The People's HQ [Announcement]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:49:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The People's HQ [Announcement]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The People's HQ [Announcement]  (Read 4443 times)
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »
« edited: November 30, 2011, 06:59:08 PM by Cincinnatus »

My fellow Atlasians, I intend to offer you my positions and hopes during this campaign, however short it may be.  Whether my campaigning benefits me or not for this upcoming election, I have every intention to commit myself.  I truly believe that I must earn your vote, not just assume that the partisan numbers game will work in my favor come election day.

Many of you undoubtedly have reservations because I'm an RPP member.  Some fellow members may even throw blind support my way because of the party label.  I urge both sides to read the platform I will unveil over the coming days, and then make a decision.  A Senator isn't someone you should vote for on a whim, but one you should feel comfortable with, and trust.

If anyone has any questions for me, please feel free to ask.  Otherwise tomorrow, or more likely Wednesday, I will begin laying out my platform for Senate.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 08:33:33 PM »

Endorsed, though we actually have two really good candidates in this race.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 10:36:01 PM »

Smiley ngiapmac ruoy llik t'now taht yllufupoH  .desrodnE
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 10:41:25 PM »

You will be getting my second preference.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 11:09:58 PM »

I'm endorsing you not because of your party, but because we have a history, you know. Good luck. I hope you can succeed where I failed.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 04:41:27 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2011, 04:49:41 PM by Napoleon »

Do you support the administration's foreign policy? Do you support requiring a new vote during hearings for retained cabinet members?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 04:42:32 PM »

What's your opinion of the Libyan Aid Bill?  As a Senator, would you support the Administration's foreign policy, or would you consistently vote to obstruct everything that is attempted, and just be in blind opposition?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 04:44:22 PM »

Some fellow members may even throw blind support my way because of the party label.  I urge both sides to read the platform I will unveil over the coming days, and then make a decision.

Your wish is my command; I will withhold my likely endorsement until I get to see your detailed plan for Atlasia. Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »

Do you support the administration's foreign policy? Do you support requiring new hearings for retained cabinet members?

2 things: 1, this Administration hasn't crafted a foreign policy yet; it's barely a week old.  2, it is already tradition to have new hearings for old Cabinet members.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 05:59:42 PM »

I made you an election sign
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 06:03:27 PM »

Do you support the administration's foreign policy? Do you support requiring a new vote during hearings for retained cabinet members?

I had planned to give a foreign policy speech in the coming days, but let me give you a brief answer.  I"m not a strong supporter of military intervention.  You will never find me beating the drums for war.  I do support foreign humanitarian aid, as long as it's administered correctly.  Giving out aid is marvelous on paper, but if it's not done correctly, those dollars are often used to control a countries people, or end up hurting our national security down the road.  I think we've seen the significance of such a dilemma during this War on Terror.

As to your second question, yes I do support requiring a new vote.  Cabinet members in this game can often wield enormous power in certain positions, and that power should be kept in check by the Senate.  

What's your opinion of the Libyan Aid Bill?  As a Senator, would you support the Administration's foreign policy, or would you consistently vote to obstruct everything that is attempted, and just be in blind opposition?

I completely support the humanitarian aid given to the Libyan people after a hard fought revolution.  I am a leery however, about military aid.  I think your questions is more, do I agree with your foreign policy, and would I consistently obstruct.  No, I don't wholeheartedly agree with your foreign policy.  We do in fact have different views on this issue, however, I find your intentions to be nothing if not noble.

Would I blindly obstruct the administrations foreign policy?  No.  I made it a point for people not to blindly vote for me, so I think it would be rather hypocritical for me to just sign a bill off because of some disagreements.  Government is about compromise, and I'm more than willing to discuss with any member of the Senate, or administration, a way to solve our nations toughest problems.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 07:23:24 PM »

Endorsed, though we actually have two really good candidates in this race.

Smiley ngiapmac ruoy llik t'now taht yllufupoH  .desrodnE
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »

I would rather enjoy seeing your views on a range of issues to see whether you are right of center, and just how right of center you might be should you be, at least in my view, right of center.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 09:42:50 PM »

What is your position on the Right to Treatment Act? Is this a violation of Regional rights? Should the federal government stop regions from placing restrictions on the use of medical marijuana? The Right to Treatment Act says under no circumstances at all in may a region restrict the use of medical marijuana. Does a region have a right to enforce abuse of a prescription drug? What about other practices which are sometimes referred to as medical procedures such as physician assisted suicide or abortion? Regardless of your position on whether or not those practices should or shouldn't be legal, can a region restrict them in any way?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 02:05:48 PM »

Endors'd?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 07:07:42 PM »

What is your position on the Right to Treatment Act? Is this a violation of Regional rights? Should the federal government stop regions from placing restrictions on the use of medical marijuana? The Right to Treatment Act says under no circumstances at all in may a region restrict the use of medical marijuana. Does a region have a right to enforce abuse of a prescription drug? What about other practices which are sometimes referred to as medical procedures such as physician assisted suicide or abortion? Regardless of your position on whether or not those practices should or shouldn't be legal, can a region restrict them in any way?

We need to understand that in this game, allowing regions to debate and set policy on a broad spectrum of issues is important.  Regional legislatures are often where new citizens first hold office.  Allowing them the opportunity to discuss and legislate these issues is important.  Of course, I don't think any region should be setting stringent controls, or outright banning medical marijuana, but some regulatory power should be left to the regions, even if I would prefer no regulations in my own.

Now, let me actually give you a position on the issue.  The fact is, our "War on Drugs" has the opposite effect as intended.  Economically speaking, the fact that it's illegal for recreational use, increases the risk for suppliers, which increases the price.  The increase in price, ultimately leads to more people who want to supply.  Besides this obvious economic disadvantage Government policy faces, there's a moral dilemma.  Now, do I support legalized marijuana for medical purposes?  Yes, I do.  Further, I support its legalization for recreational use.  Why shouldn't an individuals right to take this substance be upheld?  Who am I to say that you can't use that marijuana, because I disagree with it?  Recreational users aren't hurting others because they took the substance. 
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 07:08:41 PM »

Campaign Speech, November 9th, 2011

Game reform has been a primary concern in recent elections, and often, we've seen more disagreement in this area than with policy.  However tenuous these debates may be, it's important that we constantly consider new proposals.

During my candidacy for Vice President, I immediately made it clear that the Vice President should be given responsibility, and I was glad to see the Cabinet Flexibility amendment on the Senate floor.  Allowing the Vice President to serve in a cabinet position [though not as GM], will allow flexibility within the administration, and give the VP further purpose.  Unfortunately, I don't think this amendment went far enough.  We should allow Regional office holders the opportunity to fulfill a role in the Presidential cabinet.  Ensuring that we have people to fulfill these vital roles during a period of low activity, is essential.  Though we should ensure no conflicts of interest will occur, further implementing "cabinet flexibility" should be seriously considered.

Another important idea that has been brought up recently, is inner-party caucuses and primaries.  Caucuses and primaries should play an important role in inner-party politics.  Various caucuses allow for more proposals and ideas.  Getting members active in every way possible is essential to an active, and thriving party.  Of course, the only way for this idea to get up off the ground is for every Atlasian to put their own foot forward and contribute.  Unlike caucuses, primaries can and should be legally binding.  Atlasia is after all, an election game, and creating binding primary elections may result in more interest within parties.

Finally, I completely support the Empowering Regions in Elections Amendment and I hope to eventually see a similar form of this bill pass.  Regions should be afforded control over how Class A Senators are elected.  They are regional seats after all, elected to represent the region they reside in.  Beyond that, giving regional legislatures the ability to debate methods, will allow different perspectives in each region, and make elections more interesting. 

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 03:47:39 PM »

A quick glance at your new PM score suggests that you have moved somewhat to the left both on economic and social issues. Does this new score simply reflect your views more accurately than the old one or have you changed your stances on a particular issue during the last weeks/months?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 08:39:44 PM »

A quick glance at your new PM score suggests that you have moved somewhat to the left both on economic and social issues. Does this new score simply reflect your views more accurately than the old one or have you changed your stances on a particular issue during the last weeks/months?

Both actually.  My social stances on many things hasn't changed much at all, actually.  I just answered this is important to me unlike before.  My economic score has went a couple of points to the left, mainly because I happen to be more moderate on the issue now.  Most important, while I don't find profit evil, I think that wealthier individuals should pay a higher percentage than the middle class.  The middle class drives the market as a consumer.  This isn't to say we should tax the wealthy an exorbitant amount, but enacting rather generous tax cuts for this higher echelon [which reduces revenue] during a recession, is bad economics.  I'll likely delve into this further along the campaign.  
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »

I like your game reform positions thusfar! But I'm curious what your opinion is of the National Initiative Amendment?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 09:01:07 PM »

I like your game reform positions thusfar! But I'm curious what your opinion is of the National Initiative Amendment?

I feel this amendment further allows citizens to further interact with their Federal Government, and spikes interest in initiative proposals.  Besides a solely reform proposal, I find this to be an admirable implementation of direct democracy.  I think the only part that may pose a problem is the requirement of only ten signatures, which I'm not sure takes much.  I personally preferred closer to the original number of signatures, but if I were in the Senate, I would vote in favor of the amended text.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 10:03:16 PM »

You are so endorsed!
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 04:58:23 PM »

Thank you.  You're endorsement means a lot Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 08:52:20 PM »

I'm not really sure how to read PM scores, but I'm guessing yours means: very economically liberal, moderate economically Conservative?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2011, 10:53:13 PM »

Endorsed

I'm not really sure how to read PM scores, but I'm guessing yours means: very economically liberal, moderate economically Conservative?

Something doesn't work with this question. Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies