Interest in Obama amongst youth voters implodes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:27:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Interest in Obama amongst youth voters implodes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interest in Obama amongst youth voters implodes  (Read 1584 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2011, 10:13:41 AM »

The report enclosed in this news article shows that Obama's support amongst younger voters has dropped sharply over the course of his Presidency. While his support numbers have remained largely consistent.

Here is the link,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/04/millennial-voters-generation-y-support-obama_n_1074543.html
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 11:38:08 AM »

One of the reasons why millennials aren't paying as much attention is due to the lack of a Democratic primary.  Many may simply not care who the GOP nominee is because they already know how they are going to vote.

Also it is interesting how the percentage who are "angry" with the government has remained stagnant while the other generations have had anger level increases. 
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 11:50:28 AM »

I'm wondering if these measurements were taken at the same point in both campaigns.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:05:36 PM »

Also it is interesting how the percentage who are "angry" with the government has remained stagnant while the other generations have had anger level increases. 

Youngs are still dumbs.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 12:10:57 PM »

Youngs are still dumbs.

Well if they voted the way you wanted I'm sure you'd change your tune
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 12:13:25 PM »

Youngs are still dumbs.

What is 'the way I want'? Not really an ideological thing though, Americans are just dumb in general.
porker
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.26, S: -7.22

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 12:14:34 PM »

These polls completely miss the point. Obama also has a "Jew problem," and an "African-American problem," and a "white-working class" problem," and a "latino problem," etc. There's isn't anything unique about young people's relationship with Obama - he's lost support and enthusiasm among virtually all regional and demographic groups. Lack of support amongst youths is the symptom of other problems, not an issue in and of itself. Just the media drumming up controversy.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 12:23:10 PM »

Oh please, a lot of young people are disappointed. No reason to deny it. They're obviously not going to flock to the clowns the GOP is running, though youth turnout will be down to its pre-2008 levels which may hurt.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 12:39:29 PM »

Putting aside the enthusiasm thing, it looks like the swing to the GOP has been similar across all age groups - about 5 points, which is a point or two too many for Obama to absorb.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »

Youngs are still dumbs.

What is 'the way I want'? Not really an ideological thing though, Americans are just dumb in general.

Why are you asking me how you vote?  I would never ask anyone how I vote
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 01:15:23 PM »

Youngs are still dumbs.

You seemed to be implying I saw any worthwhileness in the Mitt or the other Tea Bag flavors of the month, unless I'm mistaken.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 01:21:17 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2011, 01:29:07 PM by TXMichael »

Youngs are still dumbs.

You seemed to be implying I saw any worthwhileness in the Mitt or the other Tea Bag flavors of the month, unless I'm mistaken.

I read people all the time insulting demographics for not going the way they want.  Whether it is Cain who said many blacks were "brainwashed" or people calling the youth vote "stupid" because of their dwindling support for Obama.  I don't like that

So why are you asking me how you vote?  

Edit:  Although you did call all Americans dumb in general, so I guess that isn't necessarily singling out one group
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 01:54:54 PM »

You are the one that brought up voting, hence my question.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 02:05:44 PM »

You are the one that brought up voting, hence my question.

But I don't know how you vote which is why I don't understand why you are asking me; I do know that some people insult demographics due to age, race, geographical location, etc because they dislike how they vote.  Like Herman Cain and his "brainwashed" comment

Then you modified your stance to say Americans are generally stupid, so that essentially covers the American electorate and not just young voters
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 06:43:03 PM »

Obama peddled "hope and change" in 2008, but he'll be peddling "fear and poverty" in 2012. In other words, expect his turnout to be depressed compared to 2008. Like somebody else said, this will be across all of his base (i.e., African-Americans, young voters, union members, etc.).

This does not bode well for Obama at all, but going hugely negative is his ONLY "hope" next year, however remote it may be.

If I were him, I would decline to run for re-election rather than put America through this.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 12:17:37 AM »

Obama peddled "hope and change" in 2008, but he'll be peddling "fear and poverty" in 2012. In other words, expect his turnout to be depressed compared to 2008. Like somebody else said, this will be across all of his base (i.e., African-Americans, young voters, union members, etc.).

This does not bode well for Obama at all, but going hugely negative is his ONLY "hope" next year, however remote it may be.

If I were him, I would decline to run for re-election rather than put America through this.

The GOP/Tea Party/Birch Society already gives us fear and poverty.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 12:22:36 AM »

It's OK because Romney will apparently be able to fix it all....

But back on planet Earth, his approvals aren't bad going into an election year, he's beating most the GOP options and more than likely the 'interest' paid to Obama will increase as he campaigns... and his given the complete lack of common sense being shown by the GOP... Obama won't have to go negative to win... that's clearly been the GOP position from day one.
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 05:50:56 PM »

Using my college peers as barometers. The fervor for Obama diminished significantly during the debt ceiling debate but the Republican debates, and the appearance of stabilization from Team Obama are shifting Millennials back to the president.
The thing I get from this survey that strikes with me the most is that the older the generation the greater the anger for the gov't.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 06:32:51 PM »

The youth is too busy being angry and filling out resumes right now to care about the encroaching contest. I would assume that by October 2012 the youth will have left their tents and hemp necklaces on the grounds in front of Wall Street, accepted their sales positions and at least 2/3rds of them will wear Obama shirts around again. However, I will expect they will all be too tired to vote on Election Day.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 08:58:52 PM »

The youth is too busy being angry and filling out resumes right now to care about the encroaching contest. I would assume that by October 2012 the youth will have left their tents and hemp necklaces on the grounds in front of Wall Street, accepted their sales positions and at least 2/3rds of them will wear Obama shirts around again. However, I will expect they will all be too tired to vote on Election Day.

I expect all the angry government-fearing senior citizens will be too busy taking up the entire day trying to find their teeth and then forget what they were supposed to be doing the whole day.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 09:01:33 PM »

Ageism is fun.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 06:21:08 PM »

Poverty has skyrocketed during the obama presidency, mostly at the expense of youth voters and minorities.

Poetic, I suppose.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 06:40:54 PM »

Poverty has skyrocketed during the obama presidency, mostly at the expense of youth voters and minorities.

Poetic, I suppose.

For the love of....
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 09:42:53 AM »

Poetic, I suppose.

For the love of....

Rich white Republicans who have been making money during the obama presidency?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies