U.S. military action around the world improves U.S. National Security
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:32:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  U.S. military action around the world improves U.S. National Security
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: U.S. military action around the world improves U.S. National Security
Agree

Disagree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: U.S. military action around the world improves U.S. National Security  (Read 1126 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2011, 10:22:06 PM »

Not fighting wars, ending wars, and anything like that depicts the U.S. as weak.

Everyone needs to know who's boss, then they won't mess with us.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 03:38:57 PM »

I disagree. Everyone already knows that the US is the only superpower and most have no desire to mess with them. But making everyone hate you certainly doesn't improve national security.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 05:35:06 PM »

it is generally done with the express knowledge that the opposite is true.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 08:07:59 PM »

I disagree. Everyone already knows that the US is the only superpower and most have no desire to mess with them. But making everyone hate you certainly doesn't improve national security.

What good is being a superpower when a couple of rouge nukes can dismantle your entire system of security?

As for the OP, much of the recent military actions have not not improved national security IMO.  Take Iraq for example..What did we do?  Sure we ousted a dictator, but now who's to stop the power vacuum created in the region?  Who's to keep the Iranian's on edge if not Saddam, or to keep their focus off us, and our allies?  U.S. intervention has consequences, and though it sometimes may be necessity, our history is riddled with certain wars that haven't actually improved our standing much at all.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 08:23:39 PM »

Too broad , generalizing and leading of a question really. It all depends on the goals, projected outcomes and possible short and long term consequences of each individual action in planning and then in the how the action is executed.  For instance, Somalia 92-93 was a well intentioned mission to provide relief and build good will in the region. However, it was poorly planned and I think damaged our standing/security by the retreat and the perceived failure.  Other far less altruistic missions have, imo, helped improve our national security- i.e. Yemen strikes.
Jacobtm

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 02:13:52 AM »

Take Iraq for example..What did we do?  

We eliminated both Al Qaeda and Nuclear Bombs from Iraq.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 04:22:40 AM »

What good is being a superpower when a couple of rouge nukes can dismantle your entire system of security?

As for the OP, much of the recent military actions have not not improved national security IMO.  Take Iraq for example..What did we do?  Sure we ousted a dictator, but now who's to stop the power vacuum created in the region?  Who's to keep the Iranian's on edge if not Saddam, or to keep their focus off us, and our allies?  U.S. intervention has consequences, and though it sometimes may be necessity, our history is riddled with certain wars that haven't actually improved our standing much at all.
And considering that none of those of the recent wars had anything to do with that and the extremely unlikely case of such rogue nukes actually being made, the relevance of this remark eludes me.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 05:26:26 AM »

False.  I'm not sure what scenario you're imagining in your head, but it would take a lot more than 2 nukes to "dismantle our entire system of security".
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 03:34:50 PM »

After accidentally introducing the former in the first place, and in the case of the latter 'eliminating' something that didn't exist.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 03:57:06 PM »

After accidentally introducing the former in the first place, and in the case of the latter 'eliminating' something that didn't exist.

One would think Jacob was being sarcastic.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 03:59:53 PM »

One would certainly hope so.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 04:05:33 PM »

One would certainly hope so.

Haha, quite.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 04:24:35 PM »

Too broad , generalizing and leading of a question really.

did you expect any thing else from Jacobtm?  he only of those angry liberal trolls along with Link and Co.
Jacobtm

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 11:58:09 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2011, 12:00:16 PM by Jacobtm »

Love how anti-interventionism is now considered ''liberal''

I'm not liberal, in the sense of a left-wing Democrat. I believe in liberty as long as it follows Jefferson's criteria that someone's expression of liberty ''neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.''

Where I believe government should step in is where others begin to pick pockets and break legs.

The military industrial complex combines pickpockets and leg breakers.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »

Love how anti-interventionism is now considered ''liberal''

again, you misrepresent another's comment.  I never said "anti-interventionism", rather I was saying your hackish dumb strawman presentations SUCK!
Jacobtm

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 03:14:42 PM »

The constant wars the U.S. has been involved in, funding, or actively executing, make us unsafe.

Large parts of the world view the U.S. as the main threat to world peace, because we have invaded oh so many countries throughout the world and funded so many repressive regimes.

You can use whatever kind of language you like to confuse the issue, but our habit of military adventurism makes the U.S. less safe.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 06:31:18 PM »

You can use whatever kind of language you like to confuse the issue, but our habit of military adventurism makes the U.S. less safe.

It's not a question of more or less safety, pal.  It's a zero sum game: somebody lives, somebody dies. Safety itself isn't lost or gained; it's simply transferred from one perception to another.   

But, yo, we make the rules, pal. The news, war, peace, famine, upheaval, the gun show price of a .357.  We pick that grenade out of the hat while everybody sits out there wondering how the hell we did it.

Now, you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you Jacobtm? The right to bear arms is working in tandem with the free market.  One is action and the other is money. Together, they've become legendary.

That's right, the ole free market: the scum sucking mother whore of the entire military industrial complex. It enslaves all the masses, from the dying grandmother rotting away in some overpriced nursing home, to the unemployed brat struggling to pay off his student loans, to the little girl living near a natural gas field wondering why her bath water is flammable.  And for those who refuse to take out loans and become economic slaves, they’re forced to enlist in the military to scratch out a living working directly for The Man

All of this: bullets, blood, blood-money…they’re simply the product of our cannibalistic free market. And you're a part of it. Yeah, you've got that killer instinct. Stick around pal, I've still got a lot to teach you.
Jacobtm

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 12:29:53 AM »

Glad you're self-amusing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies