to my level, why on earth should I look up to you for spiritual support and advice?   

Call me a traditionalist, but it diminishes your spiritual authority in my eyes.  There need to be distinctions made (and maintained) between clergy and laity. 

This shows an obvious difference in our perspectives on this that couldn't be any more distant clearly...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 11:24:52 PM »

No, just a stupid fad like SUVs and visors.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 11:34:26 PM »

No, just a stupid fad like SUVs and visors.

They certainly have been around far too long to be a "fad".
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 01:14:01 AM »

SUVs have been around a long time too, but they didn't get faddish until, oddly (or not), about the same time tattoos did.  "regular" people didn't get tattoos (or drive SUVs) before the late 80s early 90s.  I knew two people with tattoos back then and they were both truckers.  Now every girl gets one in her teens.  A tattoo doesn't make you "cool" and "edgy", it makes you a sheep.  Even more so if you get the same stupid "tribal" or barbwire or ass antlers that everybody else has.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 04:58:39 AM »

SUVs have been around a long time too, but they didn't get faddish until, oddly (or not), about the same time tattoos did. 

Really the main cause of SUVs becoming a 'fad' was the shrinking of the ordinary sedan (and the disappearance of the ordinary full-sized family station-wagon).

SUVs are less a fad than a continuation of what Americans have always wanted:

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 05:09:43 AM »

SUVs have been around a long time too, but they didn't get faddish until, oddly (or not), about the same time tattoos did.  "regular" people didn't get tattoos (or drive SUVs) before the late 80s early 90s.  I knew two people with tattoos back then and they were both truckers.  Now every girl gets one in her teens.  A tattoo doesn't make you "cool" and "edgy", it makes you a sheep.  Even more so if you get the same stupid "tribal" or barbwire or ass antlers that everybody else has.
I read a text some while ago where the author, apparently my age or a little older, reminisces about how he always thought about getting a tattoo when he was about 18 or 20... have something unique... but didn't. And now he realized during a visit to the public pool that he has achieved that objective - he has something unique - a tattooless body. Cheesy
HighPlainsDrifter
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 09:09:46 AM »

tattoos are just plain dumb
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies