Dems: Did you really think Kerry would win? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:51:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Dems: Did you really think Kerry would win? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Huh
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 126

Author Topic: Dems: Did you really think Kerry would win?  (Read 49568 times)
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« on: December 24, 2004, 10:52:47 AM »

I can see Dems thinking they might win in Ohio.  However, Virginia and West Virginia?  With  Kerry's Senate voting record?  That's, well, optimistic.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 04:31:34 PM »

WV is a reliably Democratic State - at the local, state, and congressional level.  No longer at the presidential level.  Things like partial birth abortion and gun control have finally done the national Democratic nominees in.  Nominate a Va governor Warner and it's a different story.  However, someone like that is not going to get the nomination.  Democratic presidential primary voters are just too liberal.

BTW, Hillary gets killed there in 2008.  Take it to the bank.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 04:59:00 PM »

If the party was rational, I'd agree with you.  However, these are not pragmatic people that show up to vote in presidential primaries.  (in either party) They are the ideologues.

agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 05:18:47 PM »

Senator Al, you are assuming that Kerry was a rational choice.

He was "rational" and electable to the ideologues who vote in the Democratic Party.  Incredibly, to them, he was pretty moderate.

In reality (outside the lefty cacoon) America didn't see him as so electable. or moderate enough.

Nominating a Warner is a much bigger leap than nominating a Kerry in the very liberal Democratic Party.  The two are vastly different on many issues.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 05:34:40 PM »

Come on opedo.  Moderate?  With that voting record?  Well, only in  today's Democratic Party would he be considered a "moderate".

And that's the problem with the Democratic Party these days.  Too far left.  If only they didn't have to have the nominee go through that pesky damned general election.

However, I agree with you that the Democratic Party should remain ideologically pure.  (probably for different reasons).

Fern, please tell me on which issues Kerry split with liberals.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 05:42:30 PM »

No, he wasn't buried or anything like that.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2004, 12:56:50 AM »

I was nervous as a cat.  I could see it going either way.  Sometimes, I'd feel better after looking at the Rasmussen poll, but then there was always Zogby lurking with his "it's Kerry's to lose" comments.  Always felt fairly good about Florida, but nervous about Ohio - and an Ohio loss without a compensating Wisconsin and Iowa win meant the election could go Kerry's way.

Glad it's over.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2004, 08:38:56 PM »

Responding to the swiftboat vets would have been easy as pie.  Just sign the forms releasing his military records.  Nope, he didn't want to do that.  Such a phony.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies