Iran “concerned over human rights violations in Ireland”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:17:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Iran “concerned over human rights violations in Ireland”
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Iran “concerned over human rights violations in Ireland”  (Read 2407 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2012, 06:37:58 PM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
It seems the UNHRC is still on the I's page.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »

wat
Jacobtm

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:40:47 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2012, 11:45:05 PM by Jacobtm »

What is your contention? That this isn't occurring in Ireland? That Iranians have no standing to bring charges of racism or xenophobia against the Irish?

The United States is guilty of killing countless civilians in its bombings of Iraq and Afghanistan. The United States is guilty of toppling democratic governments the world over and funding dictatorships and covert wars. The United States is the only country to have used a nuclear bomb on another country.

So if Iran's own domestic problems mean it is disqualified from commenting on others' problems, well the United States long ago abandoned its ability to pass moral judgement on anyone.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 11:44:11 PM »

The second one.
Jacobtm

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:46:11 PM »

Ok well then you're living in la-la-land if you think a country that only recently has begun to experience immigration isn't experiencing xenophobia and racism.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:47:56 PM »

welll now i'm confused....your post changed after I responded.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 11:51:42 PM »

I'm also not sure what the US has to do with a discussion about Iran ignoring the log in their own eye while pointing and laughing at the twig in Ireland's eye.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 04:39:08 AM »

So if Iran's own domestic problems mean it is disqualified from commenting on others' problems, well the United States long ago abandoned its ability to pass moral judgement on anyone.

The United States have no credibility on the issue for a long time as well.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 05:43:33 AM »

Th Soviet Union also critizised human rights abuses in the West. So has a lot of Third World dictators in the past. So there is nothing new or unusual about this. They are just teasing Western  democracies that are  "preaching" about human rights and at the same time scoring some cheap points in their propaganda war against the West. 

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 05:50:51 AM »

The United States is guilty of killing countless civilians in its bombings of Iraq and Afghanistan. The United States is guilty of toppling democratic governments the world over and funding dictatorships and covert wars.

You use some seriously negative phrasing/connotations, but I sincerely hope the US isn't finished with any of those things.

Jacobtm

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 01:17:33 PM »

The United States is guilty of killing countless civilians in its bombings of Iraq and Afghanistan. The United States is guilty of toppling democratic governments the world over and funding dictatorships and covert wars.

You use some seriously negative phrasing/connotations, but I sincerely hope the US isn't finished with any of those things.

You view toppling democratic governments and bombing civilians in a positive light?
Jacobtm

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 01:19:07 PM »

I'm also not sure what the US has to do with a discussion about Iran ignoring the log in their own eye while pointing and laughing at the twig in Ireland's eye.

Your point was that Iran has no standing to be criticizing Ireland, presumably because you view them as guilty of human rights abuses themselves.

My point was, if human rights abuses makes one unable to criticize others for the same thing, then we have no standing to criticize anyone on the human rights front, nor does any government really.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »

Comparing Ireland with Iran is a joke. The Chinese government does the same thing trying to compare Kent State with Tiananmen. They are trying to blur the lines between inevitable faults in societies whose governments largely uphold human rights, and those that blatantly violate them on a systematic level, as part of the basis of the regime's existence.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 02:20:27 PM »

Your point was that Iran has no standing to be criticizing Ireland, presumably because you view them as guilty of human rights abuses themselves.

My point was, if human rights abuses makes one unable to criticize others for the same thing, then we have no standing to criticize anyone on the human rights front, nor does any government really.
So nobody can call anybody else out on anything?  That doesn't seem productive.
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 03:25:50 PM »

Comparing Ireland with Iran is a joke. The Chinese government does the same thing trying to compare Kent State with Tiananmen. They are trying to blur the lines between inevitable faults in societies whose governments largely uphold human rights, and those that blatantly violate them on a systematic level, as part of the basis of the regime's existence.

I really agree with your point.
But, is doing this to other populations better than doing it to your own population? Or better than support and instigate other governments to do it? Shouldn't all these behaviours be on the same cathegory?
Jacobtm

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 09:03:39 PM »

So nobody can call anybody else out on anything?  That doesn't seem productive.

Following your logic, that would be the conclusion.

I think anyone should be able to call out anyone on a wrongdoing.

Though I wish you would be more direct about why you think Iran cannot call out Ireland on racism and xenophobia, which surely does exist.
Jacobtm

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 09:08:41 PM »

The Chinese government does the same thing trying to compare Kent State with Tiananmen. They are trying to blur the lines between inevitable faults in societies whose governments largely uphold human rights, and those that blatantly violate them on a systematic level, as part of the basis of the regime's existence.

I think the United States has pretty much always blatantly violated human rights on a systematic level as part of the basis of the regime's existence.

Genocide against the Indigenous people, Slavery, keeping blacks from voting until the 60's/70's, the widespread acceptance/inaction on the subject of illegal labor as the bottom run of our economic ladder.

Not to mention all the illegal wars of agression, innocent civilians killed around the world, violent dictatorships supported. The world order the United States built is highly abusive and violent, and continues to be.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 05:22:25 AM »

The world order the United States built is highly abusive and violent, and continues to be.

Yet, we can criticise the US government in the US based forum. Can't do that in Iran or China.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 09:04:29 AM »

The world order the United States built is highly abusive and violent, and continues to be.

Yet, we can criticise the US government in the US based forum. Can't do that in Iran or China.

Don't argue with dippy Democratic Underground-style internet liberalism, it's a waste of time.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 12:33:56 PM »

At least they picked an appropriate thing to point out.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 01:00:37 PM »

The Chinese government does the same thing trying to compare Kent State with Tiananmen. They are trying to blur the lines between inevitable faults in societies whose governments largely uphold human rights, and those that blatantly violate them on a systematic level, as part of the basis of the regime's existence.

I think the United States has pretty much always blatantly violated human rights on a systematic level as part of the basis of the regime's existence.

Genocide against the Indigenous people, Slavery, keeping blacks from voting until the 60's/70's, the widespread acceptance/inaction on the subject of illegal labor as the bottom run of our economic ladder.

Not to mention all the illegal wars of agression, innocent civilians killed around the world, violent dictatorships supported. The world order the United States built is highly abusive and violent, and continues to be.

Two things:

a) It's funny how you're allowed to say that even though you live in the United States. If you lived in Tehran or Beijing, you would not be allowed to say that about Iran and China, respectively.

b) About your actual post. It's so wrong I honestly don't even know what to reply. I'm completely disgusted. If you really want to hear it (people like you generally don't), I can post a fuller rebuttal.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 04:46:24 PM »

that's nasty
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 08:26:16 PM »

Why Ireland? lol
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 11:37:14 PM »

But, is doing this to other populations better than doing it to your own population? Or better than support and instigate other governments to do it? Shouldn't all these behaviours be on the same cathegory?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies