Are Democrats happy that Cain might be the nom?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 08:18:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Are Democrats happy that Cain might be the nom?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Are Democrats happy that Cain might be the nom?  (Read 1723 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »

Despite all his shortcomings, it seems that predictions of a Perry-like implosion for Cain were premature.

Republicans don't like Mitt Romney, and do like Herman Cain. They have seen his flaws, and still like him.

Democrats must be really excited think about facing off against this guy. Did Democrats ever dream they'd be able to go against someone who so plainly wants to raise taxes on the poor and slash them for the rich while blaming the poor for their own economic situation?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 11:24:56 AM »

I don't think anybody ever expected Romney and his 35pt ceiling in a two-man GOP race to ever be able to win the nom.  Well, sane Republicans and concerned Independents do, but they're just engaging in wishful thinking. 

It was just a question as to which unelectable candidate they would settle on. Frankly, I'm disappointed it's Cain as I rather like him. It would have been much more fun to cast my ballot against Michelle Bachmann.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 11:31:21 AM »

I am incredibly happy that it looks like the Cain Train is pulling into GOP nominee station.
porker
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.26, S: -7.22

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:21:18 PM »

To be honest, I'm more worried that excited. To be sure, Obama is ecstatic, as there's no one else he would like more to run against. But Democrats should care about more than just getting Obama re-elected; the future of the country is at stake. The tiny, but existent, chance that Obama is caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy makes me hope Cain implodes soon.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 12:40:37 PM »

Well yes. Partially because I think he's a weaker opponent than Romney. But especially because I enjoy entertaining elections! Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 12:42:27 PM »

Nobody believes me I guess when I say that there is close to a zero chance that Cain will be nominated. Oh well. I guess I need to be more patient.  Smiley
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 12:46:56 PM »

The tiny, but existent, chance that Obama is caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy makes me hope Cain implodes soon.

^^^
Pretty much this. I also have a hard time seeing how the tea party can get behind someone who worked at the Federal Reserve. Isn't that pretty much like the institution they hate the most besides the current White House?
porker
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 01:00:28 PM »

I also have a hard time seeing how the tea party can get behind someone who worked at the Federal Reserve. Isn't that pretty much like the institution they hate the most besides the current White House?

It looks bad on paper, but in reality regional federal reserve banks (one of which Cain was the president) don't control monetary policy in the same way that the fed in Washington does. It's mainly a symbolic gathering of local business leaders without much real power.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 01:02:41 PM »

If Cain is somehow strong enough to win the GOP nomination, then I suspect he may be strong enough to win the presidency.

That said, I don't think he's strong enough to win the GOP nomination. But we shall see!
porker
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 01:16:25 PM »

If Cain is somehow strong enough to win the GOP nomination, then I suspect he may be strong enough to win the presidency.

This couldn't be farther from the truth. If Cain somehow manages to win the nomination, it will be because 51% of Republican primary voters are disgusted with Romney and Perry and voted for the anti-politician Cain in protest. The general election has an entirely different audience. You have to appeal to moderates and independents. You have to be non-controversial and act presidential. Cain has all of the qualities that make him appealing to conservative Republicans, but none of the qualities that instill confidence among swing-voters.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 01:20:47 PM »

Well yes. Partially because I think he's a weaker opponent than Romney. But especially because I enjoy entertaining elections! Smiley
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 01:23:22 PM »

Remember the last time that the GOP chose an articulate yet radical and deeply flawed candidate to go up against Barack H. Obama:

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 01:33:08 PM »

I also have a hard time seeing how the tea party can get behind someone who worked at the Federal Reserve. Isn't that pretty much like the institution they hate the most besides the current White House?

It looks bad on paper, but in reality regional federal reserve banks (one of which Cain was the president) don't control monetary policy in the same way that the fed in Washington does. It's mainly a symbolic gathering of local business leaders without much real power.

True but he also defended the Fed from being audited. He just strikes one as too establishment for the tea party.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 01:35:48 PM »

The idea of another 350+ electoral vote victory for the President?  The potential for the GOP to lose Arizona, Missouri and Montana in 2012?  Yes that makes me as a liberal excited to see Cain as the GOP nominee
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »

This couldn't be farther from the truth. If Cain somehow manages to win the nomination, it will be because 51% of Republican primary voters are disgusted with Romney and Perry and voted for the anti-politician Cain in protest. The general election has an entirely different audience. You have to appeal to moderates and independents. You have to be non-controversial and act presidential. Cain has all of the qualities that make him appealing to conservative Republicans, but none of the qualities that instill confidence among swing-voters.

Cain cannot win the GOP nomination simply because he is not Romney. Cain is doing well because he has incredibly strong positive to negative ratio, something which I simply do not understand.

In any case, Cain's ideology is not nearly as important as whether or not he is seen as a more capable leader than Obama. That's what this election will be about. If this country wasn't comfortable electing conservative candidates, then it wouldn't have done so in 1980, 1984, 2000, or 2004.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 01:41:36 PM »

The tiny, but existent, chance that Obama is caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy makes me hope Cain implodes soon.

If Cain is the nominee, it would be difficult for the Right to use this attack effectively against Obama even if it did happen.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 02:11:14 PM »

Remember the last time that the GOP chose an articulate yet radical and deeply flawed candidate to go up against Barack H. Obama:

. . .
Cain is the opposite of articulate.  He purposely obscures his answers so that two days later he can claim he was misunderstood/didn't know what question he was answering.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 05:33:52 PM »

I have several feelings on this.

From an electoral stand point for 2012: Pretty good. Cain plays well to the far right but is getting no love from the rest of the country. When he's challenged by someone who doesn't agree with him on 95% of everything, the deep flaws in his extremism will become painfully obvious. I, and lots of folks, can forgive being inexperienced when it comes to government, but being willfully ignorant of government and macroeconomics, not to mention the numerous issues Republicans don't find important enough to talk about in their debates and stump speeches, is a clear demonstration that someone is not ready to be president.

From a general welfare of the country standpoint: Going back to what others have said about a surprise super scandal hitting Obama. Its incredibly unlikely (if you think that green energy loan thing is going anywhere I have a bridge to sell you), but give that with any candidate the chance of it is non-zero, having a quality and not insane Republican nominee is important. Huntsman is probably the only one of the major players that in my book gets close enough to being a potentially decent president if its found Obama eats babies, and I have my doubts about even him. So on this front, I'm not happy.

From the long term electoral perspective: If the Republicans nominate Cain they'll forever crow about how not-racist any Republican is forever. Having met and run across conservatives my own age and younger who are blatantly racist in varying degrees, such 'proof' won't work on me, but it will work on some folks. It will work well in with the narrative that they aren't against the working poor, just against lazy people. (They're not against black people, just against criminals... who happen to always be black...) If this can be turned into a solid counter argument to point out the constant double speak Republicans employ to pick winners (rich people, white people) and losers (everyone else), while at same time crowing that they hate exactly that, then perhaps we can get beyond that kind of silliness and finally have a real conversation in this country about what is good for everyone. But as I don't think that argument will be made well, it will just be another bit of the Republican disinformation arsenal. And so on that front I'm unhappy.

On the other hand... if Cain is as much a bafoon in the general as he is presently, he could very likely drag down the Republicans in other races. This would have two likely results. The first being the obvious: Democrats retain the senate (for hold a 50/50 tie + VP Joe "F-bomb" Biden) and possibly retake the house. Once the very precarious holdings from the 2006 wave are retained, then the heavy lifting towards growing the Democratic majority in the senate begins, allowing more and better Democrats who are willing and able to push for progressive legislation. The second effect is a little more subtle, but very much plays into the current uprising of unrest with the current power system. Cain is the candidate of wall street. He might claim to be main street all he likes, but when you're the best buddies of the Koch brothers, your allegiances are kind of obvious to anyone paying attention (and general elections usually get people paying attention to such things). That coupled with the mysterious Americans for Growth and Prosperity for Liberty Fund independent expenditure groups funded by unlimited cash from who knows where always supporting the Republicans, it entrenches the idea that the Republican party is the primary beneficiary of the 1%ers and thus much more prone to doing their bidding. As economic unrest grows, dislike of the 1%ers and their allies will increase despite the constant streams of advertisements and attempts to restrict the vote. Long run, its a no win game for the Republicans as the 1%ers don't want to change, and thus anyone who's their actor in government can't change either. And a Cain candidacy will make that connection very strong.

So overall, I'd be ok with Republicans nominating Cain. The chances for a better America outweigh the risks.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 05:38:12 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2011, 05:42:34 PM by vs. the greatest of all time »

I have several feelings on this.

From an electoral stand point for 2012: Pretty good. Cain plays well to the far right

No, just the baggers and they're mainline Republicans anyway. But you are correct, he's popular because he's got that "colorful" personality and he's the perfect token. All that whining about PC and victimization the teatards, fundies and bush**tes love to go on about is classic projection.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 05:51:23 PM »

Pretty much this. I don't really like the idea of the only other party in our two party system being so batsh**t crazy but they've embraced it so they deserve it.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »

Yes.  He's a weak candidate, and I would love to see Obama debate him.  Also, the "Obama's not experienced enough" arguments would no longer hold water with him as the nominee.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 07:31:40 PM »

They should be. He's a complete joke, just like Palin, Perry, Bachmann ect. These pandering punks are just making a complete mockery of the GOP. They make themselves into cartoon characters, shouting out childish catch phrases and other nonsense.

Cain is gaffe ridden, politically stupid and Obama will destroy him in the debates. Obama is a ruthless politician and the last thing we need is to put some candyass clown up their against him.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 07:39:33 PM »

Personally I still think that he has almost no chance of winning the primary (I would give him a 2-3% chance right now). I just don't see it happening, despite polling.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 07:45:42 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2011, 07:48:32 PM by Yank2133 »

I am all for Cain winning the nomination. For starters, he is weaker than Romney and Obama will destroy him and his loss might make the GOP reflect on where their party is going and purge these clowns.
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 07:46:35 PM »

If I was a Democrat, I certainly would be happy that Cain might be the nominee. He's a joke, and he'll lose in a landslide against Obama if he's nominated.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies