US boycotts UNESCO after UNESCO's recognition of Palestine (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:48:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  US boycotts UNESCO after UNESCO's recognition of Palestine (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US boycotts UNESCO after UNESCO's recognition of Palestine  (Read 4716 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

« on: November 01, 2011, 07:07:48 PM »

That will be less likely to be approved. People actually care about seeing that funded.

Given the margin at UNESCO, even if a few states defect, chances are, if they ask for it, they will be admitted into any UN organization, where decisions are to be taken by simple majority.

BTW, Mexican abstension is extremely controversial down here - Mexican Senate is raising huge stink about it. There is no way Mexico is voting against Palestinian membership of anything - even to stick w/ abstension is not going to be very simple.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 09:18:21 PM »

I must remind again that this Palestinian state won't accept Palestinian refugees (even those living INSIDE the Palestinian state) and it wants to be a "pure" (Arab Muslim only) state. 

At least 2/3 of the above statement is an outright lie (whether deliberate or not I don't know). Palestinian refugees residing in the West Bank and Gaza are as "accepted" as anyone else there, and nobody has ever seriously suggested they won't be citizens of the new state. Nor is the Palestinian Authority (as distinct from Hamas or from certain individuals) proposing a purely Muslim state (nor a purely Arab: nobody is talking of getting rid of, say, Samaritans).

Until and unless you disavow the above statement, I will not take any of your statements about the Middle East seriously.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 01:39:24 AM »

Before quoting some no-name ambassador in an obscure paper, who is (if he is quoted right) obviously trying to play on Lebanese internal politics, you might have checked the biography of this refugee from Safed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmoud_Abbas

I am sure, his citizenship is also in question.

Bye

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies